Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Brutus [Zeus, wonder, happiness]
posted 24 November 2005 04:46 EDT (US)   
Ive just started my first camapin with the House Of Brutti.
So far ive tookin over Appollonia,Lilybaem,Thermon,and Salona.Im constantly defending Thermon from Maecedon.What should I do next. I think I should attack Larissa but you guys are the experts so advise me.
Replies:
posted 24 November 2005 05:07 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
I would say (because you're in war with the greek probably) take Sparta or/and Athens if it's Greek. Then built an army and take Corinth and Larissa. After that, head north to Tessalonica and the city north and whipe out Macedon.

Why Athens and/or Sparta first?
Good trade, probably good buildings in it. Larissa was in my campaign not as well built as Athens and Sparta, same for Corinth.

posted 24 November 2005 05:28 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
Yeah, Athens I would go First, than Corinth, than Sparta. (I am no expert btw) Athens is a very good city to obtain. Especially if it is still owned by rebels

However, if the Macedonian attacks are severe, you want prolly 2 armies to protect Thermon. But since you say that your want to expand, I am guessing they are not.Perhaps maybe Athens first, the Larrisa, than Corinth and Sparta will be easy to reach while u have a nice little fort at a good position to hold of the Macedonians.

posted 24 November 2005 09:12 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
I agree with these guys. Sparta and Athens, powerful strongpoints they are! If you can hold them.

Im playing as Carthaginians on VH right now and I am trying to expand upward to Sparta and Athens. Although I have already been kicked out once from the Macedons who killed off the Greeks. Basically what I did was try to take a lot of provinces at once and found that I wasnt prepared for Sparta and Athens.

So if you want those cities, try to concentrate on them alone, while defending the rest of your empire. Once you have them, and have built a good defense, then you should work your way up.

posted 24 November 2005 16:29 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Take Athens and Corinth. Corinth has a powerful wonder!! Athens has the best trade in the game (when you develop it). Later, take Sparta and Larissa. You will have the necessary army from Athens/Corinth conquests anyway. If you need to build a fort to hold off the Macedons in the north (near Larissa) whilst you take care of business in Athens, Corinth, and Sparta, then fine.

If you can get a ship to Crete, you can buy the slingers, cretan archers, and hoplites & hop back to Greece with them to help out. Even if your ship is later sunk, the units are usually worth it.

Don't worry about taking Sparta immediately (before Athens & Corinth). Why? Hopefully, they are building better a temple in there! If so, you keep it and let Sparta crank out the early game vets!

Then... exterminate the Macedons. But sell them your maps first, and if you have any delay, make them a protectorate (or at least offer & see if they will once you are pounding them). Then kill them when you are ready. hehe.

posted 24 November 2005 16:47 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
The Brutii are strong, but you are fighting both Macedon and likely Greece. Don't try to provoke any more enemies. Take the enemies key cities (Larissa is a good option)

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 24 November 2005 17:27 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
I generally leave Macedon alone until I have taken the Greek cities on the mainland and often Kydonia and Rhodes as well. Then I hit them with everything I've got (and surprise).

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 26 November 2005 06:56 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Thanks alot for the advise guys! After reading some of what you guys have said I decided to put your advise to use. Athens is owned by Maecedon so I thought attacking it would be agood way to take revenge. Now theyve left Thermon. Now that I own Athens should I take Larissa or Corinth first. Ive also tooken over Thapsis. The Sciipiis havent attacked Carthage yet so I think I have a good chance of whiping them out. Wartrain Corinth has a wonder? Again thanks alot.
posted 26 November 2005 08:38 EDT (US)     8 / 14  

Quote:

Wartrain Corinth has a wonder? Again thanks alot.

Hmmm.. OK, I will try to do something. I'll see if I can get a picture posted inline with this post. An old Brutii campaign has a good view (Corinth was just captured, but not yet adjusted for public order). Here goes...

Here is the Icon of the Wonder, near Corinth:

Here is the effect immediately after capture:

Yea! It workie. Zeusie will give you an immediate +30, tapering to +10 over several turns throughout your empire!!! Helps control cities, and allows raising taxes on those who are under control.

posted 27 November 2005 11:12 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
I took all of greece and immediatly spilled into far eastern europe, and started into aisia minor. Thanks to my greek power base, not even the mighty eygption armies can stand against full-flag leiganary armies.

Wartrain: I see in your screenshot that larissa is undefended. Do you useually leave cities undefended?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 27 November 2005 16:34 EDT (US)     10 / 14  

Quote:

Wartrain: I see in your screenshot that larissa is undefended. Do you useually leave cities undefended?

Not usually, but sometimes. That particular screenshot, however, was taken from a save game several months ago, and I had not yet done my end of turn regroupings and city checks for things like riots, defense, etc. Larissa would not remain undefended over that turn, but it was doubtless very lightly defended at EOT. In a different campaign, I once lost a city though (Corinth!!) because it was undefended when I obtained it between turns, and my Greek "Allies" (I think I was Scipii) could not resist a dastardly sneak-attack by walking in to an undefended city, LOL.

My games of SP evolved in a manner that in many ways was pretty different than what I see people posting here. I suppose mine diverge because of the way I personally measure SP success (and ergo my own 'fun'), largely as a function of closed-form strategy (e.g., like a Chess game) and relentless speed, with specific theatre & tactical applications of von Clauswitz, Patton, & D. MacArthur. That pic is really just a mid-turn snapshot of how I conduct a campaign; a keen eye will note, for example, the small garrison in Corinth .

posted 28 November 2005 11:06 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Also, beware of Sparta - they have Spartan hoplites! I once tried a fast Hellenic incursion (Sparta > Corinth > Athens > Larrisa), and almost got wasted in Sparta. So, always check what troups you're up against.

Also, on a side note, I only recently noticed (*embarrassed*) that you can right-click on your opponents general (just before combat) and you get all the stats of the opposing force.

posted 02 December 2005 23:59 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
I did this -

Started in Apallonia, swept through Thermon and Larissa and took the Macedon Capital and Athens then took the rest of mainland Greece and finished off Macedon and royally screwed the Scythia.

posted 11 December 2005 20:12 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
My campaign in the Greek Cities and Macedon was my first, and easiest so far, playing Brutii. I just sailed over an army and took em as I landed in that order.. Macedon and The Greek Cities were already at war, and Macedon had alraedy controled Athens. I took Sparta, they took Corinth. Greek City states were extinct. Next turn "WAR!!!" Macedon who I helped out attacks me. Very bad mistake for them, it put em out of the game. I took Corinth, Anthens, then they had a big garrison at Larissa. So I moved the bulk of my army up to lightly-defended Thessalonica I think is the name, then moved back down and took Larissa.
posted 13 December 2005 22:02 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
I always take Athens and cornith before going after Larissia. Not realy important but i think it is esier to take the rest of grecee once the Greeks are gone. if you want my opinion after taking grece and macendon go to anitolia and ether go to war with Pontus or egypt.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames