Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Macedonian campaign
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07 November 2005 13:11 EDT (US)   
AS i stated in an earlier post that i have started the macedonian campaign and its really going well. i have the whole of greece and eveb the roman penensula with the destruction of the brutii senate and the scipii . the jullii are giving a good fight . i wanna know where should i go after crushing the romans as i thought going to asia minor without destroying the romans will be a great threat .so should i go to asia and declare war on selecuids and the pontus or go to carthage or go north taking the barbarians???????

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
Replies:
posted 07 November 2005 15:12 EDT (US)     1 / 31  
I would suggust you take sicily and carthage, so as to biuld up a good trade network. Afterwhich you can fund expiditions all over the mediterranian.
posted 08 November 2005 02:34 EDT (US)     2 / 31  
When playing with Macedonian Greeks the 1st thing in mind should be the conquest of Rhodes this +40% in naval trade is really a boost to economy.

Now for your present situation it shoud be wise while having an open front with the julii to create a full stack army for invading asia minor. Greece should be well developed by now giving mid-high quality units, dont be afraid to fight on multiple fronts as long as your economy is flurishing.

However i prefer to conquer the whole of Hellenic core ( Greece & Asia Minor ) before waging war against the Romans, it is much easier to crush them when having all those Wonders helping you, usually they declare war on you. If they caught me in the midst of my Minor Asia conquest i'll just have to fight both fronts.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phillip II of Macedon towards his son Alexander the Great
posted 08 November 2005 03:03 EDT (US)     3 / 31  
i agree with you ALEXANDROS but i thought the romans were a big threat with the brutii and the julii both waging a war against me so it was wise for me to crush them and then concentrate on asia minor .i have the rhodian island and kyodnia below the greek penensula . i have thessalonica as a huge city and corinth as another huge city.my current expedetion is going to be crushing the julii and march another army to asia minor. Should i wage war against the selecuids as their naval force is large and they kill my navies instantly i also have pergamum and halicarnassus. and do tell me about your campaign as well and thanx alot guys for your replies.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 08 November 2005 04:06 EDT (US)     4 / 31  
The cities of Greece are an extremelly valueable invest as they allow big taxation due to their big population. I prefer to have 3 cities with Temples dedicated to Ares ( Usually Thessalonica, Larissa and Sparta ) in order to produce experienced units. Larissa especially is the only city besides Thessalonica that allows the training of Light Lancers from the begining.

The most usuall scheme when playing against Romans ( in VH/VH ) is that the Brutii are the first to be destroyed then SPQR and Julii but the Scipiones expand overseas in Sicily and Carthage and they produce many full stack armies and navy. In addition they always catch up with Marius reforms thus they are hard to destroy.

Building a good economy is the case when playing with Macedonian Greeks because they start with no economic bonuses. When a good economy is estamblished you can recruit good quality troops that will allow combined tactics. The power of Macedonians lies upon combined arms as they havent got a VERY powerfull unit, except from Companions ( and not before the 1.2 patch ) who are excellent chargers.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted 08 November 2005 06:02 EDT (US)     5 / 31  
Macedonian phalanxes have ridiculously low stats. CA should have given them some credit, I mean they did conquer the world. Even after the 1.2 patch, I feel companions should be better as they were the best cavalry of their time.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 08 November 2005 06:14 EDT (US)     6 / 31  
I totaly agree, even though the warriors were not the same the legacy of Alexander remained. Even after the death of Alexander the kingdom of Macedon ( the smallest of the Hellenistic kingdoms besides the kingdom of Pergamos ) was considered a powerfull state that even Romans feared/respected before the last Punic war.

The phallanx shoud take better stats ( especially in defence ) and the Hypaspist unit should be created ( Big shield short sword infantry ). As for the Companions after the 1.2 they are much better but should be a little better, as they were not as good as Alexander Companions ( or Heteroi to use the Greek name )

posted 08 November 2005 06:23 EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Have you tried RTR Megas? Its got two kinds of Hyspaspists, a swordsmen model and a model with thrusting spears like the triarii. They have only 80 men on huge scale, but they get 2 HP and they are so fast-moving that they can keep up with the Hetairoi(which are also much better). Phalanx stats are also very improved and the Ptolemaic Empire is Hellenized.

Sadly, I had to uninstall it as it wasn't compatible with BI.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 08 November 2005 06:29 EDT (US)     8 / 31  
Could you give me a download link, although i went on RTR Megas Alexandros mod, i couldnt find a download link, what prerequisites does it have?

[This message has been edited by MEGAS_ALEXANDROS (edited 11-08-2005 @ 06:32 AM).]

posted 08 November 2005 06:37 EDT (US)     9 / 31  
You just need the 1.2 patch. I'm too lazy to search for the link, but just go to Google and type 'Rome Total Realism Download' and you'll find plenty of links.

posted 08 November 2005 07:36 EDT (US)     10 / 31  
On wat point are u in ur campaign megas. and where are you roman knight in ur campaigns.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 08 November 2005 07:40 EDT (US)     11 / 31  
I'm playing BI at the moment. In my ERE campaign, I've just bribed Salona from WRE, which means they're still my allies. I'm currently at war with the Sassanids. I've put good armies at all the crossings on the Danube and all the boundaries with the Sassanids. Pushing east slowly, kind of hard at vh/vh.

posted 08 November 2005 07:49 EDT (US)     12 / 31  
I have more than 60 provinces and i let Rome go rebelious so i can conquer the whole map just for fun.

The only factions alive are the Gauls, Scipiones, Brittons, Carthigians and Parthians.

Soon the world will be MINE! MOOAHAHAHAHA !

[This message has been edited by MEGAS_ALEXANDROS (edited 11-08-2005 @ 07:51 AM).]

posted 08 November 2005 07:57 EDT (US)     13 / 31  
THATS A GREAT ACHIVEMENT MAN KEEP IT UP !!! and let the world be yourz man. i wonder when will my time come i have about 30 provinces and whats ur next Expedition

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 08 November 2005 08:08 EDT (US)     14 / 31  
I may go for some Barbaric tribe, most likely Germania.

Seleucid Greeks are also nice to play. But then again i might restart a Macedonian Greek campaign!

posted 08 November 2005 09:02 EDT (US)     15 / 31  
Megas, I found the link.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Mods-Addons/Rome-Total-War-Realism.shtml

posted 13 November 2005 06:38 EDT (US)     16 / 31  
Seeing the whole world spread out before you as one colour (your own preferably) is really a sight worth striving for.
posted 14 November 2005 06:49 EDT (US)     17 / 31  
how far have you gone in your campaing I_Alexander ?

posted 15 November 2005 01:15 EDT (US)     18 / 31  
i have stopped plaing the game recently as i had my exams. now i will start again and give you an update on whats goin on. what are you currently doin in your campaigns

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 15 November 2005 03:12 EDT (US)     19 / 31  
10 more provinces to go !

posted 15 November 2005 13:02 EDT (US)     20 / 31  
Great man very happy to hear that . which factions are remaining. i have something about 20 to become emperor and the rest to become the KING OF THE WORLD!!!.and what formation you make war with usually?.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat

[This message has been edited by I_Alexander (edited 11-15-2005 @ 01:08 PM).]

posted 16 November 2005 04:37 EDT (US)     21 / 31  
FINISHED! I conquered them all. Now lets try a Greek cities campaign!

Formation ?

Battle formation or troops within an army ?

posted 16 November 2005 04:56 EDT (US)     22 / 31  
WHATS YOUR BATTLE FORMATION ONE LIKE THE ALEXANDER THE GREAT USED THE ANVIL AND HAMMER ONE.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 16 November 2005 05:41 EDT (US)     23 / 31  
It is very similar to the Alexander tactics, however it varies in form, i.e. i use a reverse V phallanx formation when dealing with lots of cav. 2 groups of cav. in both sides to avoid flanking and ranged units behind the Phallanx. Sometimes i place archers in front of the Phallanx and when needed they retreat behind them. A couple of slingers or Illyrians are a GREAT addition. Also the phallanx comprises of both Phallangites and Royal pikemen ( very nasty b@stArds ). I also have cav. units who are approximately 2/5 of my army.

Phallanx pinpoints the enemy while cav. deals with flanking ( avoid been flanked and flanking the enemy ).

Combined arms, thats the key especialy when playing with Macedonian Greeks.

( p.s caps lock off please, it will disturb a lot of people here believe me i know what i'm talking about )

[This message has been edited by MEGAS_ALEXANDROS (edited 11-16-2005 @ 05:45 AM).]

posted 17 November 2005 00:53 EDT (US)     24 / 31  
hey mine is the same i use the V formation similar to that use by Alexander The Great. i put the pikemen in the V and the 2 squadrons of cav in the middle and about 2 on both the sides. i mainly use the macedonian cav. and i use archers too if its a full stack army. if the enemy tries to flank from one side i move my 2 squads of cav to the other side so as to avoid direct cav vs cav combat and me thus losing more men .i use to destroy the infantry with the cav after the pikes hold them.and the flanks of the open side are holded by the pikes if archers are there they wld support the pikes on the flanks as cav dont have a sheild and are thus vulnerable to arrows. i also liked the fact that the selecuids have legions and pikes and elephants and a good cav the likes of catas and companions and elephants.they wld prove a lethal combination if the same strategy is used. the pikes in V and the legions in the middle and the cav on the flanks. have you started the selecuids campaign and tell me if the strategy is good or shd i amend it . and wish you all the luck for your new campaign Megas Alexanderos.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 17 November 2005 05:09 EDT (US)     25 / 31  
If you want a real challenge try LAN gaming with a friend, things are much more difficult against an able Human General.

If you are from Thessaloniki we could arrange a meeting for Lan game in an internet cafe.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Macedonian campaign
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames