Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: scipi help
posted 03 December 2005 15:34 EDT (US)   
hello i am on my scipi *sorry about spelling* and i am having trouble with my afrcian provinces they keeps rebelling and now i have egypt coming up from the south should i just abondon africa and go back there later.
Replies:
posted 03 December 2005 16:32 EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Your spelling of Scipii isn't that bad. You just missed one "i" ath the end and the fact that names start with capitals.

If your provinces keep rebelling there are a few things you can do:
- move your capital to Africa (Carthage might be a good choice)
- produce more peasant for garison (15 peasants guarding a large city isn't exceptional)
- build temples of Saturn in most of your cities (they have a law bonus)
- upgrade the cities as fast as possible, replace foreign culture buildings with your own

As for leaving Africa: I wouldn't do it though I might stop expanding further into Africa. Perhaps that is the problem. Could it be that you expanded to fast, conquering new cities before you really established control of the ones you captured before?

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 03 December 2005 18:37 EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Enslave cities when you capture them. For instance, enslaving the population of Carthage into Lilybaeum kills two birds with one stone. Carthage has a lower population and Lilybaeum reaches the threshold for City status, allowing you to upgrade the core building and get a far higher public order. One quarter of the city's population is moved to your settlements containing governors immediately. Another quarter is moved over the next 15 turns. You can control this by moving governors in and out of settlements (eg. in the Brutii campaign, I can get Apollonia to Large Town inside 6 turns by enslaving Syracuse).

Temples to Baal can be upgraded to Temples of Saturn, don't just destroy them if you are going to upgrade the city soon.

Governors with high influence help calm restless people.

Public Health increases happiness, but increases growth.

Growth increases happiness, but causes overcrowding.

Recruiting a large number of Peasants reduces the population and increases the garrisson.

Games and Races are good for keeping the population under control.

Kill Egypt quickly. Take the Nile and eastern Med and you'll be rolling it in. You can then attack Greece to cut off the Brutii's advance and access to money.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 03 December 2005 23:55 EDT (US)     3 / 16  
Check out the Capital Calculator thread on Total War Discussions Forum. It'll show where would be the best for your capital.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 04 December 2005 04:14 EDT (US)     4 / 16  
Eqypt is the real problem here, because when they get into it they tend to completely destroy nations.

The question is, what difficulty is it on?

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY
posted 04 December 2005 05:48 EDT (US)     5 / 16  
well im thinking about moving my captial to carthage but wont that lead my other settlements to rebel
posted 04 December 2005 06:07 EDT (US)     6 / 16  
Look at the distance to capital penalties in the city details scrolls. Your Italian cities will have no culture penalty and the cities that you have owned for a while will have very little either.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

posted 04 December 2005 13:16 EDT (US)     7 / 16  
well i think its mostly squaler because carthage grows quite fast do you think i should let it rebel retake it and exterimate the people?
posted 04 December 2005 13:25 EDT (US)     8 / 16  
Like Ivan the Killer stated, pulling your forces out of Carthage and letting it rebel is a good strategy - not only do you help get rid of the rebellion but you get a ton of cash in the process.

As for the abandoning Africa part, never abandon anything unless you plan to retake it immediately. My recommendations for Egypt are to pressure it from the Middle East, or go straight to the Capital - use it to buy yourself some time to prepare a real invasion force. Another tactic is to completely garrison the cities, then build watchtowers surrounding the cities so you can see everything around it, and have a powerful army outside the cities and intercept as many enemies as possible.

posted 04 December 2005 13:47 EDT (US)     9 / 16  
But it's better to give/sell the settlment to one of your enemies and then immedietly take it back, then it will be undefended if you take it the same turn.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 04 December 2005 17:51 EDT (US)     10 / 16  
True just make sure you pull your units out of the city before you sell it.
posted 04 December 2005 20:40 EDT (US)     11 / 16  

Quote:

Like Ivan the Killer stated, pulling your forces out of Carthage and letting it rebel is a good strategy - not only do you help get rid of the rebellion but you get a ton of cash in the process.

Yes, but in the long run, it harms your economy. Don't give me that stuff saying 'Carthage is losing money'. No city ever loses money. Ever. Period.

So if you abandon Carthage and move in to exterminate, you're just reducing the population of the city, which means lesser people to pay taxes, which means lesser taxes, which amounts to more loss.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 05 December 2005 01:50 EDT (US)     12 / 16  
^^Yes, yhey do sometimes if you have an arena/hippodrome there, then the cost for holding the games/races might be bigger than the income. And you have to take into acount how much the troops defending the city cost you, if their upkeep is higher than the amount of money the city make, it will help your economy to abandon it, even tought your military will suffer from it (fewer places to re-train, and train new units in).

posted 05 December 2005 08:10 EDT (US)     13 / 16  
Yeah, you're right about the games and races.

Quote:

And you have to take into acount how much the troops defending the city cost you, if their upkeep is higher than the amount of money the city make, it will help your economy to abandon it,

Surely this problem doesn't apply to Carthage? It is a rich city, having twenty peasant garrison will be fine and you'll still make loads of profit.

posted 05 December 2005 08:46 EDT (US)     14 / 16  
carthage is -500 =(
posted 05 December 2005 10:08 EDT (US)     15 / 16  
IT IS NOT LOSING MONEY!

Each city pays a certain amount of your army upkeep costs in proportion to the whole with the city's population in proportion to your total population. Carthage has a high population, so it is paying for a lot of troops. It is not losing money, if you sell it or let it rebel, then that cost will just be transferred to your other cities.

posted 05 December 2005 12:10 EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Yak, he meant that if Carthage was abandoned, you could disband the troops you were using as its garrison. So in effect, he says that if Carthage requires you to keep a very large and advanced army for garrison, and the upkeep of the army is greater than the money Carthage makes, it is more profitable to abandon it and disband that expensive garrison. He's got a pretty valid point, but it doesn't apply to Carthage, which always does well.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » scipi help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames