Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Question for the Pro's
posted 04 November 2005 10:58 EDT (US)   
In Vh, when your defending one of your castles. Your archers are firing endlesly at the enemy on the ground, do they actually have siege equipment to get on your walls or archers to fire back. Like the Brit's or the Gaul's for example? or do they stand there and take it then retreat? Just for your cavalry to ride them down from behind.
Replies:
posted 04 November 2005 11:53 EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I don't think this has anything to do with the type of game you play, easy or vh. I'm not quite sure what you mean though...
- Siege equipment for Stonewalls: available for all factions are ladders, siegetowers, sappoints and ram...
- Barbarian factions (all??) are not able to produce artillery such as onagers...
-Archers can fire from ground to man on the wall...

-Bug: most of the time when a ram is 100% damaged the enemy unit will hold their position untill they're dead.

GdB

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract
posted 04 November 2005 12:26 EDT (US)     2 / 10  
What I meant was (and for all you ou there who will make a comment, YES ITS ON EASY) when im being attacked by the Brit's or Gaul's or Galic's, they have no archers or bowmen and no siege equip. So my archers destroy them and they start to run away, then I send out my cavalry to ride them down from behind. Always works great.

So I was wondering if they act the same way in VH, or do they stand there and take it?

posted 04 November 2005 12:48 EDT (US)     3 / 10  
Sorry to only come in with a "guess", but here's my guess...

If you're being seiged, and you sally forth right from the get-go, the enemy haven't had time to build any seige equipment, therefore they don't have any. If they also don't have any missile troops, then they really can't do anything to you... you can sit behind your walls and throw missiles at them. If they run away, you leave your gates, get their attention, and then bring them back in for more missiles.

If, however, you waited a turn or two, then sallied forth, they would have siege equipment... whether or not they'd use it, I don't know, but they would have it.

Hope this helps...

posted 04 November 2005 13:49 EDT (US)     4 / 10  
crtChunk72 :: Ya I forgot about the waiting a couple turns for the siege weaponry. But still, even if I wait a couple of turns before I attack them from my castle, they still have nothing...
posted 04 November 2005 14:54 EDT (US)     5 / 10  
How do you build a castle?
posted 04 November 2005 18:16 EDT (US)     6 / 10  

Quoted from Undefeatable:

if I wait a couple of turns before I attack them from my castle, they still have nothing...

Well, then I can only assume they're trying to starve you out. I know, as a player, when I make a siege, I'm not required to build equipment, I can just go from turn to turn waiting to starve them out, or wait for them to sally forth and attack me (in which case, my equipment would be useless). Perhaps the AI is banking on the same thing?

posted 04 November 2005 18:22 EDT (US)     7 / 10  

Quote:

How do you build a castle?

I think he is talking about a city with stone walls.

Quote:

So I was wondering if they act the same way in VH, or do they stand there and take it?

Well, they have a tendancy to build a lot of siege towers and the like in VH. In my experience anyway. The way to go about beating them is to have archers firing fire arrows where you can and heavy infantry where the towers are going to let their infantry out. Seems to work fine for me.

posted 05 November 2005 09:13 EDT (US)     8 / 10  
Ya sorry, I meant stone walls. And thanx for the responses.

Actualy, last night I got a message from Rome telling me to attack Scipii and Brutii because they were now at war. Im happy that I can attack them now, especially the scipii. But I have to defend my provinces on all sides.

posted 05 November 2005 19:09 EDT (US)     9 / 10  
I've been doing an Egyptian campaign on Hard and until I have my army up to the north edge, I've just had to sally to break sieges turn after turn. So here's my experience.

Siege equipment doesn't seem to show up on the battlefield unless the besieging army is going in for the attack or have them all built.

I've attacked armies that show as having built several battering rams, but until they've built all of them, they don't seem to show up in a sally battle.

Either that or CPU siege equipment just doesnt' deploy at all when you sally. I guess that's possible.

posted 06 November 2005 09:21 EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Another thing is that only infantry can use siege equipment, and you can build 10 siege towers, but if you only have 3 infantry units only 3 towers will show up.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Question for the Pro's
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames