Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: a couple of questions
posted 14 November 2005 12:07 EDT (US)   
1.what buildings do you build in each settlemnt like barracks and that and explain why
2.do you send your fraction leader out to fight
3.do you like to set up a foward base e.g.salamis for seleduicd's and such

plz write your answers

[This message has been edited by ivan the killer (edited 11-14-2005 @ 12:08 PM).]

Replies:
posted 14 November 2005 12:37 EDT (US)     1 / 8  
First, I build up the economy.
1. Ports.
2. Farms.
3. Roads
4. Traders.
4. Mines.
6. 1st Military Building.
7. Smithies.
etc.

I only build one major military building per settlement usually (Barracks, Archery Range, Stables etc.). Each settlement is primed as one of five possibilities.
1. Infantry producer - Exists to produce infantry first and make money second.
2. Cavalry Producer - Exists to produce cavalry first and money second.
3. Missile/Siege Producer - Exists to produce ranged units first and money second.
4. Economic Centre - Exists to make a profit.
5. Frontier Settlement - Is the main military base in an area and generally acts as types 1-3 at once. This is mainly if there is only one city available.
6. General Settlement - Usually a Town or Large Town, where there has been no specialty. I like to have every city able to produce infantry, cavalry and ranged units, even if it is a huge city and two of them are on the lowest level. They are still very useful in the right place.

Your economic development depends on many things. Pave your roads early, as this allows you to transport armies quickly, reacting to enemy movements and taking the enemy by surprise. Naval trade is the most profitable thing any city can do. Build ports early. Traders boost the income from existing trade, so they are especially useful if you have lots of valuable trade resources. Farms don't make a huge amount of money, but they do increase the settlement growth rate, so they should be built as soon as possible.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 14 November 2005 14:21 EDT (US)     2 / 8  
i would say: in the beggining of the campaign, base your economy on farming, because it can take ages to get trade rights, the right buildings and the right cities to establish a steady income of money through trade. The farms also causes the population to grow faster, enabling you to recieve more money through taxes, and upgrade your cities to produce higher level soldiers.

First Farms, then ports, then roads, so your army can get around, traders, last mines. Then the city should be producing a nice amount of money.

when the population gets bigger, its wise to build temples and such to keep order.

"The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses."
-Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido

English is not my first language, so please excuse me.

posted 14 November 2005 15:23 EDT (US)     3 / 8  
i agree with the things you are saying do paved roads increase trade by an chance and say if a enemy ship or unit is blocking a road or route will you lose money ?
posted 14 November 2005 17:26 EDT (US)     4 / 8  
Yeah, if there are enemies in your land you lose some money because they're destroying the countryside.
posted 15 November 2005 03:57 EDT (US)     5 / 8  
so i should kill those rebels lol
posted 17 November 2005 01:09 EDT (US)     6 / 8  
yes, its called 'unrest' when you look at the settlement details scroll.
posted 17 November 2005 14:55 EDT (US)     7 / 8  
how do you reduce unrest, b/c in some of my cities I have full stack peasents and they are almost rebeling. and these are onl y large towns
posted 17 November 2005 16:07 EDT (US)     8 / 8  
My faction leader is expected to fight the hardest, especially early in the game when the large cavalry force has the most relative impact. I transfer useful retainers (e.g., trade, tax, etc. types) to "sit at home" generals... of which I keep very few, BTW. Most of my generals are expected to go forth and conquer, recruit, explore, intimidate, and get in as many battles as is strategically possible in the shortest amount of time. On occasion, my FL will die in battle... usually because I pushed too hard. My FL always fights uphill odds, but then the mobility of cavalry is overwhelmingly strong, esp. early in the game.

So use your FL (or not, if its your style). Old FLs will die anyway, so why not use their strong bodyguards? You pay for them every turn... its normally a waste (there are certain exceptions with unrest or massive trade, however) for the FL to cower in a city. Go forth and conquer!

Good hunting ....

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » a couple of questions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames