Barbarian Invasion Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: "Scale 1:1"!!!!! soldiers or landscape
posted 02 September 2005 02:00 EDT (US)   
I realy hoped that the landscape was changed to be in
same scale as the soldiers in BI,giant threes and roads everything,its realy enoying me,cant it be changed,increase the mens size or decrese the landscape's size.

Excuse my bad English!

Replies:
posted 02 September 2005 02:50 EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Erm... Trees are bigger than people. And Roman roads were wide enough for two chariots to pass one another with space left. It seems fairly realistic for the most part?

Remember most 'modern' trees aren't the originals that were in the area, England and Scotland for example were once covered almost entirely by forests. Large Empires usually end up deforesting large areas of land, and the bigger the treer the better the battering ram it'll make.

posted 02 September 2005 03:07 EDT (US)     2 / 27  
I dont mean how much forest itis/was I mean the scale arent maches the troops compare whit the threes,buildings,walls roadtrack etc.,the men looklike "dwarfs",kids.
posted 02 September 2005 08:45 EDT (US)     3 / 27  
pelle is right. The trees are really huge compared to people. In RTW, an elephant can hide behind a tree. Stone walls are much higher than real walls.

SUPERDROIDEKA
posted 02 September 2005 10:25 EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Actually there not. Most stone walls in the ancient world were about 6 meters tall and 2 thick. As for the trees look at the redwoods of the north american pacific north west. If a tree can live for 300 years it will get to be as huge as the ones in RTW. Most trees today are replants that are maybe 100 years old and densely packed so it stunts there growth.

Your monarchist friend Lars

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

posted 02 September 2005 12:29 EDT (US)     5 / 27  
Yes, but the idea is that this takes place in Europe, not the Pacific Northwest.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 02 September 2005 13:08 EDT (US)     6 / 27  
Europe's trees are on average smaller now because, like I said, they've been deforested and replanted numerous times over the past 2000 years. It's totally reasonable to assume trees would have been bigger at the time of Rome because, until Rome was preeminent, most of the trees in Europe wouldn't have yet been 'chopped'. The Celts considered trees sacred in some cases, and never took more than they needed. Many of their buildings were made of primarily earthwork. The first really large-scale deforestations would have been while Rome was in power, which is not until a number of years into the regular campaign game.
posted 02 September 2005 18:43 EDT (US)     7 / 27  
Jesus!!!!
The fact is the scale dont match whit men and landscape,
look at the buildings,walls,roads and houses EVERYTHING!!!!!
BUT can the men scales be changed,is that possible?????????
posted 02 September 2005 22:10 EDT (US)     8 / 27  
I was under the impresstion that it would damage the phisics greatly. I do belive the TW team made some sort of phyics engine that was direcly tied to the size of warriors, buildings and uhhhhhhmmmm eliphants. Just take the yubtseb eliphants, I've seen them hurtle infintry hunderds of meters into they air. Once I was taking a birds eye view of a battle and one poor guy flew towards my camera and I heard him scream. Althowe I must agree It is incredilbly hard to see threw those bam trees

Only the good guys win...
Not because they nice but because they get to write it down in the books.

In other news check out this my first sig add...
Its to good old uh, halo the conquerers forums, if you like halo, and you like AoK then go on down!!

posted 02 September 2005 22:27 EDT (US)     9 / 27  
I'm still confused as to what the complaint is here. The roads are wide enough for 8 men to walk abreast. That doesn't seem extreme to me. On top of which, you are building them yourself in the campaign game.

The buildings don't seem all that out of place to me either. Roman and Greek cities of the period were massive and spectacular. Are CA to portray them as one story shanty towns? The buldings, the men aren't small.

And as to the forests, so what? The trees are big. Trees in a society that doesn't rely on forestry can grow quite large.

Anyways, aside from this whole argument, the answer to pelle's original question is no. The basic game engine is the same as it was in RTW.

posted 02 September 2005 22:28 EDT (US)     10 / 27  

Quote:

Yes, but the idea is that this takes place in Europe, not the Pacific Northwest

Germanic Forests have trees this high as well as Nothern Italy, Northern Greece, Lands close to Russia, ect. Its not unrelistic at all i dont think.

Plue inside the towns the people are the same size as the doors. FURTHER more, go to Rome(in real life) and check out the buildings. There are massive and I look like a drawf next to them, as well as the Vatican Wall. Its all fine to me.

posted 03 September 2005 07:20 EDT (US)     11 / 27  

Quote:

Jesus!!!!
The fact is the scale dont match whit men and landscape,
look at the buildings,walls,roads and houses EVERYTHING!!!!!
BUT can the men scales be changed,is that possible?????????

*does an impression of a Bavarian Professor*

Here, we see displayed, very clearly, three laws of grammatical forum posting, being broken in two.

Rule one - Multipule Exclamation marks are a sure sign of a warped mind. People won't pay more attention to your post if you spam these fellas (unless the attention paid is to correct errors )

Rule two - Random captilisation, like drugs and smoking, is not big or clever, and will not make you look cool to the other kids.

Rule three - Multipule Question marks, are even worse then mulitpule Exclamation marks.

*stops impression*

Seriously though, Trees were bigger back then, and people, were on average, shorter then modern people.
Be fair though, most games do not match units and buildings to the exact scale they should be. And to be frank, I couldn't really care about it. Gameplay is what counts boys and girls, gameplay.

WWW.C3LL.NET - War is C3ll
Official RTWH Spelling Enforcement Officer
Voted The Most Normal Looking Forumer, 2005
The saddest sight in all the world is a battle lost. The second saddest sight is a battle won.

[This message has been edited by Blunderboy (edited 09-03-2005 @ 07:21 AM).]

posted 03 September 2005 13:33 EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Ok true but is there a way to make trees transparent, becaue I lose some battle just because the trees block my view over my own units.

Only the good guys win...
Not because they nice but because they get to write it down in the books.

In other news check out this my first sig add...
Its to good old uh, halo the conquerers forums, if you like halo, and you like AoK then go on down!!

posted 03 September 2005 13:44 EDT (US)     13 / 27  
It's called a "challenge".

Quoted from Dictionary.com:

A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking: a career that offers a challenge.

Life is full of them, and without them, it's boring.

The saddest sight in all the world is a battle lost. The second saddest sight is a battle won.
posted 03 September 2005 14:07 EDT (US)     14 / 27  
It would be neat, if just "eye candy", to have some men in a legion taller or shorter than others. I'm sure there were some really big legionnaires, and some relatively short ones too.

But as to the topic of this post, I only wish forests had to be more dense to hide in. How are you supposedly going to hide 200 horsemen in a cropse of four trees?

Just wondering...

Life is full of challenges. You can either step up to them, or step out of the way. The ones who step up, are the ones who will someday rule the world.
posted 03 September 2005 14:47 EDT (US)     15 / 27  
In the case the trees are simply a representation of the forest in question. I agree that it looks much cooler when hordes of barbarians pour out of a dense looking forest, rather then simply appear out of thin air in front of a couple of trees.
posted 03 September 2005 21:17 EDT (US)     16 / 27  
Actually John, IIRC, all men in the legion were actually rougly the same height, give or take about and inch. I may be wrong, possibly having confused Roman Legions with Imperial Stormtroopers.

posted 04 September 2005 03:04 EDT (US)     17 / 27  
The Yubtseb Elephants have to go. They are much too unproportional to the rest of the objects and men in the game. There are no elephants that size in real life.
posted 04 September 2005 09:05 EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Well, for a start,IIRC, the Yubtseb elephants are a cheat, and there for, not really meant to be used in the game at all, unless the player gets really bored.

posted 04 September 2005 18:12 EDT (US)     19 / 27  
didn't know that. i have no idea how i got that one on my game.
posted 04 September 2005 19:47 EDT (US)     20 / 27  
I'm probably wrong.

posted 07 September 2005 06:56 EDT (US)     21 / 27  
Yubtseb elephants are a "mod" addition to the game. You must have altered the text files somehow, or put in a command line to get them.
They were never meant to be a realistic representation of anything and were only an "easter egg", put in the game for a laugh.
Try reading the unit description.

Intrepid C I F ~ C.A Staff

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
posted 07 September 2005 07:28 EDT (US)     22 / 27  
I was nearly right about something? That's a first. Thank you Intrepid.

posted 07 September 2005 07:33 EDT (US)     23 / 27  
First time I see someone from CA visiting and even posting on RTWH. Cool.

GdB

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract
posted 07 September 2005 10:18 EDT (US)     24 / 27  
They posted loads about a month back. But now they're very busy rushing to finnish BI and many other projects.

posted 15 September 2005 03:38 EDT (US)     25 / 27  
Is this Interpid guy really from CA?

Anyway, the scale seemes fine to me.

May your victories be grand and your rule be long and wise

-Centurion Triarii

posted 21 September 2005 23:02 EDT (US)     26 / 27  
Yes, people in blue really are from CA.
posted 27 September 2005 10:07 EDT (US)     27 / 27  
smurf?
Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » "Scale 1:1"!!!!! soldiers or landscape
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames