Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Army size
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 18 October 2005 20:08 EDT (US)   
What is your typical army size? Full stacks for all or what? I'm asking this cause I'm trying to decide what I should go with, a huge (but inexperienced) army, or a small (yet well armed/armoured) force. This argument is stemming from the fact that I'm BARELY able to support my military, no matter what faction I am!
Replies:
posted 04 November 2005 04:02 EDT (US)     26 / 36  
And PRAY they don’t bring Onagers...

"I see no difference between war and terrorism. Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich."

Sir Peter Ustinov

posted 04 November 2005 04:12 EDT (US)     27 / 36  
A typical army of mine is

4 Royal pikemen 3 Phallangites 2 Illyrian mercs 4 Cretans 1-2 Heavy Onager 1 General cav. 5 Companions.

If my enemy is a civ that employs cav. archers i include 2-3 Light Lancers in order to reach and engage in close combat the cav. archers ( Light lancers are very very fast )

that is in LAN battles ofcourse as Macedonian Greek

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phillip II of Macedon towards his son Alexander the Great
posted 04 November 2005 04:19 EDT (US)     28 / 36  
I have large army or two (OK, four or five on the borders expanding me with peasants in tow, and 7 - 8 small cav. armies hunting rebels. They are cheaper cav. becouse they can retrain everywhere and after a while they are experienced enough to fight every possible rebel army.
When having them in my civ. I use wardogs for rebel clearing as they have low maintenance and once you make few 5 unit armies of dogs you do not worry about rebels any more.
Has anyone seen rebel elephants? Or chariots? Maybe if you destroy faction with them and than their army becomes rebel? that would be cool.
posted 04 November 2005 04:29 EDT (US)     29 / 36  
It is intersting whether the Macedonians are really Greek, or Slavic.
posted 04 November 2005 04:34 EDT (US)     30 / 36  
No way we are slavs. I'm a Macedonian and i dont consider myself as another ethnicity than that of a Greek.

Here are some historicall facts TTK_GeneralNoob

The Greeks were never united as one kingdom and they had rivalry among them Spartans vs Atheneans Spartans vs Thebeans Atheneans vs Macedonians.
However the fact is that the interaction between macedonians and illyrians and other barbarian tribes had as a result an altered Greek however language that southern Greeks used it as a "mocking" tool towards Macedonians.

I cant be 100% sure whether Macedonians were a native Hellenic tribe or a Dorian tribe ( Dorians settled Greece in 1400-1200 BC ) that was eventually Hellenised by the 8th to 7th cent. BC, the most possible scenario is a mixture of the Hellenic tribe of Makednoi with Dorians ( who eventually made an ethnic group themselves Dorian-Greeks along with Achean Greeks and Ionian Greeks ).
But these slavic guys, whom i cant blame cause this is what they've been taught, for sure have nothing to do with Macedonians as far as a time depth origin is considered.

And that's something that most of the historians community cant shut its eyes at.

The language spoken by the area's inhabitants prior to the 5th century BC, and continued into the early centuries of the Common Era by the rural population, is attested in some hundred words from coin inscriptions and glosses from Hesychius of Alexandria (5th century), as well as some placenames and personal names. The majority of these words can be confidently identified as Greek, and the language was either closely related to Greek, or perhaps even a dialect of Greek. There are words, however, that are not easily identifiable as Greek, a number of which for example show voiced stops where Greek has voicleless aspirates.

There was probably linguistic contact with speakers of Doric Greek (whom Herodotus considered akin to Macedonians, see also Pella katadesmos), and from the 5th century BC Macedonia was closely associated with Southern Greek cultural and political development, resulting in the adoption of the Attic dialect

The controversy whether or not ancient Macedonia should be considered a Hellenic state is addressed variously: based on ancient sources, and on linguistic evidence. Neither approach is conclusive, Herodotus seems to assert that the Macedonian aristocracy was of Achaean origin while Macedonian people were of Dorian stock.

The writtings found however were all in Greek ( aproximatelly 7 century BC ).

On the other hand, a series of passages in book five of Herodotus' Histories (5:22) indicate to many classical scholars that the Macedonians were customarily excluded from panhellenic events such as the Olympic Games, entry to which apparently was confined to Greeks. The Macedonian aristocracy, however, clearly saw itself as Greek and Macedonian kings were permitted to participate on that basis. This was evidently somewhat controversial: when Alexander I attempted to compete at Olympia, Herodotus relates:

Now that the men of this family [of Alexander I] are Greeks, sprung from Perdiccas, as they themselves affirm, is a thing which I can declare of my own knowledge, and which I will hereafter make plainly evident. That they are so has been already adjudged by those who manage the Pan-Hellenic contest at Olympia. For when Alexander wished to contend in the games, and had come to Olympia with no other view, the Greeks who were about to run against him would have excluded him from the contest- saying that Greeks only were allowed to contend, and not barbarians. But Alexander proved himself to be an Argive, and was distinctly adjudged a Greek; after which he entered the lists for the foot-race, and was drawn to run in the first pair. Thus was this matter settled. (Histories, 5:22)
In book eight, Herodotus counts the allied Macedonians as part of the Greek fleet. Some view this as proof that the Macedonians were considered Hellenes before Philip's conquests and Macedon's rise to power.

Titus Livius (lived 59BC-14AD) in his Ab urbe condita (31.29) is quoting a Macedonian ambassador from the late 3rd century BC, implying that Macedonians had been a Greek-speaking tribe:

The Aetolians, the Acarnanians, the Macedonians, men of the same language, are united or disunited by trivial causes that arise from time to time; with aliens, with barbarians, all Greeks wage and will wage eternal war; for they are enemies by the will of nature, which is eternal, and not from reasons that change from day to day.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by MEGAS_ALEXANDROS (edited 11-04-2005 @ 04:38 AM).]

posted 04 November 2005 06:43 EDT (US)     31 / 36  
Very nicely summed up. I'm sure if u handed that in a history assignment u would get an A ish

So ur Macedonian? Just intersted in your day to day life what culture influences you the most? Greeks/ Slavs.

And I'm not sure if u'd be able to answer this, but I think u will, Why did the Serbs want Macedonia included as Yugoslavia?

posted 04 November 2005 07:38 EDT (US)     32 / 36  
Lets make one thing clear i'm a Macedonian Greek who lives in Greece, my point is that because i'm a Macedonian that automatically means i'm Greek. Slavs by no means are Macedonians.

Now as for the name prior WW2 this region of Yugoslavia was named Vardaska, after the war in the mid 1940's General Tito renamed this region to Yugoslav Peoples Republic of Macedonia claiming that the name had purely regional meaning. But what he actually had in mind was to create a state that could eventually have claims over the whole geographicall region of Macedonia.

This was achieved by extensive propaganda within Yugoslavia and the whole world. He rewrote the history books of this state so that a "Macedonian" identity could be estblished upon the inhabintants who later on were demanding the unification of Macedonia claiming that they are the descedants of ancient Macedonians, which is completly wrong.

[This message has been edited by MEGAS_ALEXANDROS (edited 11-04-2005 @ 08:36 AM).]

posted 04 November 2005 08:27 EDT (US)     33 / 36  
Guys sorry to bother you but this tread is not about etnic origins or politics but about a certain game. Everything else is for the baths. Army size is the name of the tread.Anyway it is calculated that every human being has at least 20 million ancestors so it is pointless to discuss things like this...cant we all be friends?

[This message has been edited by Oklop (edited 11-04-2005 @ 08:32 AM).]

posted 04 November 2005 08:35 EDT (US)     34 / 36  
Sorry but he asked me i had to answer, it wont happen again ( exept if asked again )

posted 04 November 2005 10:03 EDT (US)     35 / 36  
Nothing to be sorry about, I am Serb and I know how heated we balkan people can get in no time... I will hopefully get fast internet at home soon and be able to play against you...or with you against the rest (can`t do it now when my boss is in the office and the graphic card here is a bit dated).
As my sergeant used to say: "the problem with us on the balkan is that we think with our hearts, not our brains"
Respect!!!

P.S. I went to Corfu this summer and it is amasing...lots of fun nights clubs, Kerkira is awesome, people nice, lots of old monasteries and palaces to see when sober...and it is cheaper than Skiathos.

[This message has been edited by Oklop (edited 11-04-2005 @ 10:07 AM).]

posted 04 November 2005 18:09 EDT (US)     36 / 36  
Yah sorry , just was interested
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Army size
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames