You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Whats Best against Parthian tactics ?
posted 03 November 2005 02:59 EDT (US)   
I really was shocked after 2 consecutive defeats against Parthians.

Everything seems to go well but their archer cav. stole the victory. No matter how many horses persuit them they just are unreachable, and while retreating they fire missiles that killed my cav.

I'm playing as Macedonian Greek and what i've noticed was that speed is essential in these kind of battles, so i included 3 Light Lancers. One in a formation with 3 Companions and the other two in a group with a General cav. plus 1 Companion.
When these formations were used on the Parthian archer cav. they proved to be very effective the Light Lancers could reach them cause of their speed ( perhaps the fastest cav. unit in the game ) engage them in close combat and shortly after the Companions attacked with devastating effects. With their archer cav. out of the way things were much easier.

However i need replies here cause these Parthians are giving me a REAL hard time every time, that is ofcourse in LAN battles.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phillip II of Macedon towards his son Alexander the Great

[This message has been edited by MEGAS_ALEXANDROS (edited 11-03-2005 @ 03:01 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03 November 2005 03:21 EDT (US)     1 / 19  
Easy. In MP all you need to do is to pick Brittania and get 20 Heavy Chariots and Charge! Those Cataphracts, Horse Archers and Eastern Infantries will be cut down like reeds

Michael Jackson
posted 03 November 2005 09:44 EDT (US)     2 / 19  
Chariots are excellent against any form of cavalry. Alternatively, use a faction with elite archers, and out-shoot them with your greater range.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 03 November 2005 11:39 EDT (US)     3 / 19  
Maybe go hire some Cretan archers?

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 03 November 2005 12:24 EDT (US)     4 / 19  
One way to counter the horse archers is to use a long-range archer unit and put them in loose formation, foot archers usually always beat horse archers in a shoot-out. Another way that you can attempt to fight these horse archers is to form up your infantry line and hold fast, make sure that you face the direction of the arrows to gain full defensive bonuses against them. Horse archers run out of ammo alot faster than foot archers and eventually all they'll be able to do is charge in with them.

'Mundus Vult Decipi, Ergo Decipiatur'
'The world wants to be decieved, Therefore it is deceived'

- Petronius

posted 03 November 2005 12:39 EDT (US)     5 / 19  
I've tried with Cretans but the amount of cav. archers was just too big.

And since i lost most of my cav. it was poinless.

Things improved though with the "Light Lancer tactic" but stil they give me hard time.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted 03 November 2005 14:57 EDT (US)     6 / 19  
If you where to use loose formation then you could cut down on losses.
once you have developed a proper stratagem I sugest that you use groups of unit combs that work against hors archers "screen" you main army of pikemen and the such, so they can be used when the situation suits them.
(that last bit on the campaign map).
posted 03 November 2005 15:37 EDT (US)     7 / 19  
Oh, one more thing. Rhodian Slingers are amazing against cavalry, they are accurate enough that loose formation doesn't help anywhere near as much as it does with Archers.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 05 November 2005 11:41 EDT (US)     8 / 19  
I would recommend fighting them with their own weapons. Play as Scythia. I find it nigh impossible to beat Parthia with only 0 to 15% casualties in competent hands when playing as a phalanx based faction. More than that I class as a heavy amount of losses.
posted 06 November 2005 13:09 EDT (US)     9 / 19  
Rome is also good against them.

On 10k, get 10 early cohorts(or 9 early and one early first), 2 roman cavalry, a general, 2 auxillia and some archer auxillia. Arrange the cohorts in a similar formation to the one at Carrae.

^..^..^..^..^^
...A.....A....
<............<
^..^..^..^...^
C.....G......C

^ - cohort
^^ - First cohort
A - Archers
< - Auxillia spearmen
C - Cavalry
G - General

Now it is difficult for you to be flanked. They can circle you, but they have to keep their distance, AND spread their troops out. They can't send all their men around to your rear, as you can simply turn with them, so tehy have to spread their soldiers out. The Auxillia spearmen can be brought up to counter cataphract charges and to provide reenforcements. If the enemy fires arrows, testudo. If they try to circle your army in small numbers, send your Roman cavalry(or whatever) to meet them. The Archers will be able to force the enemy to keep their distance or use cantabarian circle. If they circle, they get tired, and your cavalry can catch them, if they stay away, they pose little threat. Simply beat their heavy cavalry, then wait out their arrows in testudo.

If you insist on using Macedon, Illyrians can be used to soak up arrows and to lay ambushes. Companions are wasteful on low budget, you would be just as well off with Macedonian cavalry. The Light Lancers are good, but a risk. They are vulnerable to missles, but have better morale than greek cavalry. Depends on how well you think they are working.

Share our wealth!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
As far as I can tell, Baltimore is in redneck country ~ Bored Scotsman
You all realize that both Halo and Starcraft stole their storyline from tetris, right? ~He113ent
posted 06 November 2005 16:44 EDT (US)     10 / 19  
Against some nations, I've found it's easier to resist the siege, then when they've wasted their army, go on the offensive. That can save you a lot of ugly field battles.
posted 06 November 2005 17:02 EDT (US)     11 / 19  
The Parthians are cowards who rarely fight like men unless pinned down. Thus, in the field, I avoid battle for the most part. I merely move in on their cities and force them to fight like men. After I kill them there, I take the city and kill or enslave all within it.

"War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished."
-Julius Caesar
There's no justice like conqueror's justice.

www.nationstates.net

I'm Errikland
posted 06 November 2005 20:10 EDT (US)     12 / 19  
He's talking about LAN battles.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 07 November 2005 01:19 EDT (US)     13 / 19  
Mmmm...20 Scythian Horny Maiden units=GG.

Michael Jackson
posted 07 November 2005 01:53 EDT (US)     14 / 19  
the best way to counter the chariots is to have light cavalry. have light lancers they will cut the chariots to peices as i am also playing the macedonian campaign . i have faced the chariots many times and have countered them very well . never use the companions they are a waste . macedonian cavalry is far better than the companions.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 07 November 2005 04:59 EDT (US)     15 / 19  
After the 1.2 patch Companions are really good, but not as good as i'd really like them.

posted 08 November 2005 09:05 EDT (US)     16 / 19  
I have a similar question, how do you deal with chariot archers? Even at the times that my heavy cav reaches them, they get killed while not causing the enemy any big losses, so I don't have that good hope for my light cav in close combat against them. Right now I'm trying to simply get alot of my own archers and simply outshoot them, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to do it.
posted 08 November 2005 09:19 EDT (US)     17 / 19  
Slingers and Javelineers will do the trick.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 08 November 2005 10:54 EDT (US)     18 / 19  
i am quite sure that light cavalry will do the trick. i have tried and tested it

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 09 November 2005 01:22 EDT (US)     19 / 19  

Quote:

Slingers and Javelineers will do the trick.

Javeline trowing units have a shorter range then the chariot archers (atleast the egyptians, don't know about the other) and are slower too, so how are they supposed to be able to beat them?

And slingers, even if slinger has app. the same range as the chariots, if you don't place infantry in front of them the chariots can just charge, and if you do, then your infantry will also be shot by your slingers, so I can't see how that should work either.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Whats Best against Parthian tactics ?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames