You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Screen Shots..Please help
posted 11 January 2006 22:07 EDT (US)   
Hello, yes I have what most people will call a "noob" question, but I dont really care. Anyway, what folder do I go to to access my screen shots when I press shift+print screen in the game???

Thanks in advance.

Replies:
posted 11 January 2006 23:03 EDT (US)     1 / 10  
Its in the Index, but here is the procedure... and the direct answer is that its not captured to a file:

For Windows XP, there is a very crude, but simple, print screen built in...

1.a. To capture whole screen: Hit the Prt or Scr/SysRq key
1.b. To capture only active window: Hit the ALT+Prt or ALT+Scr/SysRq key
Note: You might need to hold SHIFT, depending on keyboard
2. Open your graphic editor (e.g., MS Paint)
3. Paste the clipboard (e.g., CTRL-V)

Quoted from MS KB173884:

How to Capture Screen Shots in Windows Using the Print Screen Key

Article ID : 173884
Last Review : December 16, 2004
Revision : 3.2
SUMMARY
This article describes different methods of capturing images on screen to the clipboard.
MORE INFORMATION
To capture a screen shot of the entire screen to the clipboard, press the PrintScrn key.

To capture a screen shot of the active window or dialog box (for example, the WordPad application window or the File Open dialog box), press ALT+PRINTSCRN.

The SHIFT and the CTRL keys do not affect the full screen capture.

posted 12 January 2006 16:43 EDT (US)     2 / 10  
is there any cind of software that i can download for free that could get me some not-so crude screenshots??

These mysterious creatures from the middle principalities of farthest Terra Nova are the children of of G'nitek'ram, the God of Shiny Things That Man Does Not Need But Desires Anyway. Dark and foul are the ceremonies that summon them; great and scary are their tusks; terrible is their gaze; unwashed are their riders; cruel and unforgiving their masters! Flee in terror! Run for the hills!-Yubtseb Elephants
posted 12 January 2006 17:57 EDT (US)     3 / 10  
posted 12 January 2006 23:28 EDT (US)     4 / 10  
There are many shareware and freeware programs, but I use HypersnapDX. I used to need a lot of screenshots for various work, and Hypersnap is (at least as of a couple years ago the last time I tested all screen cap programs) easily the best. You can set up keys to capture even the most difficult scientific software screenines, as well as Glide and DirectX fullscreen... and any window or region, and edit.

http://www.hyperionics.com/

They have a trial version, but have not (!!) tested it for adware/spyware; I assume it is devoid of that stuff, but be careful these days anyway.

After capturing and adding graphics as necessary, I use http://www.imagecave.com/to store the images, and link to them.

posted 14 January 2006 09:47 EDT (US)     5 / 10  

Quote:

what folder do I go to to access my screen shots when I press shift+print screen in the game???

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\tgas

IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN DOES IT MEAN WHAT IT DOES WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN DOES IT MEAN WHAT IT DOES WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT
posted 14 January 2006 11:26 EDT (US)     6 / 10  
Thank you, Romes Finest! I totally overlooked that last part "in the game". That's actually the real answer to his question; the Windows stuff I posted is for non-DirectX, non-glide, etc. screenshots.

Hypersnap, which has a trial version, is excellent as a 3rd party app for screen caps and edits and saving to lots of formats in RTW.

posted 16 January 2006 09:02 EDT (US)     7 / 10  
Fraps is another good screen-capturing utility which lets you take pictures in a game without needing to paste every single one in an image editor.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 16 January 2006 16:52 EDT (US)     8 / 10  
Yeah, Fraps is great. It also allows you to take 30 second videos and display your frames per second.

____/----\----(¯\--(-8-)--/¯)----/----\____
----•(¯\-{/\} /\ ¯][¯ (¯ }{ |- (_) [_ - () |\| |¯-)•----
¯¯¯¯\----/----(_/-(-8-)-\_)----\----/¯¯¯¯
posted 16 January 2006 23:50 EDT (US)     9 / 10  
I'm using FRAPs tonight to examine RTW performance in several low end machines. On a AMD1800, TNT2 32MB card, the campaign map FRAPS at 6 FPS with all high, or all low settings, even with mouse accel off. Drops to 4-5 FPS when scrolling map. Huge lag, but usable. Naturally, instant CTD when battle map (expected texture issue). But yeah, FRAPS is good, though not a particluarly great still screen cap. program.
posted 14 March 2006 08:43 EDT (US)     10 / 10  
couple of queries

firstly when i try and access the first page of this thread i'm getting the "page does not exist" error message.

secondly.

tried saving screen grabs as per manual. ie press print screen.

located the grabs in the tgas folder. 9 of them.

viewed them in Irfanview and paint.NET (Paint doesn't recognise .tga format files) and they are solid black.

any advice?

(System athlon xp2500+, FX5200 graphix 128MB RAM, 1GB system RAM, RTW/BI Gold edition (1.6) WinXP Home (SP2))

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Screen Shots..Please help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames