You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Patch Problems-Wartrain help!! ;)
posted 15 December 2005 20:55 EDT (US)   
I was in the process of updateing and patching and moding all my RTW's when I ran into a problem. I had a 1.2 version on rtw and I tired installing MM but relized I had 1.3 alreay half in it so it was too late. Bad mistake on my part.
Ive uninstalled/reinstalled like 5 times along with BI
A few questions though. How do I install patches to different versions ive made? It always refers me back to my original install, and says its already installed(ex. 1.2), and not the one i want, which is my copied one.
I have two with 1.3 and BI, and 1 1.1(well i did before i messed it up.) but when I try to install 1.2 onto the 1.1 it refers me back tomy 1.3 and BI.

So Im going to uninstall everything but i need help. This is what i want, but it seems I cant patch a copyied version cause it refers me back to the original desktop installed one(right now everything is uninstalled.)

RTW 1.2 with MM
RTW 1.3/1.4 BI ( to maybe mod later)
RTW 1.5/1.6 BI

(wartrain is a popular mother... LOL He should be the official tech support dude )

[This message has been edited by MaximusDecimus (edited 12-15-2005 @ 09:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 16 December 2005 07:24 EDT (US)     1 / 5  
I'm not wartrain, but I might be able to help you using a few of his treads. Anyway, here goes:

What kind of uninstallation did you make? If you used RTW:s own unistallation, then try a Complete manual uninstalation or a desktop uninstall, those remove all files, even those that RTW doesn't remove and lets you start over from scratch.

EDIT: spelling

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

[This message has been edited by steace43 (edited 12-16-2005 @ 12:11 PM).]

posted 16 December 2005 08:18 EDT (US)     2 / 5  

Quote:

A few questions though. How do I install patches to different versions ive made? It always refers me back to my original install, and says its already installed(ex. 1.2), and not the one i want, which is my copied one.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the Patch 1.5/1.6 Install Help + Experiences + Bugs thread... and why I updated the HOWTO: Do a complete, manual uninstall of RTW procedure.

Once you remove the offending entries from the registry, then RTW will reinstall just fine.

Quoted from manual uninstall procedure (Wartain rev 1.50, 14Dec2005):

1-29) Cleanup. Now you need to search the registry for 4 patterns:
DB158DBF91FB (does it match 4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB ?)
13C8F3D38C43 (does it match B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43 ?)
318C3F3DC834 (does it match A642BB6B-CA1D-4142-8DD4-318C3F3DC834 ?)
9FE8B7391CF9 (does it match A5D65411-8E73-4C85-AD80-9FE8B7391CF9 ?)
"Rome - Total War"

1-30) Delete the "Rome - Total War" related Parent Key which is associated with each relevant match

What is a "Parent Key"? It is the related key that contains relevant RTW or Activision or Sega or The Creative Assembly data.
The keys that have long numeric names (called CLSIDs) in the Install/Installer/Uninstall-related parts of the registry are the ones that frequently cause re-install failures.

What to look for when deleting a RTW-related key.

1-31) A "Rome - Total War" entry should not appear in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs

1-32) If the RTW install process later attempts to Uninstall RTW first, then you need to repeat 1-29 thru 1-31.

This part will catch the stuff causing you problems. I have also added screenshots to help people see what it looks like. You must be careful in deleting things that you only delete stuff related to Rome - Total War & activision.

Also, the CLSIDs are very important. These are huge numbers that are, in effect, unique for RTW-related stuff. Things associated with them should be deleted, as described.

If you don't do this method, there are also other ways, but I consider them more dangerous and/or more difficult for registry newbies. You can always reinstall XP from scratch, which will let you begin with a new registry (takes a long time though).

This procedure will take you more than an hour and be very very tedious and boring. Do not rush it. Be slow and deliberate. Back up your registry first, if you have a 3rd party utility to do it. You can use MS's System Restore, too. And you can reboot to last known good with F8 key at boot time if things really go south.

I have had 12-year olds do this successfuly, and I have had 35-year olds leave their registry unusable. The only difference was willingness and ability to follow a simple, but tedious, procedure.

Deleting registry entries is no more dangerous than deleting files from your folders with Explorer... Regedit is just the "Explorer" of the database called the "Windows Registry". Mistakes (deleting wrong stuff) can leave your system messed up in both cases.

So good luck.

Note: There will be lots of others that will read this post, too, with this problem in coming weeks. If it helps you, then post. You will help others as a result. Don't just fix your machine and not post back, preferrably in the Patch 1.5/1.6 Install Help + Experiences + Bugs thread.

posted 16 December 2005 08:42 EDT (US)     3 / 5  
It wasnt a problem with uninstall. It was a problem with multiple versions. But I got it now, and im gonna try it when I get home, thanks to your multiple install guide.
Thanks

posted 16 December 2005 08:55 EDT (US)     4 / 5  
PS, This is the 2nd post in a day with a user name in the subject... that does not help, for reasons here. Any forumer might have either an answer, or a step to getting an answer (even serendipity, a strength of forums).

Putting a user name in a tech request is, in a way, sort of offensive to others who might want to help, or even just add/discuss whatever is brought up. If its private, then e-mail is the way. But I personally won't do e-mail, because posting in public allows others to lurk, read, google (eventually), and get help too.

Also, FWIW, I personally don't even look at specific titles, and they don't influence the order I read them. I open 10 or 20 posts at a time in Opera, and read them during the day as I have time while doing other things. Its just serendipitous if I personally hit a given post quickly or not .

posted 16 December 2005 09:01 EDT (US)     5 / 5  

Quote:

It wasnt a problem with uninstall. It was a problem with multiple versions. But I got it now, and im gonna try it when I get home, thanks to your multiple install guide.
Thanks

Oops. OK then, the multiple install procedure is the way to go.

When testing on the 14th, I did run into the issues above in install/reinstall, so that will hopefully still help someone.

Yup, the multiple install guide is the way to go. Be sure and post a note there, if it helped, and even if there were some things that could be clarified. I just revised that procedure too, and after revisions is the greatest chance an error slips through. How many do you have working? I use 1.2, 1.2MM, and 1.5 now. Plus the clean SOURCE install (which is the only one that is affected when an installer is run on the system).

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Patch Problems-Wartrain help!! ;)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames