You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Barbarian Invasion Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: More civilizations than have been announced?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 13 August 2005 13:24 EDT (US)   
If you open up the descr_regions.txt file there are some interesting things in there.

The first settlement listed is Caledonica which has two groups under it, the Celts who have been announced, and the Pictii who have not been.

Next settlement has Saxons who have been announced and Angles who have not been.

Below that there are the Slavs and Vandals. Then there are the Saka. For Hibernia there are Scotii. Further down are the Burgundii. Frisii. Chatti. Lombardi. Etc etc etc.

Since I never really messed around with modding much I don't really know what I am looking at but I think they are either a lot of different civs, or it is just a description for the rebels.

Hopefully it's the former. That would be great.

Replies:
posted 13 August 2005 13:26 EDT (US)     1 / 36  
Oh and also from the file we can see that there are only 3 religions unfortunately, Paganism, Christianity, and Zoroastroism.
posted 13 August 2005 13:45 EDT (US)     2 / 36  
Your mistaking full factions and rebel factions. As for the religions I hope that pagaism just means the plethora of temples that every culture had plus east and west chrisitan and Zoroastroism.

Your monarchist friend Lars

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

posted 13 August 2005 15:17 EDT (US)     3 / 36  
I have known that Zoroastroism was gonna be in the game for a while.
posted 13 August 2005 15:58 EDT (US)     4 / 36  
Those Pictii, Burgundii, Frisii, Chatti, Lombardi, etc. tribes are all rebels. Some of them are present in the the original game.

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 13 August 2005 21:21 EDT (US)     5 / 36  
This does give us more info about how the civil wars and rebellions will be handled.

Also, if these events result in the creation of new factions, it sounds like the game will have a heck of a lot of variety.

posted 14 August 2005 04:06 EDT (US)     6 / 36  
The Frisii !!!! Wow now I have to have the expansion pack.

Friesian

posted 15 August 2005 06:38 EDT (US)     7 / 36  
They're only in as a rebel faction... not even a faction. It's just that when you have a rebellion they'll show up as belonging to the Frisii.
posted 17 August 2005 12:57 EDT (US)     8 / 36  
In terms of religion you are right about Paganism being a grouping for all religions of pagan character.

It was our feeling that *generally* the *pagan* religions of the period, while not always friendly, didnt feel the antagonism to each other that the Christians and Zoroastrians did. So we divided them in to these 3 groups for purposes of influence, unrest and disorder.

There is some further detailing of these religions in the vices and virtues and ancillaries that any faction character can gain. So for example a "pious" christian character may indeed have one of the appropriate Saints of the period as an ancillary.

Intrepid C I F

Intrepid C I F ~ C.A Staff

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
posted 17 August 2005 13:39 EDT (US)     9 / 36  
Sounds like you guys are adding a lot of depth to the game. Anything that adds variety and replayability is much appreciated.

I've probably put hundreds of hours into playing RTW, and it looks like BI will be even more interesting.

posted 19 August 2005 15:37 EDT (US)     10 / 36  
OOh goodie, I can seize Rome, declare us all Christians, and start the crusades 700 years early! hmm....possibilities.

Crusade! Our brothers in the East need out swords to subdue the Infidel! The Saracen defiles the Sepulchre and is at the gates of the Roman emperor!. Ride! Ride ye holy soldiers to Jerusalem! Byzantium calls for aid...Christ and the Virgin weep at the blood of martyrs spilled on holy pilgrimages! Crusade! -Medieval 2: Total War
posted 19 August 2005 19:03 EDT (US)     11 / 36  
Or you could have one of the aisa minor civ declare cristion and have the crusades the other way around.

Only the good guys win...
Not because they nice but because they get to write it down in the books.

In other news check out this my first sig add...
Its to good old uh, halo the conquerers forums, if you like halo, and you like AoK then go on down!!

posted 29 August 2005 07:06 EDT (US)     12 / 36  

Quote:

The Frisii !!!! Wow now I have to have the expansion pack.

...there's a little town called Campus Frisii.

That would make us rebels, wouldn't it Friesian?

Fryslân Boppe!

GdB

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract
posted 29 August 2005 07:24 EDT (US)     13 / 36  
Yea, we are Friesian rebels.
Possible names for their generals: Redbad, Aldgillis or Finn. These are famous names of old Friesian kings who fought against the Franks. These persons where from a period a bit later then the BI settings but it would be fun to see them appear in the game.

Friesian

posted 29 August 2005 10:10 EDT (US)     14 / 36  
Actually Campus Frisii belongs to the Saxons. It's their land, which they leave as soon as the Franks come and kick their asses.

posted 29 August 2005 21:30 EDT (US)     15 / 36  
It's like that today in Germany. After all, the Friesians come from Niedersachsen, don't they?

Anyway, those groups you listed were rebel groups. Besides the playable factions, unless some start out in hordes, then the only other (unplayable) factions are the Celts, Burgundii, Roxolani, and Berbers. Assuming the file I found was complete, which I have suspicions that it's not.

P.S. Plus there are supposed to be factions that are created after separating with another faction, like the Romano-British.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Ace Cataphract (edited 08-29-2005 @ 10:13 PM).]

posted 30 August 2005 04:47 EDT (US)     16 / 36  
By looking through demo pack files, I've seen following lines:

Emergent_Romano_British_Text_01_Title
Emergent_Romano_British_Text_01_Text1
Emergent_Slavs_Text_01_Title
Emergent_Slavs_Text_01_Text1
Emergent_Ostrogoths_Text_01_Title
Emergent_Ostrogoths_Text_01_Text1
Emergent_White_Huns_Text_01_Title
Emergent_White_Huns_Text_01_Text1

Should give idea for some factions that could appear later in the game.

BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack
Romano British provincial campaign
posted 30 August 2005 05:16 EDT (US)     17 / 36  

Quote:

It's like that today in Germany. After all, the Friesians come from Niedersachsen, don't they?

*Waits for an angry reaction*

To bad the Tubantes aren't in.

EDIT:

Quoted from descr_regions:

legion: Caledonica

(...........................)

legion: Barbaricorum

(...........................)

legion: Barbaricorum

Does this mean legions get named after the territory they're recruited?

"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?"- Joseph Stalin
"Tell my son Joseph he will meet my divisions in eternity"- Pope Pius XI
"The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies." -Napoleon Bonaparte.
"HISTORY, n: An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools"- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

[This message has been edited by Gaius Cornelius (edited 08-30-2005 @ 05:30 AM).]

posted 30 August 2005 15:56 EDT (US)     18 / 36  
I guess not. Because if you train 5 legions in Caldonica, you'd have 5 Legions Caldonica. Would be a bit weird wouldn't it?

--: I really wish I could come up with something unique and interessting to say here :--
posted 30 August 2005 20:32 EDT (US)     19 / 36  
I've got an odd theory. Maybe you get certain bonuses by assigning a large army to a region and you can only assign one army to each region. Say you have one that you want to assign to Venetia, it would become the (whatever number) Legion Italica. And whenever it's in Italy, it gets certain bonuses or gets certain bonuses due to being assigned to Italy.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 31 August 2005 10:32 EDT (US)     20 / 36  
Actually if the commentine 1st cohort gave the unit designation it would work. It would mean that you wouldn't be able to have more than one 1st cohort in one stack.

EDIT this is what I mean. You train a 1st cohort in say a Gallic province and it gives the stack it's in the title Legio II Gallia (the number is based on the number of 1st cohorts you have).

[This message has been edited by lars573 (edited 08-31-2005 @ 10:37 AM).]

posted 01 September 2005 01:10 EDT (US)     21 / 36  
Having clones of Goths (the Ostrogoths) and Huns (White Huns) will be good for multiplayer if they don't fix the same factions on one side rule. Have there been any other word on these two factions? I bet the Ostrogoths will emerge if the Huns gain control and then lose control of gothic homelands. The White Huns will probably just appear as a horde at a set date in Northern persia.

ESO: Pagasaeus

[This message has been edited by Imperatorius (edited 09-01-2005 @ 01:50 AM).]

posted 01 September 2005 03:39 EDT (US)     22 / 36  
Is there anything about Dacian factions...?
posted 01 September 2005 13:32 EDT (US)     23 / 36  
No Dacian faction. The Goths occupy where Dacia was.

posted 01 September 2005 14:34 EDT (US)     24 / 36  
That is lame... not even Romano-Dacian?
posted 01 September 2005 15:19 EDT (US)     25 / 36  
Well I am looking foward to the celts cause I will finally have a side that is who my ancestors were (the scottish). As long as the celts get caledonian and irish units I will be happy. I really wish they did put the scotti and picts in though cause united celts was never historically accurate.

Help save lives of wolves. Sign this petition now.

http://www.savealaskawolves.org/

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » More civilizations than have been announced?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames