Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: newbie help
posted 14 November 2005 19:02 EDT (US)   
i am really embarrassed about asking this because i am a vet at playing rise of nations. i also realize that this will be nothing like that [right]? here it goes

#1- i have been thinking about getting rtw but i'm un sure if i should. please enlighten me.

#2- i have been thinking about playing as the brits but am unsure how well they will hold up in open field battle. will they? if not then who? i like to be sneaky but still kick %ss. will that help?

#3- i've been thinking of some strats and tacs for the british. tell me if they are good. head hurlers go hid in the forest. as well as most of my calvery. make my camp right next to the forest.skirmishers traVEL THROUGH THE FOREST AND AMBUSH THE ENEMY. i then attack with my main force and flank them from behind with my calvery that traveled through the forest. they would have already been weakened with my raid then i should win. right?

another one is for the map with that big mound in the centre. calvery rushes foward to gain the mound. followed by missile troops and some heavy infantry. then i swoop around with my main force ambush the enemy. then they will retreat and they will be pincered by my mound force. then they get killed. hopefully.

are they any good? or am i just making a comparrin of old tactics?please reply.

Replies:
posted 15 November 2005 02:57 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
#1 You ask on a RTW fan forum wheteher you should get RTW? You know the answer...

#2 I suggest you stard playing as the Romans, en when you've finished, or had enough of that campaign, you might want to play some custom battles, to see what kind of units and factions you like.

#3 The Britons don't have cavalry, they have chariots instead. Chariots are creators of chaos, but you must rush towards the gap they created. Be sure not to let them bogged down. Also, they are strong against cavalry and weak against missile troops. And about your tactic: If units move, they are not hidden anymore. the AI will probably send a small group of units to intercept them.

The mound idea is indeed the classic pin-and-flank, which will always work against the AI.

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

posted 15 November 2005 10:43 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
thanks for the response sjonnie. and ya i guess i will get it.

i for got about the chariots.aren't they my only defense against horse archers?

thanks for telling me that nothing is hiddin in trees while moving. but what if they were occupied by my light chariots? could they just possibly mistake it for somthing else?

if i do play romans, then which family will fit how i like to play? i prefer to ambush as you could tell. but i could learn to do open field.

posted 16 November 2005 04:50 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
The scipii have a unit that can hide exactly EVERTWHERE, so they might suit you.
posted 16 November 2005 08:11 EDT (US)     4 / 14  

Quote:

The scipii have a unit that can hide exactly EVERTWHERE, so they might suit you.

Don't all of the Romans?

Quote:

if i do play romans, then which family will fit how i like to play? i prefer to ambush as you could tell. but i could learn to do open field

The Roman factions are basically the same. The only differences are their colors, and their different gladiator units.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
posted 16 November 2005 14:02 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
chariots are NOT your only defense against horse archers. horse archers will own them, as the chariots can't get close and they are weak to missiles.

Choosing what Roman faction you want to play depends on against who you want to play. The Scipii face Carthage, with elephants, and weak infantry. The Julii fight against Gauls, Germans and other Barbarians (including your Britons). The Brutii fight against the Greek factions.

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

posted 16 November 2005 16:27 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
For roman factions, take Julii. You must expand in Gaul and Germania, and there are lots of trees there, and many ambush spots. Of you take the Scipii, you have to fight Carthage and in the desert are no trees, so no ambushes.
I think Brutti will pass a few trees, but not many, so little ambushes.
posted 16 November 2005 16:32 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
thanks for the help everyone. now i can really kick some
a$$.
posted 16 November 2005 16:49 EDT (US)     8 / 14  
Sjoniie: Have you ever tried chariots vs horse archers? I havn't ever had horse archers vs britannian chariots, but the egyptian/seleucid chariots massacred my horse archers/persian cavalry as Parthia.

Do not use cavalry vs chariots if at all possible.

posted 17 November 2005 13:45 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
you came off the RON track too?

for a new player i'd recommend you stick with romans till you get the basics.

If your a sneaky plyr (like me :P) germania are pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Death Hawk (edited 11-17-2005 @ 01:45 PM).]

posted 17 November 2005 15:53 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
mustang321, get the game. Just do it. It is a great game! Make sure you have a decent PC and graphic card, for the best experience . It is totally worth the money... it is total war, and totally awesome!
posted 17 November 2005 16:58 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
deathhawk- yes i am from the RoN track. i am getting a new laptop, proball a dell. will that be good?

could some-one tell me some strats for rome and G.B. i know that there is somthing on this site but i would rather have it from live players.

thanks

posted 17 November 2005 20:45 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
Where do you think the stuff on the site came from?

Live players.

posted 17 November 2005 22:16 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
If you play GB, wait until you play a Roman faction first. I think it will be a better game experience that way. If you do play GB, remember to keep your chariots moving. If they stop when surrounded by the enemy, they will be killed pronto. Expand, and don't stop. Move your capital as your empire expands east and south. Ally when you can, sell your maps every chance you get. Keep your generals on the attack, not getting fat in the cities as governors. Send your diplomats out across the board to make contacts and cash. Heavily concentrate your forces early to defeat enemies, esp. the Julii. Chariots are difficult to use in city streets... keep them moving, or keep them out of the way.
posted 18 November 2005 03:30 EDT (US)     14 / 14  

Quote:

Don't all of the Romans?

Okey, they do bu I wasn't aware of that when I wrote my reply. I tougth that since the arcani comes from the temple to saturn (for the scipii, that is the only roman faction I have played as) and the brutii and julii has other types of temples, I tougth they couldn't get arcani.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » newbie help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames