Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Strategy against sallying armies
posted 25 September 2005 23:25 EDT (US)   
Sorry if this is obvious but I recently discovered by accident that siege towers with "fire at will" turned on will attack units on the ground.

The other night as Julii H/H, a Scipii army sallied out of a city just after I'd built siege towers.
I selected all the infantry units and turned on "fire at will" but unwittingly, this meant the units using the siege towers were also firing at will.

Anyway, the Scipii troops advanced on my army and the stationary siege towers started firing ballista bolts at them, completely decimating their forces and paving the way for a clear victory.

Lately I've also started halting one of my siege towers in front of a city's walls so it keeps firing at the enemy on the walls instead of stopping once it gets close to the wall. Sure, enemy arrows do kill the troops manning that stationary tower but the devastation caused by the ballista bolts more than makes up for it.

"We must fight so well, that each man believes himself to be the chief cause of our victory."
Replies:
posted 26 September 2005 00:03 EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Remember to wall that siege tower when it starts burning. Unless you dont really care about those troops in them (like skirmishers).

Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard, be evil.
posted 26 September 2005 00:15 EDT (US)     2 / 9  
I can't believe the 20000th post of the Strat section went to the above post.

sig
posted 26 September 2005 05:00 EDT (US)     3 / 9  
I can.

The best way I've found to combat sallying enemies on wooden walls is to go and meet them. Charging in on the gates means that you surround the enemy and especially if you are using Hoplites or Phlangites, you can quite easily rout large numbers of their army, and follow them inside.

With stone walls, that is not advisable, due to the boiling oil factor, unless you are able to get a worthless unit *cough*Velites*cough* behind the enemy to draw the boiling oil onto his own troops.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 26 September 2005 10:00 EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Er.. pardon me, but I never noticed my siege towers shooting anything.
Is this an early April Fools' prank or have I totally missed a trick?

jwqh,
posted 26 September 2005 10:48 EDT (US)     5 / 9  
You need to turn on fire at will. Its off by default, because, obviously, you'd only want your siege towers to reign ballista fire down on your enemies in very unusual circumstances.
posted 26 September 2005 15:47 EDT (US)     6 / 9  

I have a related question, but a different one concerning sallying.

I had the enemy sally forth once, but when the battle began, they didn't do squat! So, I lost the battle and that's cheating!
We both had 3 or 4 units on each side.
Is that the only reason it happened?

-Yaramir.

posted 26 September 2005 15:59 EDT (US)     7 / 9  
you must of clicked attack by accident, otherwise they would attack.

And i have been able to move my seige towers to certain positions so that no towers can shoot them, and neither can the enemy, and I killed all of rome's prat cohorts that way, 2 whole 40 man units, took a while, and by that time, my men had already beaten their way to the square, and only once I moved my general into the city did they move their people off the walls, and then my tower landed and i took the walls

---------------walls-----------------------[.....]------------
tower................................breach in wall and main army.
general

and then the AI on the walls dont move until you get to the square, or you ove your general into the city.
very cheap
and all thw while your tower is killing them.

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [ŻŻŻŻŻ]†λ†[ŻŻŻŻŻ]
ĞPeace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.ğ
~Albert Einstein
posted 26 September 2005 16:23 EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Just another one of the many bugs of RTW. You turn off the battle timer, the enemy "sallies" and sits there. You can either assault and win/lose or sit there and wait.

Or, with the battle timer on, the computer "sallies" and never leaves. You wait the timer out on triple speed and win with zero casualties. Once in awhile the computer does this and I am forced to replay the battle for some reason, but normally I win with no losses cause they never leave. (they normally do this right before their turn limit is up and they give the settlement/fort up)

posted 26 September 2005 22:46 EDT (US)     9 / 9  
OT:

Quote:

I can't believe the 20000th post of the Strat section went to the above post.

You got a problem with that? Meet me on the field of battle!

Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard, be evil.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Strategy against sallying armies
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames