You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unable to Re-install RTW
posted 30 October 2005 17:30 EDT (US)   
Yes I read the sticky at the top of the forum.
Yes I did exactly as it told me.
No it did not work for me.

P4
XP SP2
1.6 Ghz
512MB RAM
30GB HD Space
128MB 8500 ATI Radeon

Don't have a clue what to do now. I continually get a message telling me its already detected as installed on the system even though its been removed from the Registry and Program Files.

I would so very greatly appreciate some assistance if anyone knows whats up with this.

Replies:
posted 11 November 2005 21:17 EDT (US)     1 / 3  
Hi,
I had a similar problem with 1.2 patch and contacted customer support
Here is their instructions - it worked for me :

Quote:

Response (Pramit Patel) - 10/07/2005 05:35 PM Hello,

Thank you for contacting us, sorry to hear that you are having problems with Rome: TW. Here are some suggestions that should help you to run the game:

This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

First it will be necessary to remove the registry keys the patch creates. Please be cautious when working with the registry as it is very sensitive. Deleting the wrong thing can result in complete operating system failure.

1) Click Start button > Run.
2) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
3) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
4) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
5) Click the "+" next to Microsoft
6) Click the "+" next to Windows
7) Click the "+" next to CurrentVersion
8) Click the "+" next to Uninstall
9) Delete the key named {4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
10) Delete the key named InstallShield_{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
11) Click the "+" next to InstallShield Uninstall Information
12) Delete the key named {4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
13) Close the registry editor

If you have any further questions, please refer to the website

Points 9 to 12 are the ones that do the trick...

Hope that helps - better late than never...

posted 14 November 2005 23:20 EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Since I keep seeing this question in various posts, then I'll post the full Activision "official" suggestion (from http://activision.custhelp.com/):

Quote:

Question
There was a problem uninstalling the game and now I can't reinstall.

Answer
This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you are having problems uninstalling the game you can manually remove it from your machine. First it will be necessary to remove the registry keys the game creates. Please be cautious when working with the registry as it is very sensitive. Deleting the wrong thing can result in complete operating system failure.

1) Click Start then Run.
2) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
3) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
4) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
5) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
6) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
7) Click the "+" next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
8) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
9) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
10) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
11) Close the registry editor.

Once the registry keys are removed, we'll need to remove the game files from your hard drive. These instructions assume you've installed the game in the default directory.
1) Double-click My Computer.
2) Double-click the C:\ drive.
3) Double-click Program Files.
4) Double-click Total War
4) Right-click on the Rome: Total War folder and choose delete.

Remove the RomeTW.ini file from your hard drive.
12) Click the Start button > Find (or Search) > Files & Folders.
13) Search your C:\ drive for a file named RomeTW.ini.
14) The file should be located in C:\WINDOWS.
15) Delete this file.
16) Reboot your machine. At this point the game is completely removed from your system.

This is what most of us simply call the full "Manual Uninstall". Because TCA programmers/QA did a poor job with the uninstall process, the best way to uninstall RTW is this process, including the ever-daunting Registry Edits .

PS, If you are CAREFUL and do the registry edit properly, then the actual process described above is safe. It is only if you make one or more mistakes that the process might become "dangerous" (e.g., corrupt registry). If you have a 3rd party registry backup program, then naturally you should back up your registry first (just in case!). Those who enjoy overkill might choose to ghost (backup) the entire boot partition...

posted 14 December 2005 20:58 EDT (US)     3 / 3  
This problem is now solved. There are additional registry entries that Activision does not address which cause this behavior.

The full manual uninstall (which evolved, ironically, from this very post), updated today, will now fix this relatively frequent issue.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Unable to Re-install RTW
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames