You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: No Warez, CD-Cracks, CD-Keys / CD-Key Generators, and trainers [+Mini-FAQ]
posted 09 February 2005 23:04 EDT (US)   

Quoted from the Code of Conduct that you agreed to when you signed up.:

"Piracy" is the illegal copying and/or distribution of copyrighted content including, but not limited to, games, software, music, movies, pictures, ROMs, abandon-ware, and leaked software. "Cracks" are programs that disable copy-protection technology; "Trainers" are programs, patches or files that enable a player to gain an unfair advantage in a game; this also includes maphacks; a "Key" is a combination of numbers and letters that is required for software installation and sometimes used to validate users for online play; and "Key-Generators" are programs that generate valid Keys.

You may not encourage, discuss, link to, or post in support of activities, methods, and/or techniques involving piracy, cracks, multiplayer trainers, keys, and key-generators. In addition, the following are grounds for moderator action on your post and/or account:

*Seeking help to create cracks, trainers, and key-generators
*Seeking missing files that are supplied with installation CD(s)
*Admitting to possess pirated materials, cracks, trainers, and key-generators
*Admitting to distribute pirated materials, cracks, trainers, keys, and key-generators
*Admitting to the use of cracks, trainers, and key-generators
*Uploading any such files to HeavenGames sites

Generally breaking this rule will result in an instant permanent ban. However you may be given a warning for a first offence if, in our opinion, you are a new forumer who doesn’t understand why this is such a strict rule – this will be explained to you; any subsequent offences will result in a permanent ban.

Violation of this rule will result in your being banned from this forum. Thank you for your compliance.

NOTE: Requesting files found in the Data folder is fine except in extreme circumstances.

EDIT: Add Mini-FAQ. It is written by Wartrain to address some recurring questions and head off certain posting patterns, and is referenced strictly in US Law & the posted HeavenGames policy. Take a moment to understand these basics before posting.

====================== Mini-FAQ of 8 Common Questions ============================

1. Can I *ask* HOW to make a backup of copy-protected game disks in any HeavenGames Forum?
No!

2. OK then, may I PM, Message, e-mail etc. any HG people about it?
No.
Absolutely not.

3. How do I back up copy protected disks -- I live in the US, I legally own the game, and I just wish to exercise my federally-granted right to maintain a personal archival copy of software I legally own.
You rights are indeed spelled out in Title 17 (Primarily Title 117, Ch. 1, § 117 (c)), and balanced against the rights of the authors of the digital intellectual property (e.g., games), but HeavenGames is NOT the place to ask or discuss the hows. The Code of Conduct makes it clear. The HG CoC concerning this is printed at the top of this post, for easy reference.

4. Wait a minute. Activision itself posts a "Desktop Install". In it, they say to simply copy the files of all 3 disks into one folder, and I can fully install the game! So they give their consent!
A. The Activision install files themselves are able to be copied; this behavior is by design.
B. The CD#1 is Activision's federally-allowed way of protecting its intellectual property under the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA)... if you possess the legal, CD#1, special digital rights management (DRM) software will validate it, and allow the game to be played.
C. The Activision EULA did not consent to evading their DRM protection for illegal use (piracy).

5. But *my* use is LEGAL!
HeavenGames and the moderators are in no position to determine that. Moreover, the Forums are for discussion (not replication) of the games. Consult Activision or some other source (perhaps an Intellectual Property attorney) if your use is legal.

6. What is the DMCA (Public Law 105-304)?
Highlights Generally (source: The UCLA Online Institute for Cyberspace Law and Policy):
· Makes it a crime to circumvent anti-piracy measures built into most commercial software.
· Outlaws the manufacture, sale, or distribution of code-cracking devices used to illegally copy software.
· Provides exemptions from anti-circumvention provisions for nonprofit libraries, archives, and educational institutions under certain circumstances.
· In general, limits Internet service providers from copyright infringement liability for simply transmitting information over the Internet.
· States explicitly that "[n]othing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use...
"

7. What does all that mean? I don't even comprehend your summary, much less the full DMCA law, Title 17, and current court rulings!!!
Hey! Simple answer... just follow the HG Code of Conduct!

8. But I still want to debate it.
Read the laws, both from your perspective as a legal game owner, and from Congress' perspective of protecting the intellectual property of the owners (like CA and Activion!). Then go to a OT Forum, like the baths... and don't violate the CoC when you discuss it.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 12-28-2005 @ 11:26 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08 October 2006 05:35 EDT (US)     1 / 1  
Also note that any discussion of obtaining the M2TW demo by downloading it before the official release date is against the CoC and will result in a ban.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » No Warez, CD-Cracks, CD-Keys / CD-Key Generators, and trainers [+Mini-FAQ]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames