Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Lame tactic at city fights
posted 10 December 2005 10:20 EDT (US)   
You can use this tactic for any faction that gets some high defence-units, all all hoplites, roman legionnairies, principles, even hastati, sacred band infanty and so on, no need for anything else. I defeated over 2000 Pontus-units with 3 regiments of Hastati, and 16 peltasts(Idon't mean regiments, just 16 peltast). U just put all infanty to direcly same spot to town square, and put them on defencive formation, they handle the game for u. If u have any cavalry, try to destroy siege-weapons like rams, or just put them behind of ur infanty so they don't die.
Replies:
posted 10 December 2005 13:02 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
What difficluty was this on + what units did Pontus have?

Nothing exceeds like excess.
posted 10 December 2005 21:33 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Well that's interesting.

I was wondering where do you put your 16 peltasts? It is hard to imagine 16 peltasts in a static defensive posture contributing much to the destruction of 2,000 units. I'd like to see a screenie of that. Were they just bait, or doing helpful battle?

As for the 2,000 defeated Pontus units, were they perhaps shot up (wounded) by towers/walls on the way in... or maybe they were peasants. What was their compostion? Did they all make a frontal assualt, and take tickets to wait in line whilst their buddies were slaughtered in front of them (it would be impolite to get killed out of turn)?

The amazing thing is really that the hastati were not eroded (killed) slowly as the wave after wave of 2,000 attackers came in... this is because the Hastati do not fight at a distance at the end of a spear (like phalanx), and will take casualties when they come to grips with an enemy. The triple formation, if sucessfully created, will create a tough wall and rapid deaths of those that approach, but those that approach should inflict damage, and that should cause the Hastati to die, even if they achive a high kill ratio.

Even a screenie at the end of the battle, with the Hastati in place and the bodies in front might reveal if there is a game bug going on.

Have you been able to duplicate the battle, and have the same results?

posted 11 December 2005 05:21 EDT (US)     3 / 7  

Quoted from Wartrain:

Well that's interesting.

I was wondering where do you put your 16 peltasts? It is hard to imagine 16 peltasts in a static defensive posture contributing much to the destruction of 2,000 units. I'd like to see a screenie of that. Were they just bait, or doing helpful battle?

As for the 2,000 defeated Pontus units, were they perhaps shot up (wounded) by towers/walls on the way in... or maybe they were peasants. What was their compostion? Did they all make a frontal assualt, and take tickets to wait in line whilst their buddies were slaughtered in front of them (it would be impolite to get killed out of turn)?

The amazing thing is really that the hastati were not eroded (killed) slowly as the wave after wave of 2,000 attackers came in... this is because the Hastati do not fight at a distance at the end of a spear (like phalanx), and will take casualties when they come to grips with an enemy. The triple formation, if sucessfully created, will create a tough wall and rapid deaths of those that approach, but those that approach should inflict damage, and that should cause the Hastati to die, even if they achive a high kill ratio.

Even a screenie at the end of the battle, with the Hastati in place and the bodies in front might reveal if there is a game bug going on.

Have you been able to duplicate the battle, and have the same results?

Those peltast killed mayby 3 enemy infantry, so they were useless, i had 1 battle before that, against pontus, they had just around 6 regiments of some infantry. i had 1 hastati regiment and few peltasts(those who were healed were those 16) . Casaulties = 9 hastati, some peltasts. Hastadi made really much bodies, and im pretty sure there was no bug. Hastati fell back against heavy cavalry and few yards against infantry too, so i lost Town Square at one time. After batlle, all Hastati-Regiments had around 50 units. I don't remember difficulty, I think it was medium. they had General and his bodyguard, one-two heavy cavalry, few lights and a mass of infantry. i killed just around 800 troops, other routed cause they made so few kills. and by the way, my walls had no towers !

and i mean this is for vhen u are defender!

[This message has been edited by Pjoo Berg (edited 12-11-2005 @ 05:21 AM).]

posted 11 December 2005 08:01 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
The town center can be used to great effect on defense, as it make troops morale supermen, It sounds like a hard-fought victory and a lot of Hastati died in the fight... I had been imagining a battle with alomst no defender losses. There was a bug early on in the Phalanx units, I think, which caused units to die at a distance under certain circumstances, but I really can't recall the details. BTW, what patch version were you playing?

Also, were you able to keep the triple formation as the fight spilled out of the square? I have not yet tried a triple... doubles are hard enough for me to maintain, and honestly because I neither defend nor use the double very often to get good at it. But when I get a chance, I will try that triple (3 infantry in the same spot).

If anyone else has experience with this, it would be good to hear how it went for you.

posted 11 December 2005 08:53 EDT (US)     5 / 7  
it was 1.3 patch, and i kept triple formation all way to victory, and then i tried to cut down routing infantry. i lost about 100 men, cause my armies were not full. It's not pretty much cause I killed around 8 x as much troops. It was hard to belive that my Hastati still did not break when they were not in TC.

Someone said: In life, there is no thing as just War!
Really it shoud be: In real life, there is no thing as just War!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!

posted 12 December 2005 20:23 EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Triple? Hell, I have had as much as 7 cohorts in one place to defend cities. I have never used and never will use the town square stradegy. I have had times where I stacked up all my infantry at the gate because it was opened by spies. That coupled with calvalry to the sides ends up in Heroic victories and command stars.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 13 December 2005 20:52 EDT (US)     7 / 7  

Quote:

It was hard to belive that my Hastati still did not break when they were not in TC.

Morale 'recharges' at the TC, and then wanes but still has effect after leaving the TC. So if morale would have been "low" in open field battle, then the troops fall back (where they would assumedly rout in this hypothetical example), then replay the same situation from the TC, the troops fall back with good (not low) morale, and continue to fight where normal open field troops (all other things being equal) would rout. If the Hastati pop back to the TC and out again, they might continue without rout "forever", or basically until all are dead (but having never been broken).

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 12-13-2005 @ 08:54 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Lame tactic at city fights
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames