Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Marian Reforms
posted 27 October 2005 12:41 EDT (US)   
Does anyone know when the Marian reforms are triggered in Mundus Magnus and 1.2? I have a few huge cities but the reforms have still not happened. Any help would be appreciated.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
Replies:
posted 27 October 2005 15:34 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
I think maybe they just happen randomly, but even when they do, i havn't found them to be that useful. I like Greece and getting Spartan hoplites instead.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 27 October 2005 17:01 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
I think it is very very randomly. when i was playing as the julli family or what ever you call them lol. I took over lots of reigons and had lots of huge army's. yes it was on easy im a noob. But the reform came very quickly. But im now playing as egyptions and ive been playing for ages its still not here. so i think it is just random

bag of weed - £40
skins - 99p
new muse cd - £6
getting stoned out your head on your night off listening to tunes
PRICELESS
"Well I've already been under and on top of 5 women at this point of my life so I guess it evens out." - DominicusUltimus
posted 27 October 2005 17:33 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
It has to be after a certain date (215 B.C. I think), you have to have a huge city on ITALY (not Carthage, Sparta or anything, only ITALY) and, if those conditions are met, it occurs randomly.
posted 28 October 2005 00:32 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
@t LXPeng

Do you know anyway I can change the date to an earlier one?

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 28 October 2005 00:55 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
I've played several Roman campaigns, and the Marian reforms have been really random. I agree with Imao, the Greeks are really awesome when massed in phalanx.

ATTACK! This is Total War, not Total Wary!
posted 28 October 2005 01:51 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
The only thing I dislike about the Greeks is that you can't have a combined arms strategy. You have to rely on your hoplites as your cavalry is pure crap.

[This message has been edited by RomanKnight (edited 10-28-2005 @ 01:52 AM).]

posted 28 October 2005 02:16 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
For me it has always been a matter of timing. I usually send my Greek cavalry out wide to the flanks, then charge them when the opposing units retreat from the phalanx units and supporting archers. It's a simple tactic, but so far has proven useful for me.

posted 28 October 2005 05:39 EDT (US)     8 / 14  
What's the deal with spartan hoplites? Can they only be trained in Sparta?
posted 28 October 2005 05:53 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
In 1.1 they can be trained in Sparta and Syracuse. In 1.2 I'm not sure as I haven't played the Greeks on that patch.

posted 28 October 2005 10:51 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
Greek cavalry really is meek. If your coming up against something like cataphracts, they just come, see and run...

"I see no difference between war and terrorism. Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich."

Sir Peter Ustinov

posted 28 October 2005 20:05 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
I'm playing a Greek campaign now, with the 1.3 patch that came with BI, and so far Spartans are only available in Sparta and Syracuse. If that changes, I'll let you know.

posted 28 October 2005 20:13 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
We still have marian reform threads?

Quote:

In 1.1 they can be trained in Sparta and Syracuse. In 1.2 I'm not sure as I haven't played the Greeks on that patch.

My advice would be to get 1.2. Now.

house won this
posted 28 October 2005 23:28 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
Both of my Julii and Brutii campaigns have undergone the Reforms on the dates 207 B.C. (Julii) and 203 B.C. (Brutii). I had a Huge City on the Italian Peninsula on each campaign, but that may just be coincidence.

To a previous question, you can change dates in the game, and perhaps even events tied to them, but I do not know how. Search the forums.

And as for Greeks, I played them once but I can't enjoy them as much as I would the versatile Romans. My thinking is pretty much the same as the Romans, in that I favour Heavy Infantry.

Gaius Sacratus,
Commander of the Northern Roman Legions.
posted 29 October 2005 10:05 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
I already have 1.3 with BI, its just that I have not started a Greek campaign since I got it. Too absorbed getting my ass kicked on vh/vh as WRE I guess. Its just that I want to start playing RTW again to get the feel of owning the world as Rome again.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Marian Reforms
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames