You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Best Anti-Virus, Browser, Office, Anti-Spyware, e-mail [recommend]
posted 29 December 2005 16:41 EDT (US)   
This grew out of a thread in the Baths, Important: Forum Images Temporarily Turned Off.

Simple forumula for the Spoon-fed:

1. Use Firefox 1.5 or Opera 8.51 + Languages.
2. Use NOD32.
3. Use Open Office 2.0.1.
4. Use Anti spyware (Spybot+Spyware Blaster 3.4). Ad-aware is also good.
5. Use Eudora (if you use PC-based email).
6. Firewalls.

Its all free, and its all the best (for average users). Do not use the Norton (Symantec) firewall (At-guard was good before Symantec bought it in 1999, butc has now corrupted it). Do not use the MS (Windows XP SP2) Firewall. NOD32 is 30-day free trial.

Feel free to post your own recommendations or technical opinions (pro or con) about what is best for gamers, in particular. These products are what I currently install on all PCs that I touch.

Replies:
posted 29 December 2005 21:39 EDT (US)     1 / 5  
AVG is excellent.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 30 December 2005 07:02 EDT (US)     2 / 5  
I also use AVG...the point is,do I (we) really have any bonuses shutting it down while playing 'heavy' games?
posted 30 December 2005 08:27 EDT (US)     3 / 5  
It frees up more RAM, I think. But if you have more than enough for the game it doesn't have to be closed. It doesn't make much of a difference.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 30 December 2005 10:54 EDT (US)     4 / 5  
If you do not do any backgound scanning, downloading, autoupdating, etc. and all an AV program (or really any program for that matter) truly sits dormant, then in theory its OK to leave it running. In practice, some AV programs don't sit dormant while gaming, and scan files, sometimes as the game is using them. I'm not sure if AVG does or not.

The other thing that most users have no control over, and are not even aware of is OS housekeeping... swapping files and programs into and out of the pagefile (XP), resizing the pagefile dynamically, reallocating certain disk information, expanding/shrinking disk cash in 'leftover' RAM, initiating/responding to secret MS communication with your computer (not necessarily nefarious), and a few dozen lesser 'housekeeping' chores that go on without most users' knowledge.

How does it affect RTW. Basically, not much compared to playing a real-time FPS like Half-Life or Quake. That's because pauses, lags, stutters, slowdowns, etc. are not as critical in RTW as in FPSs... you don't 'die' because you system lagged 1/15th of a second at the wrong time in a firefight.

As long as the game runs, and the PC is 'safe' -- e.g., running AV + AS + Firewall (like router hardware firewall) -- then its OK to give up RAM/performance for protection.

posted 30 December 2005 16:05 EDT (US)     5 / 5  
I have an ADSL modem router that has a double firwall (NAT+SPI), is that good enough, or should I download one?
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Best Anti-Virus, Browser, Office, Anti-Spyware, e-mail [recommend]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames