Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Difference Between Macedonian Cavalry And Companion
posted 05 November 2005 02:15 EDT (US)   
I have started playing with Macedon and its going gr8 . i am winning many battles with the hammer and anvil strategy.i want to know whats the difference between the macedonian cavalry and the companion cavalry as both seem to be the same but have diff type of weapons. macedonian have light and companion has heavy weapons. i have tried to charge with the companions but they get killed easily while on the other side when i charge with the macedonian cavalry they do a gr8 deal of damage. whats the difference . i am a bit confused as the companions should be superior to the macedonians.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
Replies:
posted 05 November 2005 13:16 EDT (US)     1 / 10  
Yep, Companion Cavalry were a huge dissappointment. The difference is that they suck.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 06 November 2005 10:50 EDT (US)     2 / 10  
the worst thing about them is that they are darned expensive compared to their strength...

I always wanted to be able the mod the game, so i could make them stronger.

"The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses."
-Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido

English is not my first language, so please excuse me.

posted 07 November 2005 01:31 EDT (US)     3 / 10  
they even take two turn to recruit and the macedonians take one turn .is there a difference between their weapons thats making them do bad. like macedonians have light and companions have heavy.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 07 November 2005 03:05 EDT (US)     4 / 10  
I agree with you but i also have to notice that things are considerably better after the 1.2 patch, Companions now are a real inf. sweeper and they have better morale.

They could be better but perhaps it is so cause these are not Alexanders Companions but a Hellenistic version of them.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phillip II of Macedon towards his son Alexander the Great
posted 07 November 2005 03:35 EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Megas_Alexanderos: If you are playing the macedonian campaign then we can help each other out as i am playing the same.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 07 November 2005 06:39 EDT (US)     6 / 10  
Even if they are not Alexander's companions, they are still Macedonian companions and their effectiveness in 1.1 is non-existent, because the charge bonus doesn't work. This is fixed in 1.2. Companions have a monster charge of 15(or 16, can't remember).

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 07 November 2005 07:07 EDT (US)     7 / 10  
I_Alexander, yes most of the times i play Macedonian Greeks, perhaps if you create a topic about them we can trade experience and tactics.

After all someone with our forum names couldnt play nothing else but Macedonian Greeks

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phillip II of Macedon towards his son Alexander the Great
posted 13 November 2005 06:34 EDT (US)     8 / 10  
You mean Macedonian Barbarians.

(no offence-just a joke)

posted 13 November 2005 08:34 EDT (US)     9 / 10  
I play as regular Greeks. The hardcore stuff, Athens, Sparta, Rhodes. Would you guys call Thrace Greek or Barbarian? Cause they seem to have a mix of both.

I sometimes play as Macedon when i'm doing custom battles, but never against other Greeks. Do those longer spears really weigh in much when it's a phalanx vs phalanx fight?

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein

[This message has been edited by lmao (edited 11-13-2005 @ 08:35 AM).]

posted 14 November 2005 02:14 EDT (US)     10 / 10  
i think the greeks specialize in spears the hoplites. they have only hoplites and spearmen and no more then the archers that every faction gets and the normal cav the special thing abt them is the spartans.so they have an edge in the battle of phalanx vs phalanx as they have better defence and attack.and whats the thrace greeks and barbarians i didnt get it. can you please explain it to me??

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » The Difference Between Macedonian Cavalry And Companion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames