You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unable to start computer..
posted 21 December 2005 17:01 EDT (US)   
I was loading my good computer when, right before the login screen, an inaccessible boot device error (0x0000007b) appeared. My alt key had broken the last time I was on, and that might have had something to do with it.

Please Help

[This message has been edited by Stray_Aric (edited 12-21-2005 @ 05:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 21 December 2005 19:43 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Sounds a little out of scope for a game forum, but maybe it's just me... Sounds like you have a problem with your OS or your hardware/keyboard. Have you tried contacting your hardware manufacturer or (presumably your OS provider) the Microsoft Technet forums?

Recommend you Google: inaccessible boot device error (0x0000007b) for a start.

GL.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor

[This message has been edited by Chonaman (edited 12-21-2005 @ 07:49 PM).]

posted 21 December 2005 20:33 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
This is a relatively common, and usually serious error. My dad had this, and sent his machine 5,000 miles (from Texas to Sweden) for me to fix 2 months ago (lightning strike while machine was on ruined the hard drive).

These are the basic things that typically cause it, though there are more:

1. Corrupted Windows registry (common)
2. Bad sectors on the hard drive (fairly common)
3. Power surge or outage (fairly common)
4. Bad or partially connected data cables (relatively common)
5. Upgrading your computer or BIOS (and doing something incorrect)
6. Transferring (moving) a boot drive from one computer to another (will cause it if you do this)
7. A boot sector virus (very uncommon)

- Have you recently entered your BIOS setup? If so, what did you do exactly.
- Describe the broken key incident in much more detail...
- Describe, in detail, the boot process that appears (including number of beeps, if any) before the stop error (it is a stop error, right?).
- Updated any drivers lately (or have Auto XP updates on)?
- Have you moved your PC physically?

In short, you have a problem which will likely require you to reinstall your operating system... if you are lucky. Hope your data is backed up.

Google will help, but before you actually do anything, you might want to post first. Worst case (not determined yet though), you will need to replace your hard drive and connecting cables.

posted 21 December 2005 20:59 EDT (US)     3 / 7  
That does it, I'm nominating Wartrain for sainthood! Microsoft tech support sucks compared to him, and he's free! (Just be careful, word will leak out, Wartrain)

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
posted 22 December 2005 08:13 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Thanks guys.

The broken key has the button and weird suction thingy torn off. there is only some microchip thing left exposed. That computer has no internet access (why I'm not at forum parties) so I doubt it could be a virus could it? ( unless one entered from the key? No, I don't know anything)

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Stray_Aric (edited 12-22-2005 @ 08:16 AM).]

posted 22 December 2005 09:02 EDT (US)     5 / 7  

Quote:

That does it, I'm nominating Wartrain for sainthood! Microsoft tech support sucks compared to him, and he's free! (Just be careful, word will leak out, Wartrain)

Why not make him a mod for the tech help section if he is willing to accept it? There is no doubt he has the skill required, and most people here realy trust him.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 22 December 2005 20:33 EDT (US)     6 / 7  

Quote:

The broken key has the button and weird suction thingy torn off. there is only some microchip thing left exposed. That computer has no internet access (why I'm not at forum parties) so I doubt it could be a virus could it? ( unless one entered from the key? No, I don't know anything)

The problem you might get is a stray key input, if your keyboard is damaged. At an awkward moment during boot, or system operation, this might have undesired effects.

About the causes I posted earlier, are any possibilites with your system? Do you run and AV program? Viruses do not enter through keyboards, but they can enter if you both have MS Internet Explorer installed (99.9% of people do, and really have no choice) and visit a website whose author would like to corrupt your machine. However, these days these sorts of attacks are extrememly rare on boot sectors... for technical and social reasons. So a virus is very unlikely to be the cause.

Until you can post more information, my guess is #1. Which means, for you, that you will need to either find someone in person to do some registry editing (if they don't know what HKLM means, don't let them touch it)... the problem is very likely in a system registry hive.

• Have you tried using F8 when booting windows, and booting to Last Known Good? Windows XP will then use a copy of the registry which last successfully booted your machine to attempt a boot.

• As you boot, every second or so, press F8, so you get the troubleshooting boot screen, and choose Last Known Good. Here is the text screen you get with F8:
    Windows Advanced Options Menu
    Please select an option:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA Mode
    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Directory Servicews Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice

note: Default is to Start Windows Normally

Do not blindly just try everything. The only thing that will assist you is Last Known Good, or (possibly) Safe Mode.

There are other troubleshooting options too... namely booting from a custom disk and repairing any damage manually. But that is way way too much to explain here, though you might be able to get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it in person for you that way. If someone does, your first priority should be to save any essential data first, then attempt the repair.

You can also boot from the original WindowsXP disk... but there are not many options from the repair console to fix it.

So... you can describe the problem more...

• posted 22 December 2005 22:43 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
    Thanks for all the help.

I tried the last known good thing but it failed in the same way. because of this, I assume its the broken key input. At any rate, my dad knows a guy who fixes stuff like like this and is sending it to him for repairs later this Christmas. Thanks for all your help!

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Unable to start computer..
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Total War Heaven | HeavenGames