You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Crashing to desk top. help
posted 30 December 2005 18:01 EDT (US)   
I have had RTW for a year. I patched to 1.5 and had a good campaign going and it just crashed to desk top. I tried all kinds of different things no luck. So, I started a new campaign and it crashed again early on into the tutorial.

I then wiped the entire game from the computer. I reinstalled and played it at 1.0 to get past the tutorial (no crash)

According to the BI I didn't need to update from 1.0 so I installed BI. Now I can't loan the campaign I was playing. It also crashes to desk top as it did before.

I can�t download 1.6 not that I think that will help.

I noticed on the RTW site had a bug fix for crash to desk top for the Polish version is there something for the English version?

The computer has the following specs:
AMD 3000
1 GB RAM
9700 Radian pro

Any clue as to what the issue maybe?

Thanks

Replies:
posted 01 January 2006 06:58 EDT (US)     1 / 2  
There are several different things.

Quote:

I can�t download 1.6 not that I think that will help.

If you have RTW, then only patch 1.5 is for you. Patch 1.6 is for BI (apply 1.6 to 1.4 only).

Quote:

I have had RTW for a year. I patched to 1.5 and had a good campaign going and it just crashed to desk top.

That can happen on occasion. The way to fix it the easiest is to just load a recent save and replay. Often, the CTD is a result of a rare combination of unit(s) in a certain location(s), and movement being blocked, that leads to an internal crash. The CTD is the way XP protects your OS.

Another way, if you determine for instance that the CTD occurs when you enter city XYZ it to wait a turn or two, and the internal issue that causes the crash will often not exist after the associated unit(s) or event(s) somewhere in the map are altered.

Quote:

I tried all kinds of different things no luck. So, I started a new campaign and it crashed again early on into the tutorial.

That is an unrelated crash.

Quote:

I then wiped the entire game from the computer. I reinstalled and played it at 1.0 to get past the tutorial (no crash)

The reinstall was unnecessary, based on what you posted.

Further, you need not replay to get past the tutorial. Using Notepad, you can change a setting in your preferences.txt file (its in yout RTW directory) from TRUE to FALSE, like this (its in line 58):

FIRST_TIME_PLAY:FALSE

It is a good idea to always back up a file you are going to edit manually!

Quote:

According to the BI I didn't need to update from 1.0 so I installed BI. Now I can't loan the campaign I was playing.

OK, what has happened is you are mixing savegame versions with installed patch versions. You cannot do that, after 1.2.

- If you save a game in RTW 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2, you can load/play that save in 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, as well as 1.5 & 1.6.
- If you save a game in RTW 1.3, it will load/play in 1.3 or 1.4. Supposedly it will play in 1.5/1.6.
- If you save a game in BI (1.4), it will load/play in 1.4 or 1.6.
- If you save a game in RTW 1.5, it will load/play in 1.5/1.6.
- If you save a game in BI (1.6), it will load/play in 1.6.

Quote:

I noticed on the RTW site had a bug fix for crash to desk top for the Polish version is there something for the English version?

The Polish version has different files. One file has a defect. That defect does not exist in the English version. You can never mix language versions of RTW.

So that's whats going on... several things. It does not seem like it is hardware or OS issue, based on your descriptions.

posted 01 January 2006 07:44 EDT (US)     2 / 2  
Added a matrix of savegame compatibility to the Patch 1.5 thread, here.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Crashing to desk top. help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames