Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WTF at the berserkers
posted 04 December 2005 20:24 EDT (US)   
Today I played against a German opponent as Seleucia. I bested his archers, cavalry, and spearwarband, and his entire army is running away, and then came 4 berserker units that wiped out everything that's left in my army, which included 4 cataphracts, 2 SSP, 2 SSL, and 4 Archers, most of them near full strength.

WTF!

I tried them in SP, and 5 unupgraded units took out 5 9/3/3 spartans, how in hell are you suppose to take out these when they are berserking. It says they are vulnerable to missiles, but I had fulling upgraded archers fire at them and there wasn't enough effect to turn them back before they got to my lines.

Any tips?

Patience is a virtue.
Replies:
posted 05 December 2005 08:23 EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Upgrade Archer attacks. If the archers were chased by Berserkers, then ignore them. Berserkers will only get tired in the process while you destroy their berserker-less army. If your infantry got caught by the berserkers then charge Companion or upgraded Greek Cavalry from behind or sides.

My typical Seleucid army includes 8 upgraded Archers, 8 upgraded Greek Cavalry and 4 Levy Pikemen. No German army ever messed with mine and lived to tell the tale. Honestly.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 12-05-2005 @ 08:29 AM).]

posted 05 December 2005 10:15 EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Form a long, thin line with your phalanxes. The enemy charge onto your spearpoints and die. At least the AI does.

Against a human, it is a little more complicated, but the principle still holds. If they charge your phalanxes head on, they are dead. Hit and run with your Cataphracts, while keeping them under Archer fire. Even better, pin them with infantry and charge your Cataphracts into their rear. Nothing can survive that, except possibly elephants and there are other ways to deal with them.

Beserkers use a spread out formation, so they are just made to be charged by elephants or Scythed Chariots. Charge through them and then turn round and come back. Better still, Armoured Elephants with Scythed Chariots on their heels. Even Beserkers should lose to that.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 05 December 2005 10:19 EDT (US)     3 / 13  
AI doesn't use the berserk ability, hence why they die easily. If you use berserk you can beat a fully upgraded spartan hoplite unit in less than 20 seconds. Phalanx can't stop them I guarantee you.

Regarding archers, most games I play have a max limit of 6 units of one type to prevent spams, so I had 6 units of fully upgraded archers, but they didn't do enough to stop the serks before the ravaged my entire infantry line.

I guess more archers is the only way then, sighs...

Patience is a virtue.
posted 05 December 2005 21:44 EDT (US)     4 / 13  
The only thing that I have found to work against Berserkers (other than full stack foresters and such) are elephants and scythed chariots. Of course, those tend to freak out and run into your own lines, which does not help me win the battle that much.

On a side note, is it realistic that the scythed chariots can run amok? I mean, no other chariots do that. It seems to just be some way of balanceing them. Or is there some actual reason behind it other than balance?

"War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished."
-Julius Caesar
There's no justice like conqueror's justice.

www.nationstates.net

I'm Errikland
posted 06 December 2005 17:22 EDT (US)     5 / 13  
I guess the horses might be scared of each other's blades.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 07 December 2005 19:13 EDT (US)     6 / 13  

Quote:

If you use berserk you can beat a fully upgraded spartan hoplite unit in less than 20 seconds.

Blasphemy, they won't even beat one unit of Spartan Hoplites not upgraded at all. I tried it and I was down to 25 out of 42 when I finally killed all the Berserkers. (They were doing their flip-out thing)

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 07 December 2005 20:11 EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Maybe it was because the spartans were in AI mode.

I tried it again and the 9/3/3 spartans won this time, i guess the first time something went wrong.

Patience is a virtue.
posted 15 December 2005 15:39 EDT (US)     8 / 13  
There is a simple technique to destroying beserkers. Play as Parthia and use lots of Persian Cavalry. They will keep pouring arrows onto them until eventually they are all dead.
posted 15 December 2005 17:25 EDT (US)     9 / 13  
On medium difficulty: 1.3 patch, I put an unupgraded berserker against a fully-upgraded unit of Spartans. The berserkers lost. Miserably.

The trick is to get the berserkers out of their "berserk" state. Once they lose it, they can be routed pretty easily.

Oh, and Yuri's strategy works pretty well too. I had 10 berserkers, each with 3 experience, against a full stack army of Persian cavalry. The stupid AI got half of his army killed, but I still lost.

[This message has been edited by LXPeng (edited 12-15-2005 @ 05:26 PM).]

posted 18 December 2005 01:50 EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Since your plying s the Selucids try using Archers, Ongers, or even Peltast. Besrkers have an awesome attack strength but re vulnerable on the defensive. You also might wanna try War Elaphants.
posted 23 December 2005 17:09 EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Scythed chariots seem to work fairly well.
posted 18 January 2006 14:31 EDT (US)     12 / 13  
Earlier, someone said "Form a long, thin line with your phalanxes. The enemy charge onto your spearpoints and die. At least the AI does."
I've found that even spartans can't beat berserkers, the berserkers just go right around the phalanx then slaughter the spartans. The long line prevents the berserkers from getting around, meaning the spartans would win.
The long thin line strategy works best.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!

[This message has been edited by TotalWarFanatic (edited 01-18-2006 @ 02:32 PM).]

posted 22 January 2006 16:23 EDT (US)     13 / 13  
No idea what you guys are talking about, I have always won with the Spartans against Berserkers.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » WTF at the berserkers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames