Please login or register

Barbarian Invasion Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interesting File in the BI demo
posted 28 August 2005 14:38 EDT (US)   
I found a pretty nice file in the BI demo. Go to the demo's directory then go into the folder titled "bi" then "data" then "world" then "maps" then "base" then open the file called "descr_regions". It lists (not in order that I list them) the regions, the owner, what the Legions created there are called, the rebel group that pops out of that region, its capital city, the percentage of each religion in the region, and the resources in the region (it also lists some numbers that I haven't been able to figure out).

It confirmed the existance of the Celts, Burgundii, Roxolani, and Berbers.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that CA wouldn't have put this here unless they didn't care or wanted people to see it and the information in it. After all, the demo has no campaign map, and that's what the particular file is for.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Ace Cataphract (edited 08-28-2005 @ 10:35 PM).]

Replies:
posted 28 August 2005 16:02 EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Woah quite a find there! Seems like CA should be careful what they put in these demo's lol!

In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons.

Download my first map, please comment! http://stronghold.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2659

posted 28 August 2005 16:34 EDT (US)     2 / 15  
CA would be a dumb company indeed if they didn't know that we would find these things. I don't think they really care
posted 28 August 2005 20:24 EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Been there, done that.
Nice info, indeed.

BTW, something just came to mind; Sussex (where the CA headquarters are located) was one of the settlements founded by the Saxons. This might explain MikeB's predilection for them.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 08-28-2005 @ 08:28 PM).]

posted 28 August 2005 20:58 EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Everyone should note that I don't think this is 100% accurate though. I was under the impression that some factions including the Huns and Vandals would start as a Horde, but here it lists them as owning 2 and 1 settlements respectively. Either the screenshots of the campaign set-up are wrong or this file is wrong.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 28 August 2005 21:06 EDT (US)     5 / 15  
CA shouldn't worry about this, its not like its a company secrete, its just what the campaign will look like in the beginning.
posted 29 August 2005 00:02 EDT (US)     6 / 15  
It is also, we must keep in mind, most definately from an earlier build. The final game may have similar settings, or may be completely different.
posted 30 August 2005 05:14 EDT (US)     7 / 15  
I may live and work in Sussex, but I'm far from being a local lad. Hence, no prediliction for Saxons.

I do, however, have a soft spot for the Alvis Stalwart, and am deeply jealous of the man in the next village who owns one.

----

Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

posted 30 August 2005 10:12 EDT (US)     8 / 15  
lol...the next village.

Quote:

I was under the impression that some factions including the Huns and Vandals would start as a Horde, but here it lists them as owning 2 and 1 settlements respectively. Either the screenshots of the campaign set-up are wrong or this file is wrong.

My guess is that it is the file for an earlier idea of the campaign map. CA has already mentioned that the Huns will start out as a horde, owning no provinces.

Now, why they would put it in the demo is beyond me..

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 30 August 2005 10:30 EDT (US)     9 / 15  
Greetings CaptainFishpants, A valid point regarding Sussex and the Saxons but how many of our forum(m)ers (sp) know the connection? I would say perhaps 50% maybe 55 but no more.

An Alvis Stalwart......sweet.

Noli illegitimi carborundum.
If at first you don't succeed give up for it obviously isn't worth the effort.
Why stand up when you can sit down, why sit down when you can lie down.
posted 30 August 2005 13:16 EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Thanks for your visit, Mike!

Quote:

Now, why they would put it in the demo is beyond me..

CA love sowing doubt and confusion.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 03 September 2005 07:24 EDT (US)     11 / 15  
There’s also a handful of what appear to be hidden resources - britain, bosphoran, sughdian, rome, berber. I wonder what units will be trained in them?

Also, what’s up with each province having a ‘legion’ tag?

posted 08 September 2005 04:39 EDT (US)     12 / 15  

Quote:

CA love sowing doubt and confusion.

A modicum of misdirection, a dose of doubt, a cupful of confusion and a dash - no more than a dash, mind - of absentmindedness are what make up the Development Cocktail! Actually, any files that were included in the demo were almost certainly needed (in some form) for the demo to work.

Quote:

There’s also a handful of what appear to be hidden resources - britain, bosphoran, sughdian, rome, berber. I wonder what units will be trained in them?

Also, what’s up with each province having a ‘legion’ tag?

Hidden resources are used to make sure that units can't be recruited in inappropriate parts of the map or, looking at it the other way round, that 'local units' can only be found in the right locality.

The legion tag is actually there for a good reason. First cohorts - as the core of a legion - in BI will have a regional legion title. Just thought you'd like to know that.

----

Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

posted 08 September 2005 08:01 EDT (US)     13 / 15  

Quote:

The legion tag is actually there for a good reason. First cohorts - as the core of a legion - in BI will have a regional legion title. Just thought you'd like to know that.

Now that's cool.

Does this also mean that the insignia (LEG II AVG) on the shafts carried by the signifers will change accordingly?

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 09-11-2005 @ 08:49 AM).]

posted 08 September 2005 10:37 EDT (US)     14 / 15  
That would require there to be about 60 different Signifers (I made a list of all the legion names there are about 60). If anything it will be a banner on the Singiferws spear shaft. But most probably it will just be a campagin map feature, but still w00t.

P.S. I knew that if the Legion names were included they would be attached to the first cohort. *does happy dance*

Your monarchist friend Lars

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

[This message has been edited by lars573 (edited 09-08-2005 @ 11:00 AM).]

posted 12 September 2005 09:36 EDT (US)     15 / 15  

Quote:

Ah ha! I was wondering what the legion tag was going to be used for. So it only gets put on First cohorts? I'm hoping this is moddable to some extent....

Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire
A collection of post-Marian Reform mods for Rome: Total War

Now available: The First Triumvirate mod v1.7
Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » Interesting File in the BI demo
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames