You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Pretty funny thing about Carthage and my Friend...
posted 30 November 2005 23:33 EDT (US)   
This past holiday weekend my Friend slept over and watched me take over the verry first land you are asked to take over by the Senate ( As Brutii ) all the way to the Eastern Fringes of the map. Then he suddenly felt like playing, so I let him. The Carthaginians were defeated by me and Scipii ( Yes, Scipii needed help. I just fought their armies, no need for African colonies I can't reach in time incase of Rebellion...then again I control the one island off the Spanish coastline ) which enabled the Carthaginians for play. I forgot that Carthage is not a good choice for beginners, but then again I had come back out of my 6 month period of not playing so I forgot. I had fallen asleep and the next morning brought a great deal of laughs.

Okay, so he didn't do sooooo bad. He was actually doing well, waging a war with the Scipii for a long long time in Sicily ( Kind of like the Punic Wars ) but of course, lost. He had the bright idea of having all of his family members except for a few to fight in his campaign for...I guess just taking Sicily. I had decided to check his family tree, and found something extremely funny...

Everysingle Male family member except for two 40 year olds were dead. Yes, he had fought to the last man in Sicily ( LITERALLY ) and fought to the last coin Carthage posessed ( actually way beyond ). He decided to just quit and play Egypt after I altered the .txt to include all of the civilizations to be playable.

But yea, I thought it was pretty funny. It is also the first time I've seen over half of a family dead in a family tree by 224 BC.

Replies:
posted 01 December 2005 03:48 EDT (US)     1 / 8  
What difficulty level?

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 01 December 2005 09:43 EDT (US)     2 / 8  
My Brutii? Hard.

His Carthage? I don't really know, I think just below Hard.

posted 01 December 2005 11:25 EDT (US)     3 / 8  
LOL, thats funny man.

Tell me, how did you alter your .txt. And take in to fact that I know pretty much nothing of that code stuff. lol

posted 01 December 2005 13:50 EDT (US)     4 / 8  
Then you really miss ALOT. here it goes:

go to C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat

you find there a list of factions, some under the name of playable, some unlockable and some unplayable. place all of them (except slave and Senate) underneath "playable".

If you have 1.3, you must give each faction a campaign description. that can be done at

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\text\campaign_descriptions

This is what I've put there, you can copy it over there:

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ROMANS_SENATE_TITLE}SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANUS
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ROMANS_SENATE_DESCR}You are the senate and the people of Rome. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ARMENIA_TITLE}Armenians
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ARMENIA_DESCR}You are the people of Armenia. You have good infantry, incredible cavalry, and an unfulfilled desire to rule the world. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_DACIA_TITLE}Dacians
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_DACIA_DESCR}You are the people of Dacia, a Thracian tribe. You have decent infantry and archers, and siege units at your disposal. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_NUMIDIA_TITLE}Numidians
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_NUMIDIA_DESCR}You are the people of Numidia, a desert tribe with light desert troops at its disposal. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SCYTHIA_TITLE}Scythians
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SCYTHIA_DESCR}You are the people of Scythia, a nomadic tribe with strong cavalry at its disposal. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SPAIN_TITLE}Iberians
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SPAIN_DESCR}You are the people of Spain, a barbarian tribe with both Carthaginian and barbarian units at its disposal. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_THRACE_TITLE}Thracians
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_THRACE_DESCR}You are the people of Thrace, a barbarian tribe with Greek and barbarian troops at its disposal. Good luck.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SLAVE_TITLE}Rebels
{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SLAVE_DESCR}Wrong people!!! choose another faction icon!!!

Now you should be able to play all factions. Good luck, and remember: always backup any modded files!

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

posted 01 December 2005 14:35 EDT (US)     5 / 8  
lol, I go and edit my desc_strat.txt and place all nations except Slave, Senate, and Rebels into Playable Nations and walla.
posted 01 December 2005 16:28 EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Slaves are rebels.

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

posted 01 December 2005 17:36 EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Funny story, Josef von Damme! It sounds like the RTW community has another new player!

Quoted from Josef von Damme:

lol, I go and edit my desc_strat.txt and place all nations except Slave, Senate, and Rebels into Playable Nations and walla.

That method only works on Pre-1.3 patched installs of RTW. Begining with patch 1.3/BI, you must do what Sjonnie posted in his campaign_descriptions, or the game will not work. It is not enough to move civs in descr_strat.txt like in patch 1.2 and before. You can use whatever text descriptions you would like to add... but you must have an entry for every civ that you attempt to play.

BTW, nice helpful post Sjonnie. About your sig, methinks your "Quod licet Iovi non licet boviwhat" is an old Roman proverb roughly translated to mean "What Jupiter (Iovi, the God or supreme power) is allowed is not allowed of the people (the 'cattle')."

posted 02 December 2005 22:27 EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Yea I have not updated my game because I keep focusing on the Campaign map.

I'd like to see a working online Campaign map but set to short campaigns and Lan Campaigns set on the full Campaign ( me and my RTW Noob friend really wish this was possible because we would just slaughter each other aimlessly. )

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Pretty funny thing about Carthage and my Friend...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames