Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Britons on vh/vh
posted 24 October 2005 10:29 EDT (US)   
I'm playing the britons on vh/vh and it's fun.
Those light chariots are amazing once they get chevrons. Just need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get trapped at the edge of the map or get impetuous and attack at close range (which can happen).

Even at vh/vh, head hurlers cause units to rout with a few volleys. I usually keep them behind a line of chosen swordsmen. Is this worth it? I know HH have rubbish defense but would 10 HH in double line be more effective than 5 chosen swordsmen guarding 5 HH?

Slingers aren't bad but they are a double edged sword in that they cannot be placed behind your own units because of friendly fire.

Heavy chariots are tricky to use and require a lot of micromanagement. My trick is to get them to attack one unit and then immediately attack another unit to keep them moving but it's awkward to do when you need to manage other units as well. Best to use them to attack routing units or units just about to break.

In one battle, my faction leader's full stack fought four battles in succession against full stack iberian armies. His chariot unit alone killed over 800 men in one battle.
General tactics are to wear them down and eliminate cavalry with light chariots and break their infantry with HH volleys. If they don't break with that, engage with chosen swordsmen and flank with HH.

Are there units other than the chariots and HH worth looking at? Warband? Druids? Hounds? Would I be better off ignoring chosen swordsmen for HH?

On the strategic end, I decided against invading gaul (this is mundus magnus) and went for iberia instead because they have richer provinces. It's challenging but fun. The economy is rubbish but that's to be expected.

Replies:
posted 24 October 2005 15:06 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Whatever you do have some units to have hand to hand combat thus giving a chance for your HH to shower the HEADS.Chosen swordsmen are very effective too as they have a good armour and a good attack they are good in hand to hand combat. i suggest you have some cavalry and some swordsmen and some chariots etc. have a combo of an army will work

men

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 24 October 2005 15:39 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
When you fight the romans it would be best to fight almost exclusively with HH and chariots of light and heavy variety, dont use the melee units unless it is in the winter, as they really fight better than the romans in that condition.
posted 24 October 2005 18:13 EDT (US)     3 / 7  
i think you sould use durids. their good melee troops but their that rayises moral so much and decreces the enamys. its like invisable cats
posted 24 October 2005 18:58 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Does the winter-snow thing make that much of a difference to combat ability?
posted 24 October 2005 20:05 EDT (US)     5 / 7  
yeah, my brother showed me the benefets..
do a custum battle with one chosen swordsmen unit versus say early legionary cohort on VH, and watch what happens.
posted 25 October 2005 06:09 EDT (US)     6 / 7  

Quote:

i suggest you have some cavalry and some swordsmen and some chariots etc. have a combo of an army will work

Thought the brits had no cavalry?

posted 30 October 2005 15:16 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
I've had a hell of a time with the Britons because the damn chariots aren't nearly as maneuverable as horsemen. And making a formation? Forget it. Feels like I'd have to take every last city by siege and winning the sally battles because these things aren't worth a damn when you break down the walls.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Britons on vh/vh
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames