Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fighting Scythed chariots with minimum cassualties
posted 27 September 2005 15:26 EDT (US)   
I'm premarius Brutii, and right now, those scyths hurt! I mean, they don't come close beating me, but they are like bee's that sting hard and die quick.

I've tried calvary and infantry, Both seemed to get hurt badly before they take the chariots down. How do I control the chaos?

I'm not worried about losing my battles, since the chariots really do kinda suck. But they sure can mow through my lines. Ouch! How do I minimize the hurt? Without phalanx, i can't laugh at charges.

Replies:
posted 27 September 2005 15:54 EDT (US)     1 / 23  
Chariots are good for Killing Cavalry and Breaking/Routing Infantrys.

I think Best way to fight with Scythed Chariots is Archer Flaming Arrow (Does Chariot Horses fears same things that Elephants Does??) but anyway, when you get Scytheds Amok, they may cause much casulties to enemy player, also; he cant kill them in amok like he would kill elephants with that "stick" thing .

[This message has been edited by Poeni (edited 09-27-2005 @ 03:55 PM).]

posted 27 September 2005 18:17 EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Archers, Gladiators, Triarii, elite infantry, and Mercenary War Elepahnts are the best ways to take down Scythed Chariot. If you have to use cavalry against them, the only way you won't take heavy losses is if you stack multiple cavalry units on top of one another (to tighten the gaps), and hit the chariots' flanks.

ESO: Pagasaeus

[This message has been edited by Imperatorius (edited 09-27-2005 @ 06:18 PM).]

posted 27 September 2005 21:34 EDT (US)     3 / 23  
If you have Auxila, they are, according to Ace Cataphract, extremely good at stopping them if you throw three or four at one. Unfortunately, Auxila are useless againt anything else.

Alternatively you could have skirmishers with you, put them in loose formation, and have them throw javelins.

If you're lucky enough to come across Mercenary Elephants, get them. They cost about 6000 denarii but they're worth it. They just trample straight over chariots, killing them with one hit.

EDIT: Also, you could have your legionaires set to Fire at Will, which will take down a *lot* of them if they throw fast enough.

EDIT2: Oh, and one more thing: DO NOT PURSUE THEM WITH ANY KIND OF CAVALRY OTHER THAN ELEPHANTS. When they come up to the chariots, the scythes cut straight through the horses' knees.

sig

[This message has been edited by Bk 101 (edited 09-27-2005 @ 09:37 PM).]

posted 27 September 2005 22:06 EDT (US)     4 / 23  
In campaign i use a couple units of pesents as shields and the chariots go through and the pesents overwhelm them! and then i usully finish them off by sending a cheap but better unit in.
posted 27 September 2005 22:15 EDT (US)     5 / 23  

Quote:

If you have Auxila, they are, according to Ace Cataphract, extremely good at stopping them if you throw three or four at one. Unfortunately, Auxila are useless againt anything else.

Auxilia work well against Briton and Egyptian Chariots, but against Scythed Chariots, you don't want to engage them. Recruit Rhodian Slingers (preferably in Rhodes so they get the nice +2 valor bonus) and Cretan Archers. When the Scythed Chariots come close, focus all fire on them and you should cause very good casualties against them. Skirmishers also work well as far as casualties go, but their range is a bit too low, and I don't like Scythed Chariots to get so close before they start suffering. If you can get lucky enough to find Mercenary War Elephants to recruit, jump on the opportunity. They're excellent Chariot killers, but guard those beasts with your life. They're so good, expensive, and extremely hard to come by.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 28 September 2005 01:46 EDT (US)     6 / 23  
Rhodian and Balearic slingers top the list, whether it is scythed, missile or heavy chariots. Flaming arrows are good against scythed chariots - they run amok, but not against Egyptian or British chariots. For the latter use spearmen to face them (or legionaires or skirmishers at leats) and hit them with normal arrows or slings from behing. As a last resort - bogg the chariots down with peasants and hit them with spear infantry. Stopped chariot=dead chariot.
posted 28 September 2005 15:17 EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Yeah, I'm in a totally non elephant zone. The greek mercinary missile units seem to help fairly well. A number is killed before they get to me.

I can't seem to bog those chariots down. Even swarms can't stop a chariot from "turning" around on them. I just hope and wait for them to stop moving.

overwhelming flanking calv helps too. Those crazy pilla throwers need to react quicker.

posted 28 September 2005 17:11 EDT (US)     8 / 23  
Basically, fighting chariots, it's phalanx capable units and missile units (preferably slingers). Have the Hoplites form a screen in phalanx in front of your army and have the slingers bombard them. Chariots into phalanx = 2 dead horses and a dead guy.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 29 September 2005 09:35 EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Hit Ctrl+A and then double right click on the chariots.

Thank you sir, may I have another!
posted 29 September 2005 16:19 EDT (US)     10 / 23  
That won't work. The enemy most likely has some units other than chariots, you know. Charging everything at an important target may work in something like Age of Empires but it will not work in RTW.
posted 30 September 2005 00:39 EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Whilst I agree that thowing everything you have at one unit is a bit stupid (since they will be vulnerable to counter attack themselves), I think there is merit in assigning a significant force the responsibility of destroying key enemy units.

If it takes 6-8 units of cav/skirmishers/peasants/strong infantry or whatever else you can throw at them, well then do that.

It means you can almost instantly overwhelm that key unit, and then get back to dealing with the rest of the enemy army. The same thing goes for Spartans, or any other key unit that will be a small, but potentially very dangerous part of an enemy army.

Many people say that 'mobbing' is a lame tactic, but in campaign, anything goes.

GM

Stupid questions & their appropriate responses from an Australian tourism web site:

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

posted 30 September 2005 10:16 EDT (US)     12 / 23  
Sorry people, I was actually making a joke. I guess you really do need an emoticon to express any sort of emotion.

Thank you sir, may I have another!
posted 30 September 2005 11:06 EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Parthia, Catapults, Catapults backed up by Archers even better, backed by a wall of Eastern Infantry even more better. Elephants the Best. If you have no compunctions about using the oliphaunt cheat, the Yuptseb Elephants make a killing feild that Hillmen can exploit very well.

[This message has been edited by BGTom (edited 09-30-2005 @ 11:07 AM).]

posted 30 September 2005 13:15 EDT (US)     14 / 23  
Try using Triarii if you have any. Even if they cant form a Phalanx they are still pretty good spearmen.Order the Triarii to face the chariots and when the chariots attack they will run into the spears of the Triarii.That is if you have any Triarii.
posted 30 September 2005 21:52 EDT (US)     15 / 23  
yeah, I'm just beginning to be able to train the triarri. Elephants and rhodian/cretians are nice if they are around, but not easily accessible. I can't wait until marius!
posted 01 October 2005 14:50 EDT (US)     16 / 23  
I like 2 have the chariots charge into 1 of my units then i mob them.I usually only take csualties in 1 unit.
posted 01 October 2005 16:30 EDT (US)     17 / 23  
I don't really like Triarii. Their attack and defense stats aren't much different from that of principes. Their bonus vs cavalry doesn't make all that much of a difference (in RTW the only spearmen who can actually kill cavalry are phalanxes) and they are not very expendable.

My method of killing chariots is to just take a bunch of easily-replacable infantry and put them in one, very thick line where the units overlap and cover each other. When the chariots charge in, there will simply be too many soldiers to be able to effectively break through. The chariots will be slowed, and since charitos have a low defense value, even my cheap, low-attack troops will be able to take them apart.

posted 02 October 2005 23:01 EDT (US)     18 / 23  
My strategy is to take any unit that can stand a charge, both physically and moral-ly, and have them in loose formation. The computer will have its chariots mill about in the center of them, and then you tighten the formation and go in for the kill. I find that to be extremely effective for all higher-tier infantry that can stand a charge, spearmen or swordsmen. Even pharoah's bowmen could probably do it, though they should really be shooting.

GAJ
posted 20 October 2005 19:08 EDT (US)     19 / 23  
As some others have mentioned, I mob them... Everything in the immediate area will temporarily assigned to attack chariots, then returned to other fighting after the chariots are broken. Interesingly, I find the AI will hunt and chase down MY amok chariots, and keep hunting/charging/flase charging them until they or the chariots are dead. And they usually manage to kill off my amok chariots with repeated charges. As for me, I just get all my people out of the way of the Amoks (mine or enemy's).

To minimize casualties, an encircling, engulfing attack from all directions will often eradicate the chariots with minimal casualties. But it takes timing and coordination.

Good hunting...

posted 21 October 2005 06:32 EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Cretans on flaming arrows run Scythed Chariots amok easily. Rhodians kill them quickly. Mercenary Hoplites make a great blocking force and have their place in every Roman army. Eastern Mercenaries and Barbarian Mercenaries (Ancyra) make great roadblocks due to their mass. If you can't take them out from range, let them charge your infantry, but don't let them get away - swamp them and kill them.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 21 October 2005 08:35 EDT (US)     21 / 23  
Playing as Parthia I found Eastern Infantry to be the only effective defence against Chariots. If I could engage a heavy chariot unit with two units of eastern infantry then the result was a dead egyptian general.

The chariots were a pain - if it wasn't for the chariots then my horse archers would have completely massacred anything else the egyptians could field.

posted 21 October 2005 12:54 EDT (US)     22 / 23  
With slingers and Cretan archers with fire, I dropped the last unit of those that I came across in one volley. The whole freakin' thing.

It was amazing.

posted 21 October 2005 14:23 EDT (US)     23 / 23  
As they pointed out, slingers or units with javelins. Skirmishers do okay and so do the javelins from cavalry auxilia. I'd get Velite gladiators too. Keep them behind your infantry to rush in if any chariots manage to hit your lines.

[This message has been edited by Themistocles472 (edited 10-21-2005 @ 02:23 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Fighting Scythed chariots with minimum cassualties
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames