You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Will this card be enough?
posted 14 January 2006 21:25 EDT (US)   
ok here is my question, I have a video card(mobility radeon 7500c 32megs) with a radeon omega driver(2.6.87) and it works... but my rtw game is slow and jumpy; I recently bought another video card(Its called 'M7' I think that is the same as my current one ie mr7500c) from dell which has 64megs of mem... I *think* that the this new card(which is the best my dell inspiron 5100 can support or so they say..) will speed up my rtw considerably but I don't know...
edit: I have 640 megs of ram

[This message has been edited by Matt the Elder (edited 01-14-2006 @ 09:26 PM).]

Replies:
posted 14 January 2006 22:19 EDT (US)     1 / 1  
I don't know what an M7 card is, but if you are getting any 7xxx radeon card, you are in for hardware support of only DirectX 7. Yuck. Ugh. Ouch. Run away.

Yes, you can offload some work to the CPU that is really the job of graphics cards. But for RTW what you want when you upgrade is DirectX 9 support as a minimum.

The other big big big big issue is you are running with 32MB video RAM. You will have game crashes, slowdowns, and/or instability. CA expected you to have 64MB for texture storage, minimum. And that is the way they optimized their graphics. Just because it plays for a while does not mean that all is OK... it is not. It just means that a combination of game settings and game circumstances have not caused a crash (try shooting fire arrows & burning buildings with unit size 80; many machines with 32MB will crash). This onset can be delayed a bit sometimes by increasing AGP aperture size to 128 in BIOS, but even this will not save a 32MB card from what is often a CTD. You need 64MB, minimum, to fully play the game... as a minimum. And CA was correct.

So no, I suspect the M7 card is 16MB or 32MB, and DirectX 7. You game will probably run choppy, glitchy, and occasionally crash.

RTW really needs DirectX 9 and 128MB of video RAM to run well. You can castrate the quality settings, and use small unit sizes, and improve performance, or enable higher settings and start to get laggy if you use a DX8 or 8.1 card and only 64MB RAM.

The dell site says they have DX9 cards, with 128MB RAM... I don't know if they work in your exact model, though. Even the Mobility Radeon 9000 (DX 8.1/128MB RAM) is very weak.

You can find some ATI data here.

Here are the Official Activision (CA) minimum RTW requirements:

Quoted from Activision minimum requirements:

Question
What are the minimum system requirements?

Answer
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

·English version of Microsoft® Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP
·Pentium® III 1.0GHz (1000MHz) or Athlon™ 1.0GHz (1000MHz) processor or higher
·256MB RAM
·8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
·2.9GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 500MB for Windows® swap file)
·100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
·100% Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
·DirectX® 9.0b (included)
·1024x768 Monitor Resolution
·3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
ATI® Radeon 8500
ATI® Radeon 9000
ATI® Radeon 9500
ATI® Radeon 9600
ATI® Radeon 9700
ATI® Radeon 9800
All nVidia® GeForce 3 and higher

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War™. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility.

Multiplayer Requirements:
·Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported.
·Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers.
·LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Will this card be enough?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames