Barbarian Invasion Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Demo discussion
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09 August 2005 17:31 EDT (US)   
I have just played the tutorial of the demo and have some questions.

What does the shield wall do? Is it the same thing as the phalanx now that the greeks are gone?

Did they fix the charge bonus thing because now units show their charge power and it indicates the game is paying more attention to charge bonus, maybe they fixed it, would someone do some testings plz?

Will we be able to keep playing the old factions with this game?

Patience is a virtue.
Replies:
posted 09 August 2005 17:36 EDT (US)     1 / 45  
As I understand there will be all new factions for the BI, the old factions will not exist. You could always mod to have the old ones, not sure what purpose it would serve though.

Tuke

Talent does what it can; genius does what it must.

[This message has been edited by Tuke (edited 08-09-2005 @ 06:05 PM).]

posted 09 August 2005 18:01 EDT (US)     2 / 45  
Shield wall, from what I've experienced playing the demo thus far, is nothing more than a simple defensive block. Wether it's to help save a troop, or to buy time for a cavalry-flank attack, it's just a way of halting an enemy advance. (It also seemed like an effective shield against arrows).

As for the old factions, I don't think so. There's Rome: Total War for that. ;D

posted 09 August 2005 19:09 EDT (US)     3 / 45  
Okay the way TW games have always worked for their expansion campagins is you can choose between the original campagin and the expansion campagin. They are completely seperate from each other. When you go to play a custom battle you will hav to choose between the original era and the X-pack era before you start. When you go to the campagin selection you will choose between the imperial campagin and the barbarian invasion campagin.

Also CA said the demo has none of the gameplay tweaks that the finished product will have.

Your monarchist friend Lars

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

posted 09 August 2005 20:09 EDT (US)     4 / 45  
My reaction to the demo was...meh. The AI seems just as bad, if not worse. As the Romans in Chalons, I used those Scorpions mounted on the chariots to completely slaughter the Hunnic force. I took out most of their forces with my Alan Horse Archers and my Scorpions on carts. Pretty sad that they did next to nothing to stop me. They sent their cavalry at me one by one, and I slaughtered them. After a while, I just got tired of it, withdrew my horsearchers and Scorpions then threw my army at one unit and watched them fight. I ended up winning a clear victory. I actually lost Badon Hill the first time. That was because I sent my cavalry to capture and hold the other bank of the river, but the onagers seem to prefer to let boulders capture the other side. A flaming onager round went rogue and killed Flavius Artorius as he was crossing the river with my cavalry. The second time, I sent my infantry in first. The onagers stopped firing, and I rushed my cavalry across the bank and slaughtered everyone left, then ran to rescue the other general.

It's got a lot of issues, but looking more closely at it, I think they can be ironed out. The demo is horridly incomplete. Using Alt-attack, the Germanic Bodyguards take their spears and swing them like swords. In the Badon Hill battle, with the Alemanni, I managed to rout all of the Saxon forces attacking the hill. One final wave came in to attack, but they didn't stay. At the base of the hill, they routed for no apparent reason. I really hope this improves.

On another note, I LOVE the morale messages. A welcome throwback to Medieval Total War. Now if only the soldiers would fight as hard as they do in Medieval.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Ace Cataphract (edited 08-09-2005 @ 09:30 PM).]

posted 09 August 2005 21:32 EDT (US)     5 / 45  
Well how is the shield wall different from the phalanx? besides that shield wall troops don't have long spears?

Is it possible to play a game like Greeks vs. Franks in the Skirmish mode?

Patience is a virtue.
posted 09 August 2005 21:50 EDT (US)     6 / 45  
But shield wall really isn't anything like phalanx. In shield wall, they have a densely packed formation that's hard to break. Soldiers in shield wall can also charge. In phalanx, it's far more inflexible and relies on the spears for defense instead of the shields.

If it's anything like Medieval, you won't be able to play expansion factions vs original ones.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 09 August 2005 22:22 EDT (US)     7 / 45  
The A.I needs some work. When I did Badon Hill with the Saxons the Romano-British just sat on their side of the river while I slaughtered the Alemanni on the hill. And Chalone wasn't mutch of a challenge. The units and barbarian interface look good and the game it has a nice feel to it, but the A.I doesn't seem to be improved.

Quote:

On another note, I LOVE the morale messages. A welcome throwback to Medieval Total War.

Yah, that was a nice surprise.

____/----\----(¯\--(-8-)--/¯)----/----\____
----•(¯\-{/\} /\ ¯][¯ (¯ }{ |- (_) [_ - () |\| |¯-)•----
¯¯¯¯\----/----(_/-(-8-)-\_)----\----/¯¯¯¯
posted 09 August 2005 22:29 EDT (US)     8 / 45  
I have a problem. Hopefully the screenshots will help. I can't run the exe.

[JPEG, (167.96 KB)]

[JPEG, (172.04 KB)]

?

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 09 August 2005 22:44 EDT (US)     9 / 45  
If I'm not mistaken you are viewing the contents of the zipped Barbarian Invasion folder, and trying to run the exe while it's zipped. You have to go back and extract the whole folder to a location (mine's on my desktop for now), and then you run the exe.

posted 09 August 2005 23:26 EDT (US)     10 / 45  
Did anyone experience a performance drop in the demo, as compared to RTW?

ESO: Pagasaeus
posted 09 August 2005 23:29 EDT (US)     11 / 45  
At Badon Hill, yes. It seemed to slow down when I got near the river crossing in the pre-battle cutscene.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 09 August 2005 23:30 EDT (US)     12 / 45  
I noticed a significant degrade in performance. In BI, the battle of Bardon Hill, seems really boxy and rough. The trees radiate upward into the sky. It seems to only happen on night battles with BI, but even then on RTW in custom battles my computer never had difficulties with night battles. My guess is it's those damn torches.

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 10 August 2005 00:24 EDT (US)     13 / 45  
My feelings are somewhat mixed. The AI sometimes acts quite cleverly (I faced some tricky flanking manouvers), at other times plain stupid. I am afraid we probably cannot judge from the demo battles alone.

On the other hand I had the feeling that quite a few of the units last longer and do not rout at first impact. Strangely for the era cavalry seems toned down.

At one of the custom battles (from the additional battle pack) a unit of archers and one of bucelarii did quite some damage on skirmish mode, practically routing three Saxon units with missiles and another two in mellee, so they may actually turn out to be quite usefull. So far I could single out the Bucelarii and the mounted ballistae as promising.

The schiltron formation does some good job too and opens some new opportunities for infantry. You can use those troops in flanking attacks or to draw the enemy to surround them and then hit them in the rear. And the units in schiltron seem to last longer.

Otherwise - not really impressed, especially since it looks as if there will be less variety amongst factions and most will have similar troops. I am starting to miss Britain and Parthia. But let's wait and see.

posted 10 August 2005 00:31 EDT (US)     14 / 45  
I agree. But you have to realize something: of course many of the factions are going to have the same troops. For the most part, they are using what once was Rome's greatest legionaries.

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 10 August 2005 04:30 EDT (US)     15 / 45  
Cmon its only a demo, it won't be like this when its released (i hope)

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
posted 10 August 2005 04:52 EDT (US)     16 / 45  
To answer the original question, a shieldwall isn't the same as a phalanx.

The shield wall is a formation available to some (mainly barbarian) units. The unit ‘locks’ itself in position, presenting an almost-impregnable front to the enemy as shields are overlapped. This grants a massive defensive bonus, but means that the unit is vulnerable if attacked in the flanks or rear. Units in a shield wall formation can still move, but they are slow and not quite as defensively effective. It isn't - and this is an important proviso - limited only to spear troops. The Saxon Hearth Troops are heavy swordsmen and are capable of using the shield wall.

----

Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

posted 10 August 2005 07:15 EDT (US)     17 / 45  
You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you here. My many thanks to you for visiting us. I was always hoping we'd see a blue person here someday.

posted 10 August 2005 12:02 EDT (US)     18 / 45  
It's like London buses...you wait for ages and then two come along at once

Intrepid C I F ~ C.A Staff

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
posted 10 August 2005 12:23 EDT (US)     19 / 45  
To be honest, this has to be one of the greatest moments in my life so far. Since the day RTWH was founded, we have been waiting for the army of blue names to pop up around the forums.

Again, many thanks for joining us, Intrepid C I F and CaptainFishpants!

Is there, by the way, any chance of us seeing you guys on this week's forum party? I have always wanted to lock horns with the developers... or more accurately, show them the ropes!

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 08-10-2005 @ 10:47 PM).]

posted 10 August 2005 14:49 EDT (US)     20 / 45  
On the whole, I liked it. This demo surely had much more than the RTW demo. The units feel more diverse than the units in RTW. The only thing I didn't particularly like is the Ballista Carriage.

ESO: Pagasaeus

[This message has been edited by Imperatorius (edited 08-10-2005 @ 02:49 PM).]

posted 10 August 2005 17:02 EDT (US)     21 / 45  
Many appologies for the stupid question, but what is an Ambassador (VIP) in blue. Appologies again...
posted 10 August 2005 17:14 EDT (US)     22 / 45  
Those are none other than the developers of Rome: Total War.

(And don't feel bad for not knowing. I don't think we've had one here before.)

posted 10 August 2005 18:07 EDT (US)     23 / 45  
Wow, some VIPS! Welcome!

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 10 August 2005 18:33 EDT (US)     24 / 45  
Avē CaptainFishpants and Intrepid C I F! Welcome to RTWH.

posted 10 August 2005 19:37 EDT (US)     25 / 45  
The.........developers!?!??!ooooo..........awwww...

"The Best defence is a good attack".
But if I don't hold my tongue, it would fall out!-KaiserWinterfelt
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » Demo discussion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames