You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTW CD got hosed. Need help please...:(
posted 16 December 2005 01:13 EDT (US)   
My machine got hosed, so I had to reinstall the OS.

To my great frustration, I found out that my Rome Total War CD got scratched a little bit when I had it on the ground. Specifically, I can no longer read the following files

e:\Setup\rsrc\ereg.exe
e:\Setup\rsrc\demo32.exe
e:\Setup\rsrc\Rometw.dbd
e:\Setup\rsrc\Data.CAB

Also, I've appearantly hosed these files too, but I don't think they're as important.

e:\Setup\rsrc\AUTORUN.EXE
e:\Setup\rsrc\Art\installshield_title_bar.bmp
e:\Setup\rsrc\Rometw.txt
e:\Setup\rsrc\RomeTW.ICO

It's kinda sad, I haven't played RTW in months, but now that I feel the urge, my CD has gone bad. Could somebody help me out my posting or emailing me these files off of their RTW CD1?

Replies:
posted 16 December 2005 01:41 EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Welcome to RTWH, RampagingRoman.

While there are many people, me included, who would want to help you out, asking for files that are supplied with the CDs is, unfortunately, against our Code of Conduct.

You may want to do a Desktop Install as described in this thread.

Also, moving this to the Tech forum.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 16 December 2005 07:05 EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Did you try the desktop install GloryofSparta suggested? Copying the files from the CD first might work, because every CD has a great deal of rudundancy (error correction) in program files. As long as your scratches are radial, not circular, you have a chance.

Try cleaning the CD with mild detergent & a clean soft rag. Move from the hubcenter, OUTWARDS with your cleaning strokes. This is because of how data is stored.

This is a perfect lesson in why the US Federal Law exists (Title 17, Section 1): you bought and own the game, yet cannot perform required maintenance because you did not make your own legal archival backup, beforehand. Note: the Title 17 personal archive of legally owned software is a single duplication of each disk, stored and not shared with any other person or machine except to maintain your software on the legally installed machine).

Though the files you listed are 'harmless' by themselves, they are copyrighted. The same Title 17 that protects your rights as a purchaser also protect the copyright owner, Activision. And unless Activision authorizes HG to post even some of its files (they have not, to my knowledge), we must respect that.

Now for GOOD NEWS. Activision will replace defective disks, at the retailer where you bought yours. Take them in, and ask for exchange. They may require your reciept, but will do it (Activision requires it in their store contract to sell their games). If they complain about the dated reciept (e.g., more than 90 days), then give your disks as a gift to a buddy who got them for Christmas, and let your buddy exchange them. Maybe your buddy might give them back, and then you will of course make your own Title 17 archival backup.

For example, here and here are examples of where Activision officially tells people with bad disks & bad serial numbers to return them to the retailer for exchange (no time limit, if your retailer is 'snotty' about it)...

Quoted from Activision defective disk return policy:

If you stll have problems then you may have a bad disc. Return the game to the store you bought it at for an exchange.

posted 17 December 2005 05:35 EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Wartrain, your mention about archiving the rtw original disk(s), can this be done?

I tried to burn a copy for backup use and when I tested the backup...did not work.

I know some companies put info on the boot sector of the disk that is exclusive to the original and I just assumed this was the case with the rtw disk(s).

Is there something I am missing in burning a copy for archival?

posted 17 December 2005 06:16 EDT (US)     4 / 4  

Quote:

I tried to burn a copy for backup use and when I tested the backup...did not work.

I know some companies put info on the boot sector of the disk that is exclusive to the original and I just assumed this was the case with the rtw disk(s).

I will only point out people's legal rights as granted in Federal Law. Unfortunately, many people can abuse this, and so I will not discuss, link, etc. methodology. This is because a different Federal Law, the Digital Millenium Rights Act, grants protection to DRM (Digital Rights Management) methods used by copyright holders. This area of law is undergoing revision both in Congress and in test cases in court.

But the bottom line is that I won't discuss the How's (also, its very easy for people to violate the HG CoC if this was discussed). I won't be making any HOWTOs for it. However, I echo what Activison offically says, and that's that only CD1 has the DRM protection on it... that's why they recommend the desktop install and post the procedure.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » RTW CD got hosed. Need help please...:(
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames