You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: All Quiet on the Eastern Front...
posted 09 November 2008 14:34 EDT (US)   
Here's some highlights of my HRE campaign with the on coming Mongol hordes.

I built a string of fortresses along crucial points filled with huge stacks of units.
This Defensive wall spans from the baltic to the black sea:

And In the West...
My invasion fleet moves to crush the scots! Each fleet is filled with a similarly sized and proportioned army.

For those who havent played an HRE campaign yet, I would suggest doing so. It has been one hell of a ride.
Replies:
posted 09 November 2008 17:49 EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Good job destroying Western Europe you have an extrordinary defence, now incorporate an offense to kill of any remaining infedels. Good Job
posted 09 November 2008 17:52 EDT (US)     2 / 9  
I am going to have to kill them to finance the "extraordinary defence" which is sucking up my treasury
posted 09 November 2008 19:31 EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Yeah lol, I can only imagine the upkeep.
posted 10 November 2008 15:23 EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Maybe you could post the savegame.

Vini, Vidi, Vici-Julias Caesar

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Quantity and Quality are the same.
posted 10 November 2008 17:11 EDT (US)     5 / 9  
So that others could play the scenario? Sounds like a good idea, I'll look into that.
posted 11 November 2008 01:43 EDT (US)     6 / 9  
You will never have to worries about army unkeep in cc2. Even Scotland got only Edinburg with 5huge army around are the best in game finace

not again...
posted 11 November 2008 09:26 EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Looks good, Piggy.

I'm thoroughly enjoying a game as the HRE myself atm too. The trouble with filling fortresses, castles and other settlements with troops to fight the Mongols is that sometimes they'll recognise that the settlement has a huge garrison and pass straight past it in favour of attacking a more undefended territory.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 11 November 2008 12:35 EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Challenge the advance unit of The Mongols using your garrisoned army from the Fort in the bridge if you can reach it in one move then garrisoned that fort with army from the other fort. After that move all your cavalary units from Thorn to garrison the empty fort.

the first unit you send against the advancing Mongols must be expendable - depleting the foremost Mongol units if you cant destroy it.
I see you have good momentum to attack the Mongols one by one.
Force them to fight without reinforcement so even though they managed to get near Thorn, you will fight depleted army of Mongols.
Full stacked Army with 10 units of missile infantry mixed with some reiters, a general unit and 9 unit of good spearmen should be able to give the Mongols a hardtimes.
Put 2 spear unit in schiltron formation to guard each flanks and be sure you disable the skirmish mode on all your missile infantry so the Mongols will concentrating their primary charge with their Heavy Lancers on your battle line.
After being softened by the massive arrows & bullets from your missile units, your spears can destroys any surviving cavalry that managed to reach your defensive line.

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing, Roman Cavalry choirs are singing, be my mirrors my swords my shield, my missionaries on foreign fields
For some reason i can't explain, i know saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest world, but that was when i rule the world

[This message has been edited by Lone Scotsguard (edited 11-11-2008 @ 12:36 PM).]

posted 11 November 2008 17:11 EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Edit:
Aftermath: I recently repositioned my forts so that most are virtually impassable. I glad to see another Reich player.

Lone Scotsguard- I dont have reiters yet, but your strategy sounds good. My garrisons are of merc spears, militia spears, dism. feudals, teutonic knights, crossbowmen and assorted artillery.

I have played this campaign recently although i need to get back to my British Defensive AAR. I completely annihalited (mispelled) the Scots with minimal losses, but was excommunicated in the process. I do have a complete majority in the papal college and reconciled with the pope through a generous donation of 35,000. My finances are sound, I am moving my scottish army to the Eastern Front.

As for the mongols:
Their first stack was destroyed when they struck one of my forts. I acheived victory using anti morale tactics such as a high dread general and rotting cows. I lost half of that army. My strategy involves a rotating system of full garrisons, so I have fresh ones continually on the front, while the experienced veterans heal.

I managed to call a crusade against Mongol Occupied Kiev, and I took it with crusader spearmen. It now has a full stack in it and I am behind their line, distracting some of their full stack armies to lessen their attacks on my front.

[This message has been edited by IncendiaryPiggy (edited 11-11-2008 @ 05:17 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » All Quiet on the Eastern Front...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames