You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How do I know I installed 1.5 over 1.3?
posted 26 December 2005 20:58 EDT (US)   
Hello people,long time since I last visited this place!

I recently downloaded patches 1.3&1.5 and installed(?)them.

For one thing I know I am not playing 1.2 patch anymore.Cause some things in the game are different now (most of them bad changes,imo,but we can talk this in another thread)...

The point is,I never played a single second of the 1.3 patch,so I dont have the slightest idea about how it looks (looked) like.I just installed it,and straight afterwards installed 1.5.

I can give a clue-now the unit morale during the battle is fully detailed (like in B.I),e.g,"feeling secure on the hill" or "concerned over exposed flanks" or "fleeing in panic and oblivion to the world",etc.Is this patch 1.5,then?

Thanks.

e.g:since the patches are official,why is it so difficult for the creators to put a sign on the screen (under the game logo,for instance) informing the ignorants like me,of what patch am I currently playing?

Replies:
posted 26 December 2005 22:19 EDT (US)     1 / 13  
If you go to the options menu from the main screen, it will say what version you have in the top right of the screen.

'The Phoenix can fly only when its feathers are grown'

Formerly Zygodactyl

posted 27 December 2005 00:30 EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Cheers mate.You ve been very helpfull.

By the way,yes its 1.5 I installed.And its horrible.

...back to 1.2!

(its killing me to think that I have to un-install-re-install,re-blah-blah...but seriously-1.5 looked dreadful to play as a Scipio-unfortunatelly-better luck next patch!)

posted 27 December 2005 01:48 EDT (US)     3 / 13  

Quote:

but seriously-1.5 looked dreadful to play as a Scipio-unfortunatelly-better luck next patch!

Patch 1.5 handles the Brutii and Scipii better than 1.2 or 1.3. The 1.2 patch is better than the 1.3 (IMO); but so far, I have not found any 'major' problems, like there are with 1.3 and even 1.2. Did you find some specific things with 1.5?
posted 27 December 2005 08:40 EDT (US)     4 / 13  
Hello Wartrain;

I am glad you ask (in fact thats why I threw my hints allover my 2 previous posts above,heh)-cause I was feeling unsure about posting a 'protest' thread in the discussions forum.So I am given the chance to protest here!Cheers for asking then!

When I play RTW,I play only the Scipio.Nothing else.And when I play the game I play trying to fullfill the following objective:49 specific (e.g not Chersonesos) provinces blue(Scipio),6 senate offices assigned to Scipios (or sons in law) and a poor purple corner in the middle of the map,totally weakened, waiting for the final attack.There is no other way for me.

Given the above,it means that I play a very 'careful' strategy,trying to keep at least 5 sympathy stars at the Senate standings,with the people being 7+.Lots of reloads,of course.

Playing carefully,means I do exactly what the Senate tell me to,and if possible,when I do it,it has to abide with the general Senate policy over that turn.E.g-I dont block ports for more than a turn;Cause they ask me for 1 turn only!And I dont block ports when the overall policy is "to absorb" the enemy cities.(and the opposite).It is very complicated and sometimes I even have to act otherwise than the Senate's policy dictates.

It also means that I dont accept adoptions,or betrothed that dont have either the "True Roman" or the "Political Animal" trait,no matter what other traits are!

In such a 'careful' game,the trait "Vanquisher" mustnt appear in any family member,unless it is followed by the "Military Tribune" retinue.When my members fight,they fight for specific traits to raise their people standings.Or they dont fight!I spend -literally- hours to auto-resolve battles with different formations in order to see the desired traits appear (Outstanding speaker,Local Hero,etc).

In 1.2 patch,the Military Tribune appears ONLY AFTER (mostly right after)your member has been marked as a "vanquisher" (and provided your fam.member has a spare place in his retinue scroll).Which was bad,imo,but anyway,it was a slight modification (In v1.0 Military Tribunes may appear without the Vanquisher trait)which I 'accepted'.

In 1.5,things got worse-really badly tuned:2 days ago,I sent a member to fight a 5-unit rebel army.Alone.It was his second battle (his 1st was a victory of 161kills-0losses,which had to be played manually in order to get him the Local hero trait-I usually auto resolve,but I will talk later about this issue-another major disappointment!).So I sent the young man over,along with a mercenary spearmen unit, and the result was a clear victory.I am sure his "Local hero" trait must have increased now,I was thinking....and I see "Vanquisher"!Just after his second battle!I turned red in fury!2 battles,not more than 400killed in total (after 2 battles only!),and he had already become a "Vanquisher"!Un-accept-able!

Also,after I weaken the other Romans to rebellions,I capture their cities (of course having being ordered by the Senate to do so).Usually I leave the Brutii temples of Juno erect (dont demolish them) in case one of my members -who has the "Given to Ill health" (I dont remember the first grade of this trait now) trait to decrease it.Any Large Temple of Juno should be enough.I was given the chance to test this issue,and I was proven wrong (or,the game failed to meet my likes!).The ill member of mine stayed in Tarentum for about 20 years,without a single move outside,and he never deceased the trait!Look people,this is unfair.When we keep barbarian taverns and bardic circles,we pay a cultural penalty,plus we get the (bad) "Social drinker" trait,but whenever there is a 'good' enemy temple we get nothing,instead?Is this the case then?Totally unfair!The overall tuning must change here!

Also,I discovered really bad tunings regarding the finacial traits.In 2! occasions playing 1.5 patch I had the "Flexible" trait appear,which was just unjustified!Having Saturn temples allover,always playing with 0 cash in the start of a turn,and knowing that this trait has never appeared under my management in any former game version (honestly) I got furious once more!

Bad tunings also at birth of new members.When the father is "Sharp" there should be a nice chance there to receive an "Intelligent" son.Or at least a "Sharp" son.I am not asking for "Genious".I saw very disappointing tunings in 1.5 compared to 1.2 regarding this matter.

The "Skilled bureaucrat" trait is a subject I opened in the Discussions thread yesterday,I wont repeat it now.

The diplomatic and subterfuge missions have been altered dramatically (some people might find it more realistic now) but my opinion is it has been changed to the worse.Its just not realistic to offer someone 60k denarii+maps+trade rights for just a mere ceasefire in return and meet his decline!Un-accept-able!

And the big issue (all patches,not just 1.5):There should be some kind of reward for heroic wins that you achieve manually.Generally manually handles battles give worse results (traits speaking) than auto resolved!In both versions 1.2 and 1.5!E.g-I have happened to win 241 phalanx-rebels with just 24 bodyguards and get nothing(when I say nothing,I mean nothing,not even the "confident commander" trait!),and when I reload I auto resolve the battle adding 80 archers next to my general...and then he became a confident commander!

Also the criteria which decide whether a win is heroic or not,must change.When 24 bodyguards beat 241 phalanxmen with no losses,or just one loss only,this is a HEROIC victory,not a clear one,and noone is gonna change my mind,no matter how badly they tweak
this game!Change it,now please!

Wartrain (or anyone) if you read all this,thanx-please throw a shout to whoever (I dont know who!)-I need a new patch,lol!!!

posted 27 December 2005 14:09 EDT (US)     5 / 13  
That was a detailed post! Now I'll make one even longer, LOL... This is something which I probably needed to do anyway (see end of post).

Quote:

I am glad you ask (in fact thats why I threw my hints allover my 2 previous posts above,heh)-cause I was feeling unsure about posting a 'protest' thread in the discussions forum.

People are always encouraged to post their observations and opinions about any tech topic, aspect of the game, etc.

Quote:

but whenever there is a 'good' enemy temple we get nothing,instead?Is this the case then?Totally unfair!The overall tuning must change here!

I have not examined this, but are you saying patch 1.5 handles it differently than 1.2? CA did not post all the tweaks they did, and so it could well be... Have you created any specific scenario setups, with some named characters to test? You can make them in descr_strat.txt... since most trait acquisition in-game is tied to a statistics (see end of this post for examples of exactly how), could it just be 'the odds'?

Quote:

Bad tunings also at birth of new members.When the father is "Sharp" there should be a nice chance there to receive an "Intelligent" son.Or at least a "Sharp" son.I am not asking for "Genious".I saw very disappointing tunings in 1.5 compared to 1.2 regarding this matter.

I did not see this was changed at all, from 1.2 to 1.5.

Quote:

The "Skilled bureaucrat" trait is a subject I opened in the Discussions thread yesterday,I wont repeat it now.

All aspects of the bureaucrat trait are unchanged.

Quote:

And the big issue (all patches,not just 1.5):There should be some kind of reward for heroic wins that you achieve manually.Generally manually handles battles give worse results (traits speaking) than auto resolved!In both versions 1.2 and 1.5!E.g-I have happened to win 241 phalanx-rebels with just 24 bodyguards and get nothing(when I say nothing,I mean nothing,not even the "confident commander" trait!),

This has changed somewhat from 1.2 to 1.5. I will list it at the end of this post.

Quote:

Also the criteria which decide whether a win is heroic or not,must change.When 24 bodyguards beat 241 phalanxmen with no losses,or just one loss only,this is a HEROIC victory,not a clear one,and noone is gonna change my mind,no matter how badly they tweak
this game!Change it,now please!

You have your wish... you in fact can indeed change it now... (see \Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt and compare using the info at the end of this post).

Quote:

Wartrain (or anyone) if you read all this,thanx-please throw a shout to whoever (I dont know who!)-I need a new patch,lol!!!

OK, you get your second wish in one day... the whoever is... drumroll... YOU! Yes, in the ultimate irony of life as a die-hard RTW-er, you are the one now in charge of making a patch... well call it a mod... let's call it the "Sep_18th_480BC mod" ...

Seriously, you can do all that you ask, except really some details of diplomacy, which involve coding. Few games are as accessible for deep changes by modding newbies as ROME TOTAL WAR ... And though I'm not a modder per se, there are real modders in our RTWH forum whom can help even more if you have questions; but what you are wanting is pretty straightforward in terms of changes, but will take time in testing... and of course overall game balance may be affected in ways that are not obvious at first.

This will set you on track, and show that its not really rocket science. Be sure to back up any file you mod before making a change. Use Notepad, not wordpad... or a programmer's notepad, like wordpad2.

============================================================ ======
============================================================ ======
export_descr_character_traits.txt

Summary of relevant changes of traits, from Patch 1.2 to patch 1.5... line by line.

Changes in trait naming conventions (e.g., plurality) are not included. If it is not mentioned below, then no changes occurred.

The unaltered 1.2 and 1.5 were compared character for character, and all data files in RTW 1.2 and 1.5 were searched for relevant additions...

=================

1.2:
Trait GoodCommander
Characters family
AntiTraits BadCommander

Level Great_Commander
Description Great_Commander_desc
EffectsDescription Great_Commander_effects_desc
GainMessage Great_Commander_gain_desc
Threshold 8
Effect Command 4

Level Legendary_Commander
Description Legendary_Commander_desc
EffectsDescription Legendary_Commander_effects_desc
GainMessage Legendary_Commander_gain_desc
Epithet Legendary_Commander_epithet_desc
Threshold 16
Effect Command 5

1.5: Changed(for Great_Commander): Threshold 10
1.5: Changed(for Legendary_Commander): Threshold 18

=================

Trait BadConspirator
Characters spy, assassin
AntiTraits GoodConspirator

1.2:
Level Very_Lively
Description Very_Lively_desc
EffectsDescription Very_Lively_effects_desc
Threshold 2
Effect Management 2
Effect MovementPoints 4

1.5: Changed: Effect MovementPoints 3

=================

1.2:
Trait BadConspirator
Characters spy
AntiTraits GoodConspirator

1.5: Changed: Characters spy, assassin

=================

1.2:
Trait IndecisiveAttacker
Characters family
ExcludeCultures barbarian
AntiTraits GoodCommander, GoodAttacker

1.5: Changed: AntiTraits GoodRiskyAttacker, GoodAttacker

=================

1.2:
Trigger V0020_Standard_Battle_Attacker_Crushing_Loss_VnV_Trigger
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and not WonBattle
and BattleSuccess = crushing
and I_ConflictType Normal
and BattleOdds >= 0.5
and BattleOdds < 1.5
Affects BadAttacker 2 Chance 50

1.5: Removed and BattleOdds < 1.5

=================
1.2:
Trigger V0040_Standard_Battle_Defender_Crushing_Loss_VnV_Trigger
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition not WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and not WonBattle
and BattleSuccess = crushing
and BattleOdds >= 0.5
and BattleOdds < 1.5
Affects BadDefender 2 Chance 50

Trigger V0060_Standard_Battle_Attacker_Clear_Loss_VnV_Trigger
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and not WonBattle
and BattleSuccess = clear
and BattleOdds >= 0.5
and BattleOdds < 1.5

Affects BadAttacker 1 Chance 50

=================

1.2:
Trigger V0080_Standard_Battle_Defender_Clear_Loss_VnV_Trigger
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition not WasAttacker
and IsGeneral
and not WonBattle
and BattleSuccess = clear
and BattleOdds >= 0.5
and BattleOdds < 1.5
Affects BadDefender 1 Chance 50

=================

1.2: Did not exist

1.5: ADDED (Totally NEW!):
Trigger V0095_Standard_Battle_Clear_Victory_VnV_Trigger
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition IsGeneral
and WonBattle
and BattleOdds >= 1.6
and BattleOdds < 2.1
and BattleSuccess >= clear

Affects GoodCommander 1 Chance 100
=================

1.2:
Trigger V0190_Withdraw_Before_Battle_Even_Odds_VnV_Trigger
WhenToTest PreBattleWithdrawal
Condition IsGeneral
and I_WithdrawsBeforeBattle
and BattleOdds > 0.8
and BattleOdds < 1.5
Affects IndecisiveAttacker 1 Chance 50

1.5: Changed and BattleOdds < 3
=================

1.2:
Trigger random_birth12
WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge
Affects BadBuilder 2 Chance 2
Affects Feck 1 Chance 2
Affects SmoothTalker 1 Chance 2

1.5: Changed: Affects BadCommander 1 Chance 2

=================

1.2:
Trigger harsh_lifestyle1
WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
Condition EndedInSettlement
and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
and SettlementBuildingExists = governors_house
and RandomPercent > 50
Affects Austere 1 Chance 2
Affects Cuckold 1 Chance 2
Affects Ignorance 1 Chance 1
Affects Pragmatic 1 Chance 2
Affects Stoic 1 Chance 1

1.5: Removed: Affects Cuckold 1 Chance 2

=================

1.2: None

1.5: Added Education (TOTALLY NEW):

;------------------------------------------
Trigger education

Condition IsGeneral
and EndedInSettlement
and SettlementBuildingExists >= academy
and Trait Ignorance < 1
and Trait Insane <= 1

Affects PhilosophySkill 1 Chance 1
Affects NaturalPhilosophySkill 1 Chance 1
Affects RhetoricSkill 1 Chance 1
Affects GoodEngineer 1 Chance 1

Trigger education2

Condition IsGeneral
and EndedInSettlement
and SettlementBuildingExists >= scriptorium
and Trait Ignorance < 1
and Trait Insane <= 1

Affects PoeticSkill 1 Chance 1
Affects TacticalSkill 1 Chance 1
Affects ArchitectSkill 1 Chance 1
Affects Stoic 1 Chance 1
Affects LogisticalSkill 1 Chance 1

Trigger education3

Condition IsGeneral
and EndedInSettlement
and Trait Ignorance < 1
and Trait Insane <= 1
and SettlementBuildingExists = ludus_magnus
and CultureType roman

Affects BoringSpeaker 1 Chance 1
Affects MathematicsSkill 1 Chance 1
Affects StrategicSkill 1 Chance 1
Affects PhilosophySkill 1 Chance 1
Affects PoliticsSkill 1 Chance 1

=================

1.2:
Trigger battle1R
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition GeneralHPLostRatioinBattle > 0.3
and CultureType roman
Affects BattleScarred 1 Chance 30
Affects RomanHero 1 Chance 15

1.5: Removed: Affects BattleScarred 1 Chance 30

=================

1.2:
Trigger battle4
WhenToTest PostBattle
Condition not GeneralFoughtInCombat
and PercentageEnemyKilled = 0
Affects Coward 1 Chance 10

1.5: Removed: and BattleOdds <= 1.2

=================

1.2:
Trigger family8
WhenToTest CharacterMarries
Affects Cuckold 2 Chance 3
Affects FaithfulWife 1 Chance 8
Affects Fertile 1 Chance 4
Affects Infertile 1 Chance 4
Affects WellConnectedWife 1 Chance 5

1.5: Changed: Affects Cuckold 2 Chance 4

=================

1.2:
Trigger agents2
WhenToTest SpyMission
Condition MissionSuccessLevel = slightly_successful
and Trait GoodSpy = 1
Affects GoodSpy 1 Chance 10

1.5: Changed: and Trait GoodSpy <= 2

=================

posted 27 December 2005 16:28 EDT (US)     6 / 13  

Quote:

and BattleOdds >= 1.6

What does a battle odds of 1.6 mean in x:y chance to win, as it's presented in game, before the battles?

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 27 December 2005 17:04 EDT (US)     7 / 13  
The odds are the ratio of raw units of your units the the enemy's.

Example. You have a total of 499 units attacking 1000 enemy. The odds are:

499/1000 = .499

If you have one more unit, the odds are 500/1000, or 0.500.

Tweaking these settings in 1.5/1.6 will affect certain strategies, including my own that I have posted about in regards to creating generals and getting experience.

These are the source of how certain things are computed, and why it can be advantageous to go into battle facing certain odds. Or not.

posted 27 December 2005 17:17 EDT (US)     8 / 13  
Hi again;

Wartrain,this was an excellent post you typed (like the vast majority of all your posts) but I feel I cant follow some of your thoughts

You see,recently I learned how to reset my computer by pressing ctrl-alt-dlt!Prompting me to tune the descr. -or whatever they called- files is like prompting me to pilot a spacecraft!Thanx for the advice,anyway.If it wasnt for my being a bit 'tardy' with this stuff,you would have become a real help to me!

Anyhow-I have a feeling I wasnt convincing enough,so I will give you another clue,different from traits/odds etc.that I posted before;

I will try to describe it with simple words (english isnt my mother tongue) and perhaps you will gather my point.Ok:

Down on your screen,when you play RTW,and right above the 'army slots panel' there are some "grayish" options:

"Army-City-Agents-Fleet."....now lets see how to describe it!

When you rightclick on these options,e.g "city", there appears a scroll on the upper left part of the screen with all the cities.(accordingly when you click 'agents',there appear all the agents that you may have).Right?

Then e.g you left click on a city from this scroll,to choose it,and then again right click in order to get another scroll on top right of screen this time,with all the information of the settlement,ok?

So,I,say, left click on Messana,from my left-scroll,then right click and then appears a fully detailed settlement scroll on the right hand (without the left scroll going away).This right-hand scroll automatically gives you the "construction" queue of the settlement,details of your governor,etc.

Now if you play v1.2,have a look down at the bottom of the screen,where the "army slots panel" exists.You can see the BUILDINGS of MESSANA (I use capitals in purpose).This is because on the scroll up right,you have the construction queue of Messana as I said above.

Now on this settlement scroll,left click on the "recruitment" queue.Ok,now look down your screen again,where the 'army slot panel' is.Where the buildings existed before,now you see the city garrison units instead,right?

Exactly,all this stands correct,cause 1.2 is a proper patch!

Try to do the same thing in v1.5.You will see NOTHING of the above when you look down the bottom of your screen.Cause what I describe as 'army slot panel' is "frozen" and shows up the army garrison or the buildings of the last city you entered by left clicking on THE CAMPAIGN MAP!

Its not so funny,especially for people like me,who are used to play this way (by right clicking and getting those scrolls)!

I honestly wish I could describe the case in a better way!
(and honestly wish whoever reads this to understand my point!)

posted 27 December 2005 20:08 EDT (US)     9 / 13  
I understood exactly what you are saying. I have just accomplished your tasks in both 1.2 and 1.5, clean install, long Julii campaign.

Patch 1.2 behaved exactly as you said. Here is a screenshot, so others will know:

[GIF, (97.87 KB)]

Patch 1.5 behaved exactly... as Patch 1.2 did. No difference.

Quote:

Try to do the same thing in v1.5.You will see NOTHING of the above when you look down the bottom of your screen.Cause what I describe as 'army slot panel' is "frozen" and shows up the army garrison or the buildings of the last city you entered by left clicking on THE CAMPAIGN MAP!

Good news: We have discovered that something is wrong with your particular installation, not Patch 1.5 itself.

Bad news: I don't know what the problem is. Likely you have a file modded or maybe a different version mixed with 1.5. This information is not stored in the Registry, for RTW. It could even be a setting in preferences.txt, as I do not know the function of every entry in that file (note to self: a good project in a month or two to definitively pin down every entry in it).

Quote:

Its not so funny,especially for people like me,who are used to play this way (by right clicking and getting those scrolls)!

You had me worried, as I'm a micromanager, too, and used these all the time.

Quote:

I honestly wish I could describe the case in a better way!

You did fine, now you just need to figure what happened to your RTW 1.5 install... you might need to reinstall (ugh).
posted 28 December 2005 15:21 EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Hello again;

Wratrain;I am glad you understood my point and I am most oblidged for all your efforts to try and help me/motivate me!From now on you are a reason to visit this forum.Its been ages (literally more than 7 years) since I visited a game-forum so many times in a week!

I too, have good news and bad news! (for me,both)

I had 1.5 (plus 1.3) removed.Reinstalled from scratch and putin my favourite 1.2.Then I went into exploration of the export files regarding traits and achillaries,like you tried to motivate me to!So,

...the good news is:Yes,I can tune my files!Thanx for giving me the faith that I can reach new scales in my pc carrer!

...the bad news is :I am d*mn too good a tuner!I hot-rodded my game,so much,that its impossible to play!It became ridiculous!

I mean:

1.Now all my members become 'superb administarators' in just 3 turns!

2.Every newly born and betrothed/adoption 'enters' my game with at least 5Com-5Man-5Inf traits!They are all geniouses,military geniouses let aside consumnate politicians etc.

3.A mere win of 24 bodyguards against just 81 spearmen now makes my member a 'famous orator'!.Not just 'outstanding speaker'!If the win is a really heroic one,he can become Roman hero and Famous Orator at the same time,no matter if its just his first time in the field!

4.3 riotings are enough to make my members "Rods-n-axes"

5.Removed the -1 influence of the overseer (perhaps the worst retinue that can follow a family member!) and of course 'eliminated' the traits "vanquisher","careless","flexible","financially irregular".

...and many more.To cut is short,its a funny picture.All are faultless!Not one single bad gene in our Scipio bloodlines!But its ridiculous.To see an 18y.o family member -having completed just 4 turns in the game and being called "Gnaeus the Orator" is ridiculous!An 18y.o Orator!Huh!

..I will have some fun enjoying my over-powers for a couple of days,but then I will move to B.I (patch1.6).

However,I have a couple of q's ...and because I have the feeling that you will reply once more,lol,thanx in advance for that!

My questions are:

a)What is the minimum and maximum value for the order "chance"? Is the min-max the same for all the triggers?e.g every trigger has a minimum chance of "0" and a maximum of "100"? or are there any triggers where the number "100" shouldnt correspond (being perhaps out of bounds too high)?

b)Is there any 'typo'effect upon my commands?For example,there is an event trigger and the line says "Chance 2".Now between the last letter of the word and the number exost two space characters.If I alter this space,does it affect my command?In the same fashion,say,I am abscent minded and somehow the last letter of the word "chance" is deleted...does that cancel the whole line command?...are such small mistakes in position to crash the game?

c)There is one specific retinue,refering to the Scipios exclusively,called "Sempronius Gracchus the Elder".Or at least thats what the line command says.It also says that he 'may' appear between turns 170 and 238 with a chance of 80,if my memory stands correct.I personally play ONLY Scipio.Since October 2004!And I play quite a lot.I have NEVER seen this person despite my ALWAYS keeping a spare retinue place for my leaders.Whats wrong then? (however I altered the turn trigger yesterday,lol-hoping to meet this guy from close this time!I ll tell you what happened!)

Thanx for reading it (and especially Wartrain).

(by the way-my posts are quite long and probably tiring,so sorry.I could have emailed Wartrain and save both space from this thread and your eyes people from the ordeal of my posts!I however think that some might find this stuff amusing,so I am posting it in the forum.)

posted 28 December 2005 21:23 EDT (US)     11 / 13  

Quote:

are such small mistakes in position to crash the game?

Absolutely, and double boldface it. Even a single, tiny, seemingly insignificant error can totally crash RTW.

However, the White Space is irrelvant. Tabs, indents, spaces between non-quoted characters are OK.

What will mess things up in a heartbeat is using a non-text editor. Hidden characters can crash RTW... use notepad, or a programmer's editor, like notepad2.

Quote:

a)What is the minimum and maximum value for the order "chance"? Is the min-max the same for all the triggers?e.g every trigger has a minimum chance of "0" and a maximum of "100"? or are there any triggers where the number "100" shouldnt correspond (being perhaps out of bounds too high)?

For chance, 0 - 100 are the bounds in all cases I know of. But the catch is that I have not done modding extensively, so a more autoritative answer is probably give in the modding forum, maybe Ace Cataphract. I have not been looking in the mod forum, but I'll probably start doing it as I get enough time.

Quote:

b)Is there any 'typo'effect upon my commands?

YES!

Quote:

If I alter this space,does it affect my command?

No, with the above caveat.

Quote:

I am abscent minded and somehow the last letter of the word "chance" is deleted...does that cancel the whole line command?

Will probably crash the attempt to start the game, going back to menu. Could CTD.

Ancillary ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder
Image roman_official_ancillary.tga
Unique
ExcludedAncillaries ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder
ExcludeCultures barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, egyptian, greek
Description ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder_desc
EffectsDescription ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder_effects_desc
Effect Influence 1
Effect SenateStanding 10

Trigger trigger_ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder
and SettlementBuildingExists >= academy
and FactionType romans_scipii
and IsGeneral
and I_TurnNumber >= 170
and I_TurnNumber <= 238

AcquireAncillary ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder chance 80

{ti_sempronius_gracchus_the_elder_desc}
A patrician with some liberal values. A rare bird indeed. Many watch his sons with interest.

What this means is you need to end a turn in a settlement, without having moved the general/gov. The building needs to be an academy (or better). Of course, be Scipii and be a General. The chance of this occurring is 80%. Set it to 100, and it will happen in 238 if a general is in a city with an academy and 100% of his movement points.

If you wanna play with it, set the year to 269, like this:

and RemainingMPPercentage = 1
and IsGeneral
and I_TurnNumber = 269

This will give it to you in 269, to the 1st general in a city with at least 1% movement left.

BTW, about your prior question, for example: This is identical, but different white space:

Condition EndedInSettleme
and RemainingMPPercentage = 1
and IsGeneral
and I_TurnNumber = 269

Quote:

by the way-my posts are quite long and probably tiring,so sorry.

Not really. Longer can be much clearer. Short is often ambigious, esp. in tech stuff. No posts are tiring... it is easy to quit reading if that is the case. Also, more info can often trigger the mind to work in more creative ways.
posted 28 December 2005 23:06 EDT (US)     12 / 13  
Heh heh...just crashed the game.Indeed,every tiny mistake con prove deadly

Anyhow-this post has already become irrelevant to the overall subject of the thread,so I guess this convo can stop somewhere here!

Wartrain,thanx again for all your help.

posted 28 December 2005 23:17 EDT (US)     13 / 13  
The advantage of hyperlinks is the ability to jump to any document, and I use them to link threads like this to places like this, so the content that serendipitously comes out is not lost.

I'll close this thread so linked replies of anyone else is in the thread about Character Traits.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » How do I know I installed 1.5 over 1.3?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames