You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: When installing this pops up "Error reading from..."
posted 14 January 2006 19:31 EDT (US)   
When installing Rome Total War, and error mesage pops up saying "Error 1305.Error reading from the file C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome-Total War\Data\Sounds\Voice2.dat.Verify that the file exists and that you can access it." There are th options "Retry" and "Cancel." I have already installed the game once, and it worked fine. I only uninstalled it so that I could install a mod.(The directions for installing the mod said reinstall it first) This question is only about the error mesage, though, and I cannot install Rome Total War again because of it. PLEASE HELP!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
Replies:
posted 14 January 2006 20:26 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
OK, I can tell you how to fix it. But I have a price. I want you to post back with how it went for you, especially if it works. That will help others who later come with similar issues.

I've seen this several times before.

Quoted from 1305 error message during install:

Question
I am getting a 1305 error message during install.

Answer
- All background applications must be shutdown prior to running the game.
- Change the DMA setting on the CD-ROM drive.
- Try performing a desktop install.
- Try removing and reinstalling InstallShield from your computer. Please refer to the InstallShield Page for directions on how to do this. This game uses InstallShield version 9.0 and has a file with the .msi extension is the same directory as the installer file. This information will be relevant on the installshield page linked above.
- If you stll have problems then you may have a bad disc. Return the game to the store you bought it at for an exchange.

However, if this Activision "solution" does not work (and it likely won't), then here is how I personally handle it:

***FIRST***
Remove the contents of the folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\ . You will probably see an 0701 folder in it. Be sure to delete it in particular. You can backup the other directories in there, and put them back later if you really want, but it is normally not necessary, and I personally never do.

1.a. Test. If all works, then great. Don't do the rest of this post. But if problems persist, continue.

***SECOND***
This might seem long, but its necessary in most cases.... just take your time doing it. Perform a Full Manual Uninstall of RTW . If you skip this, and RTW later works when you install it, then fine (you won't hurt your OS). You're good to go. But if not, you must begin at STEP ONE and do every single thing all over again .

***THIRD***
Do a Desktop Install, and test it.

***FOURTH (Optional)***
Install multiple versions of RTW in one drive.

USEFUL LINKS:
Technical Index, including how to improve RTW gameplay & system optimization, etc.
Patching to 1.5, with links.
DOWNLOAD Patch 1.3, 1.5, 1.6
README for Patch 1.5/1.6
export_descr_buildings.txt - (Epona/Roman fix: only for Patch 1.5 & 1.6!) this file must be placed in the RTW Data directory (e.g., c:\Program Files\Rome - Total War\data).
Here is Patch 1.2
Manually uninstall RTW
Desktop Install RTW 1.0
Install multiple versions of RTW in one drive.

TASK ACCOMPLISHMENT APPROXIMATIONS:

TASK                       :  TIME (Typical)
========================== ==============================================
Auto-uninstall RTW : about 3 minutes.
Manually uninstall RTW : over 1 hour.
CD-based RTW 1.0 install : about 20 minutes.
Desktop Install RTW 1.0 : about 10 minutes (after 3 CD contents copied).
Install Patch 1.3 : less than 30 seconds.
Install Patch 1.5 : less than 5 seconds.
Install Epona Roman Fix : about 30 seconds (locate DATA directory).

Post back with your results so others might see and be helped.

posted 16 January 2006 14:07 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Thanks for the help Wartrain, I tried everything you said, and nothing worked.
BUT, I e-mailed activision, they replyed with a lengthy reply, I did what they said, and it worked!
Thanks anyways, Wartrain. You always go out of you way to help people, an we all appreciate it.

EDIT: Oops, I hit the wrong button in the wrong window, sorry. But your post is unchanged -- Wartrain

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 01-17-2006 @ 00:40 AM).]

posted 17 January 2006 00:38 EDT (US)     3 / 7  

Quote:

Thanks for the help Wartrain, I tried everything you said, and nothing worked.
BUT, I e-mailed activision, they replyed with a lengthy reply, I did what they said, and it worked!
Thanks anyways, Wartrain. You always go out of you way to help people, an we all appreciate it.

It would be of great help to post (or e-mail to me) what you sent Activision and their full response. There are actually about a dozen things I know of that can theoretically cause it, and it would help to understand what it was in your case, and if it was something that was generally unique to your situation, or can be of general issue to others. Basically, any information you can add of what you actually did would help, too. In tech writing, it is impossible to be too verbose . Thanks and I'm glad your problem is fixed!

posted 17 January 2006 15:25 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
#@!$$!@#, I deleted the e-mail!
I wrote them the same thing I posted here, and they gave me a looong response. I can remember next to nothing, but I do remember that I did some stuff under the control panel, and I resarted my computer twice. What he told me to do seemed like a bunch a crap, like something he just made up to sound smart. But it worked! Sorry I deleted his e-mail.

posted 17 January 2006 15:44 EDT (US)     5 / 7  
As a guess, did he say to change DMA settings on any of your drives, like DVD/CD in particular? If you think of anything else, post back. Also, what was their response time like? How many hours/days? Thanks.
posted 17 January 2006 15:53 EDT (US)     6 / 7  
These guys ALWAYS respond within a day
https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?p_sid=QnDvqSZh&p_accessibility=0&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3Nvcn RfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xMDc4OSZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2N hdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2h f bmwmcF9wYWdlPTE* Their's the link.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but I don't remember if he asked to change the DMA settings.

[This message has been edited by TotalWarFanatic (edited 01-17-2006 @ 04:00 PM).]

posted 18 January 2006 15:48 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
OK, thanks for posting back, TotalWarFanatic. That will doubtless help those who read your thread looking to solver their own problems . Its good that Activision responds reliably... thanks for that feedback, too!
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » When installing this pops up "Error reading from..."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames