You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Seleucids: Favorite Army Compositions?
posted 19 November 2005 07:25 EDT (US)   
I'm new to the Seleucids and I could use some tips for putting together a winning army composition and strategy. Specifically, I'd like to know how to make the Pikemen and Legionnaires work together in the best possible manner.

Do you use the Pikemen as a strong centerline and the Legionnaires as flankers, like many Germania players do with Spear Warbands and Chosen Axemen?

P........P
LPPPPPL

Do you make a centerline of Legionnaires and set up a meatgrinder of Pikemen on the flanks?

PPLLLLLPP

Do you keep it 50/50, with a line of Pikemen up front, and a second line of Legionnaires right behind them, making it impossible for enemy cavalry to surround them and easy to maneuver the Legionnaires into gaps as needed?

PPPPPP
LLLLLL

I'd love to use an army that really takes advantage of the combo-power of the Seleucids since I prefer armies that take advantage of the strength of each civilization rather than having more transferable strategies which work with a zillion civilzations, but I must admit I have a hard time coming up anything viable for the Seleucids.

So far this is my best attempt, but I'm far from happy with it.

3 Pikemen
3 Legionnaires
2 Archers
3 Onagers
3 Cataphracts
3 Chariots
3 Armored Elephants

I usually loathe kitchensink armies, but this one does work. Strategy is passive: onagers and archers fire in order to get the enemy to come to us (usually works). Cataphracts and Chariots are usually hidden at the outset, and their main task is to eliminate archers. They swoop down on the flanks and the rear. Once the enemy is close, unleash the elephants. I use 3 at the same time because the fear factor is crucial when you attack from the front, anything less and the elephants are dead. The infantry follow in the wake of the elephants to mop up, and the result is usually near-instantaneous routs on impact, hence there is no need for a strong centerline.

It's fun in a campaign, but I doubt it's strong enough for MP.

I wouldn't dream of using a kitchensink army with more than 3-4 unit-types like that with any other civilization, but the Seleucids can pull it off, and I don't want to play them like I play Carthage (solid phalanx line, javelin cavalry to harass, solid cavalry to back up the phalanges, a single elephant for flanking the minute the archers are gone, a calculating but leading style), or Egypt (solid phalanx, archer support, chariots eliminating cavalry, an ultra-aggressive slasherparty style).

Any suggestions for a funnier and more interesting strategy and army for the Seleucids that really takes advantage of their diversity?

[This message has been edited by TheQueenMother (edited 11-19-2005 @ 09:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 19 November 2005 08:01 EDT (US)     1 / 8  
I'd go for about 6 Sivler Shield Pikemen for the centre in the Long Line in the Sand formation with perhaps 2 Silver Shield Legionaries on the ends. An additional two SS Legionaries a little back from the flanks to flank any enemy force attempting to flank your line would also help.

For diversity, Scythed Chariots are very good when properly used. One or two units at each end of the line and a little back will make mincemeat of any cavalry or camelry flanking force, leaving your Cataphracts or Greek Cavalry to flank the enemy forces your infantry have pinned.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 19 November 2005 08:59 EDT (US)     2 / 8  
If you are talking about multiplayer this army should defeat most other armies in a 10000 denarii game.

3-4 levy pikemen(yeah the 310 denarii guys) stretch them up because their job is to hold the center. Thats it. No other use except to break damn phalanx circle if your foe does it.

7-8 full attack and defense+2 morale upgraded Greek cavalry. They trash all other cavalry in combat and has uber charge against infantry. They can't sustain melee fight with infantry for long so cycle charge as much as possible.

7-8 full attack and defense+morale upgraded(if you got cash) archers. They will make hedgehogs out of all other archers with the possible exception of Pharaoh's Bowmen. Remember to make their formation loose. Although they suck as melee, remember that they are upgraded. So use them in hand to hand combat to get a better edge if the rest of your forces are engaged near by.

Thats it.

Michael Jackson
posted 19 November 2005 09:01 EDT (US)     3 / 8  
BTW, Macedonians can use this strat too. So are the Thracians, and Greeks to a lesser degree.

Michael Jackson
posted 19 November 2005 10:26 EDT (US)     4 / 8  
With Seleucids, I use the following units in my Imperial Army:

5 cataphracts(C)
3 archers(A)
2 armored elephants(E)
8 silver shield pikemen(P)
2 silver shield legionaries(L)

The formation:

---LPPPPPPPPL--CCCC------
--E--A--A--A--E----------
--------C----------------

The pikemen hold the line, the archers give support, the legionaries move around the flank, and the four cataphracts who are seperately positioned deliver the coup-de-grace, along with the elephants. Excellent against the AI.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad

[This message has been edited by RomanKnight (edited 11-19-2005 @ 10:30 AM).]

posted 19 November 2005 11:47 EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Well in a campaign I would suggest

4 scythed chariots. 2 on each flank. sweep away any enemy cavalry.

2 or 3 levy pikemen or regular pike men stretched into a line. just in case

2 elephants of any type. in front of main line. charge the enemies line as they near

3-4 legionaires in front of the line of pikement and behind the ele's. charge intot he broken enemy forces, can use pila if you want

4 archers behind the legionaires. move forward if neccesary to attack enemy archers or infintry.

1 or 2 cataphracts on the flank of the main line, behind scythed chariots. just for the fun of it.

I ussualy dont have enough money to get these units. But once I did a few test with this force in custom, facing the egyptions, carthage, rome pre and post marius, greece, and gaul and germania. All were victories.

posted 19 November 2005 14:57 EDT (US)     6 / 8  
In campaing my setup is:

1 general or 1 Cataphract
7 Cataphracts
2 Amoured Elephants
4 Legionaires
4 Silver Shield
2 Heavy Onager

It is very expensive, but very powerful too.

Me strategy is:

Offensive

Cavalry rides of to kill enemy cavalry and cavalry archers.

Onagers start shooting on the enemy army as the rest of your forces get ready.

Silver Shields and two legionaires engage from the front and keep the enemy in place, while the remaining two legionaries and the armoured elephants flank the the enemy.

After the enemy cavalry is dead, the cataphracts and the general rides back and kill archers, onagers and routing units.

Defensive:

Deploy all of your infantry units in a upside-down V; Silvershield in the top, legionaires behind, Onagers inside.

Cataphracts and elephants behind the V.

Keep shooting down the enemy as they approach you formation. If the enemy cavalry charges you, perfom a quick counter charge with your own cavalry.

When the army is getting tired and stressed, send in your elephants, one from each flank. They will most like rout all the enemy infantry. Then just charge your entire army after them, and cut down any archers down on the way.

I haven't tried these strats in MP, but they work wonders in the campaign

"The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses."
-Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido

English is not my first language, so please excuse me.

posted 19 November 2005 16:34 EDT (US)     7 / 8  
This is an amusing strategy with the seleucids. People would probably call it n00bish, but it amuses me.

6 units armoured elephants
6 units scythed chariots
4 units cataphracts
4 units Silver Shield legionaries

Put the elephants in a line, then put 4 units of scythed chariots in a line behind them, then the silver shields in a line behind them. Put a unit of scythed chariots and two units of cataphracts on each flank. They are meant to destroy the enemy cavalry. Then, march towards the enemy, or wait for them to come to you. When they are within a reasonable distance, charge in your elephants. As soon as the elephants make impact send in the line of chariots. The enemy infantry should be in trouble pretty fast. Once you have destroyed the cavalry send in the cataphracts and other chariots. After this send in the legionaries. They will mop up. It's a simple brute force strategy. I haven't tried it on multiplayer, but it works in the campaign.

posted 20 November 2005 04:58 EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Wow, these are all good responses. Thanks a load, guys.

I think I'll tweak Im_a_beaver's strategy a tad and add a couple of chariots for good measure since it's one of my favorite units, but overall I really like your style, man.

Yuri gets the price for originality, though. It's very close to my Parthia strategy (5 War Elephants, 7 Cataphracts, 8 Horse Archers on 25K), so I know it's solid.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Seleucids: Favorite Army Compositions?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames