The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Important: Forum Images Temporarily Turned Off
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 29 December 2005 10:05 EDT (US)   
If you want the short version of what is going on, take a look at the news announcement on our main page.

Quoted from Zen:

Recently an exploit was found out in the wild by a research on the Bugtraq mailing list. It involves specially crafted WMF (Windows Meta Fils), which when parsed by Windows ME/2000/XP/2003, causes Windows to execute program code. When it was found by the researcher on the internet, it was presented on a webpage that included a WMF image file in the HTML source code. The file in turn successfully installed a trojan onto a fully-patched Windows XP SP2 system.

It is recommended users take the following actions as a preventive measure until further information and patch is available from Microsoft:

• Switch to a browser such as Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari, or Firefox. THESE BROWSERS ARE NOT 100% IMMUNE: When they encounter a WMF file, they’ll ask if you would like to open it. If you are unsure of the origin of the file, do not open it. Also make sure your browser isn’t configured to automatically open WMF files.
  • If you are an expert that knows exactly what you’re doing and you know Internet Explorer’s security settings inside out, then make sure Internet Explorer is hardened to prevent this from happening. If you’re not, use an alternate browser as your primary means of getting around the web.
  • Do not click on WMF files found on your system. Windows Explorer is designed to parse files when you click on it to provide information about the file on the hover tooltip. This parsing routine will cause the program code in the WMF file to execute.
  • Do not use Thumbnail view in Explorer, for the same reason as above: Windows need to parse the file in order to generate a thumbnail; the process will trigger the code in WMF.
  • Because Windows XP also parses file headers to discover file type information, the harmful WMF file could be renamed to any image format (.GIF, .JPG, .PNG, etc.). Windows will still see the file as a WMF file from the header, and parse it as a WMF file, thus triggering the code. Therefore, do not trust images from strangers – don’t open them, don’t click on them, etc.

Please note that, as of this writing (12/28/2005), only F-prot is known to pick up on the fact that the WMF file is bad; and that it is known that Norton AntiVirus does NOT detect this

• If you DO have Anti-Virus software installed on your system, make sure it’s up to date, and that your subscription to virus definitions is current.
  • If your system supports DEP (Data Execution Prevention), please enable its support in Windows XP (Control Panel->System; click on Advanced tab, click on the “Settings” button under the Performance tab, click on the “Data Execution Prevention” tab, and turn it on. You can see if DEP is supported through hardware by reading the text at the bottom of the dialog box.)
  • Disable the Windows Fax & Image viewer extension. Go to start->run, and type in regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll, and click OK. You’ll see a window pop up – click OK on that window and the extension will be disabled.

On the HG side, we will convert all user-posted images on the forums to links until a patch is released by Microsoft. Since there will always be people who can’t / won’t update their machines for various reasons (laziness, warezed windows install, they’re on dialup, etc.), this temporary measure only helps to stop the initial wave of exploiters and give users a chance to be exposed to news of the problem and a chance to patch their system.

Up-to-date information can be found at the following web pages:

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
Replies:
posted 29 December 2005 10:09 EDT (US)     1 / 30  
Eek... Thanks for the heads up!

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 29 December 2005 11:27 EDT (US)     2 / 30  
Thank you Zen, and Cheese. I think it'd be a good idea to download F-Prot.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 29 December 2005 15:23 EDT (US)     3 / 30  
Ah, thanks for informing us. It's quite unfortunate, I hope it doesn't last too long.

I had assumed imageshack were the ones responsible, because the only theads I've visited with images were imageshack hosted...

Bugger. The big annoyance with this is that images which were also links to other places are now just links to the image - the link to the other place is gone. Particularly annoying for people who have used Imageshack thumbnails.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 12-29-2005 @ 03:31 PM).]

posted 29 December 2005 16:27 EDT (US)     4 / 30  
I'll be blunt.

It is insane to use MSIE. No one should use MSIE, unless:

1. You do a manual Windows update (and Firefox is changing even this).
2. You need to surf a site which is sabotaged by MS (e.g., MS Front Page) with code which causes the page to be rendered improperly by competitors to MS (like Opera and Firefox). Some financial sites lock you into useing MSIE.

This WMF exploit is the tip of the iceburg, but the reality is that most malicious code relies on one or more of the following on your machine:

1. MSIE.
2. MSN.
3. MS Outlook/Outlook express.
4. MS Office.

If you are a private individual (e.g., not a corporate user, forced by your IT department to use Outlook, e.g.), then do not use these programs.

There are a lot of "whys" and contentious fingerpointing about this, depending on one's BIAS. To cut to the chase, who cares about excuses. This is current reality in the MS PC world. Protect yourself as best you can, and avoid these if your usage pattern leaves you susceptible (vulnerable) to attack.

F-prot is a good AV program. I have used it since it was first introduced. NOD32 is best, and will automatically update NOD32 users (like me) within hours. AVG is good, and it is free.

On the other hand... (being blunt), if you have Norton or McAfee, then it is my opinion you should back up your system, repartition, and install a fresh OS, and never allow Symantec products of McAfee products to touch it. Use NOD32, Panda, AVG, or F-Prot. NOD32 is far away the best for gamers.

For e-mail on the PC, Eudora is the best. I cannot tell you of the hundreds of virus attachments Eudora has "caught" when I have had AV turned off... the virus will sit dormant (harmless) in the download directory, because it did not get downloaded into Outlook or OE. Do I run with AV off? Until NOD32, yes. But then I know a lot about them, and how to remove and defeat the few that slip through my "unprotected" machine... now (since October) I just NOD and forget it.

Of course, I could fill several hundred pages with caveats and technical explanations, and "reasons" why blah blah blah... but who cares. Just protect yourself.

Simple forumula for the Spoon-fed:

1. Use Firefox 1.5 or Opera 8.51 + Languages.
2. Use NOD32.
3. Use Open Office 2.0.1.
4. Use Anti spyware (Spybot+Spyware Blaster 3.4).
5. Use Eudora.

Its all free, and its all the best (for average users). NOD32 is 30-day free trial.

posted 29 December 2005 17:22 EDT (US)     5 / 30  
Thanks Watrtrain.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 29 December 2005 17:39 EDT (US)     6 / 30  

Quote:

It is insane to use MSIE. No one should use MSIE, unless:

It's amazing. I've been telling everyone here that for a year. They absolutely refuse to listen to me, calling me a Firefox fanboy. I bet they'll see that you said it and immediately download another browser.

At any rate, this sucks for me because, by enlarge, I use my Mac for browsing the forums. Though, at the moment I'm on my PC. At any rate, this is hardly surprising. Now taking bets on how long it'll take Microsoft to patch this exploit.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 29 December 2005 19:04 EDT (US)     7 / 30  
OMG THERES A BACKDOOR TO WINDOWS!! P#34r!!one!![/sarcasm]

Thanks for the info guys.

____/----\----(¯\--(-8-)--/¯)----/----\____
----•(¯\-{/\} /\ ¯][¯ (¯ }{ |- (_) [_ - () |\| |¯-)•----
¯¯¯¯\----/----(_/-(-8-)-\_)----\----/¯¯¯¯
posted 30 December 2005 11:40 EDT (US)     8 / 30  

Quote:

This WMF exploit is the tip of the iceburg, but the reality is that most malicious code relies on one or more of the following on your machine:

1. MSIE.
2. MSN.
3. MS Outlook/Outlook express.
4. MS Office.

I have all of these, but never use Outlook or IE and only use MSN occasionally.

Would using Windows Search find WMF files that have been renamed as well as those that haven't?

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 30 December 2005 13:28 EDT (US)     9 / 30  
Firefox/Thunderbird in the house. ^_^

Unfortunately I'm a member of the dark side when it comes to IM and Office programs. I hate Open Office, and I love MSN Messenger.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 30 December 2005 14:15 EDT (US)     10 / 30  

Quote:

Would using Windows Search find WMF files that have been renamed as well as those that haven't?

No (unless you search for an embedded string). But be sure to turn off the explorer preview, if you think you might have a problem with some files.

About people using the programs I listed earlier... you can, and its not a sin if you use them (or, gasp, even *like* them)... but people should just be aware that there can be a problem.

For instance, the MS OS has a disgusting secret called Alexa Spyware in it... most people are unaware of it, but some of us like to hunt that stuff down and remove it. We just don't like people (even MS), watching, infiltrating and infesting our daily life.

posted 30 December 2005 16:37 EDT (US)     11 / 30  
Honestly, I don't understand a single word of any of this technical stuff But thanks for watchin out for us, Wartrain. I already use Firefox, and I downloaded NOD the other night (the first night you posted the thread in the tech forums).

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 31 December 2005 05:13 EDT (US)     12 / 30  

Quote:

I love MSN Messenger.

HERETIC!!!

Oh wait, I find myself guilty too... to some extent.
But one thing is for sure; I would never dream about downloading the most recent version of it, for many reasons.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 12-31-2005 @ 05:14 AM).]

posted 31 December 2005 11:30 EDT (US)     13 / 30  
I'm really starting to hate both NOD and Mcafee. First, I scanned my system and it picked up a large number of serious viruses, but the program won't allow me to quarantine, delete, or do anything to the file. All the options, except cancel/continue, are grayed out. What the hell good is an anti-virus if you can't clean your system? Now, since I scanned, Mcafee keep poping up, of all things, trojan warnings.

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 31 December 2005 11:35 EDT (US)     14 / 30  
oops, wrong thread. sry.

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)

[This message has been edited by KaiserWinterfeldt (edited 12-31-2005 @ 11:37 AM).]

posted 04 January 2006 11:47 EDT (US)     15 / 30  
On 10Jan2005, MS might have an official answer to fixing the defective Windows OS, regarding the WMF/image exploits:

Quoted from CNN:

Microsoft hopes to have virus patch next week

Wednesday, January 4, 2006; Posted: 10:35 a.m. EST (15:35 GMT)

RELATED
CNN/Money: Virus threat rocks Microsoft

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp said it hopes to have a patch ready next week to fix the most recent flaw found in its Windows program -- a flaw that could leave computers vulnerable to a virus.

The software giant said in a statement it had "completed development of a security update to fix the vulnerability" that it discovered last week.

The update is being finalized and the company hopes to release it on January 10.

Microsoft added it has been monitoring any attempts to attack the vulnerability in Windows.

"Although the issue is serious and the attacks are being attempted, Microsoft's intelligence sources indicate that the scope of the attacks is limited," it said.

The flaw in the system lets computers come under attack if users visit harmful Web sites or open e-mail attachments.

Until the patch is released, Microsoft said computer users should be careful not to visit unfamiliar Web sites.

posted 04 January 2006 18:27 EDT (US)     16 / 30  
I have been using and testing the for the last day, and it has worked well. The wmf_checker_hexblog.exe tests the system, as advertized. This is the screenshot of the test, after the wmffix_hexblog14.exe patch is applied:

If you are surfing sites that you are not 100% sure of during the next week, or until not only MS releases its "fix", but experts test the stability of that fix for a day or two after its release (expected on the 10th of Jan), then you may want to use this non-MS fix, which does seem to work without causing problems:

http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm

This fix has been tested with leaked version of the Official MS fix due on the 10th, and it is compatible (as expected)... no problems. So personally, I'm using Ilfak's WMF patch utility until a stable MS fix is done. There are over 100 known exploits now, so IMHO its unsafe to web-surf unless protected.

posted 04 January 2006 19:43 EDT (US)     17 / 30  
Wow, I am somewhat surprised such a small program can fix such a large problem! But I ran the check and it says my system is invulnerable, so I am very much grateful to you, Wartrain!

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 05 January 2006 15:51 EDT (US)     18 / 30  
Due the high risk of this flaw, Microsoft has released the Patch today instead of Tuesday. You can and should download the Patch immediately at the Microsoft Download Center or via Windows Update.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Saltuarius (edited 01-05-2006 @ 03:53 PM).]

posted 05 January 2006 21:26 EDT (US)     19 / 30  
Stunning Reversal: MS releases WMF cure immediately!

A few minutes ago, Mike Nash (the Corporate Vice President responsible for security at Microsoft) suddenly announced MS would release the fix for the WMF Vulnerability problem immediately. Yesterday, MS officially said they would not release it until the 10th, despite having completed the fix on December 28th. This is what has caused HeavenGames and other sites to shut down graphics in order to protect site visitors while awaiting the official MS solution to this critical Windows XP defect. Mike published an open letter today "explaining" why MS reversed course and abruptly decided to release the cure they've had for a week already: first, "we have an update that we believe in" and second, "a number of customers are seeing exploit traffic hitting their ... systems." Frankly, this means MS took strong criticism yesterday for withholding the cure since December 28th, while letting people with XP or 2000 get exploited worldwide.

It is very important to note that the cure will only be available to users of Windows XP and Windows 2000. However, all versions of Windows are affected, including Windows 98, 98SE, and ME. The official "explanation" from MS is that "the vulnerability is not critical because an exploitable attack vector has not been identified that would yield a Critical severity rating for these versions." MS classifies the Win98 issue as "a vulnerability whose exploitation could result in compromise of the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of users data, or of the integrity or availability of processing resources." In straight talk, this means that MS would prefer you buy a newer OS, and leaving you open for exploit this time will simply help open your wallet.

If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you should download and install this critical fix immediately. If you have any other MS OS, then Micro$oft has totally abandoned you, and you are on your own.

More Info: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06001 (Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution)

Download the official MS WMF Exploit Fix: Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)

posted 05 January 2006 21:27 EDT (US)     20 / 30  
Now for the GOOD NEWS for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, and NT(?) users. Although M$ has officially decided that you do not deserve the much-needed fix of the defective MS files (that MS is already able to provide, but will not because of corporate greed), others are not so evil.

In particular, a man I have known of since the 1980's when he developed the first releases of SpinRite, Steve Gibson, has publicly promised to provide a permanent fix for those that Microsoft has abandoned... if MS does not do it themselves. It turns out that Microsoft has simply now "reclassified" the WMF vulnerability in Windows 95, 98, and ME as "non-critical", instead of just fixing it.

To put the blame exactly where it goes, here is the blunt truth:

1. MS is the richest company in the world.
2. MS can easily fix all Windows OSs, not just 2000 and XP.
3. MS created the dangerous and defective GDI32.DLL responsible for this expoit.
4. MS created the old WMF "SETABORT" command from metafile processing. It is this unnecessary command that gives hackers and the world total control of your machine if you read e-mail or surf the web.
5. The SETABORT command can simply be disabled in all MS OSs. Problem easily solved, case closed.
6. MS rightly classifies the exploit of XP & 2000 owners as "critical".
7. Today, MS reclassified everyone else [getting electronically raped] as "non-critical" and undeserving of help to fix this problem caused soley and completely by the inadequate and defective programming of their own MS employees.
8. In short, MS caused the problem. MS can fix it. But they will not.
9. MS will be unleashing a new and sinister OS called Vista, supposedly on December 31st, 2006. MS would prefer that right now, this instant, that Win98 & WinME owners rush out and buy, usually for $200 to $500, their XP OS. Then buy the new Vista OS in a few months. Questions?

To summarize, help will soon be available from others, if MS does not relent and fix the all Windows OSs.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

Note: The sinister nature of Vista (Codenamed 'Longhorn') has been known for 4 years to those of us who are aware of MS corporate goals and policy, and understand OS design. It is way beyond the scope of this post, and still dependent on the final resolution of court actions blocking MS using the more sinister parts of Vista, but MS Vista's real purpose is actually to take total control of your machine, all files you create or have created, and everything you do.

People who use Intel P4 processors for the last 2 years have unwittingly been funding and purchasing the instrument of their unconditional surrender to MS and their plans to do nothing less that assume control of all PCs what runs MS Vista and XP SP3 (to be released shortly after Vista, according to Bill) in the world. In 2002, MS announced that they had forced Intel to include the hardware on every P4 chip, at the cost of over $100,000,000 collectively, after Fall, 2004. This will take control of your machine, and all you do, and all you have ever done... the new code-speak for this, given the strong negative reaction in the US to the MS/Intel code-name Palladium and the now-sinister connation it carries, is now TCPA (Trusted Computing Platform Alliance), or "Trusted Computing" for MS propoganda short use. A total misnomer.

MS has told US judges "trust us" we won't "do" anything with everyone's secrets and we won't "do" anything with secret contol of their machines. One judge asked If that were so, why did MS and Intel secretly collaborate and spend over a hundred million dollars since the year 2000 to develop technology that can take over all MS-operating system PCs on planet earth and beyond, and then testify that they would never use that expensive technology? It makes no sense, unless MS were lying, and the judge knew it. "Trust us, we're Microsoft" -- Bill Gates offered in defense of being csught in a lie. And the judge let it go. Money is power.

Assuming MS unleashes Vista as they have planned to do in December, it will mark the end of PC computing in a Windows environment as we know it today. Most of us will be transitioned to Linux by the end of this year (2006) anyway.

The irony is that those who know technology have always known that a greedy billion-dollar company would secretly invade average users' windows-based PCs, realistically in 2007. We were wrong. It happened in 2005, and the corporate evil responsible for the first sinister takeover of users' PCs was not Microsoft (with their thankfully-delayed trojan Vista "OS"), but Sony BMG, using "ordinary" audio CDs!

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 01-05-2006 @ 10:30 PM).]

posted 05 January 2006 22:36 EDT (US)     21 / 30  
A friend of mine runs a movie-cg company here in town, and had to ban all staff from bringing in any Sony/BMG music cd's for use on any of the systems for fear of problems (we're talking several thousand dollars of hardware and software per computer)...the funny thing is that one of their main backers, and the company responsible for providing some of their most expensive equipment, is Sony.

Cats, Sex and Nazis...That's why they call me Mr. Happy
Proud Purveyor of Panda Porn...You know you want it!
Things I'm Not Allowed To Do While Gaming
posted 05 January 2006 23:02 EDT (US)     22 / 30  
As this exact moment, my PS is now downloading (via Automatic Updates in XP) the MS WMF exploit fix. Note the timestamp. On this PC, I did not apply the fix, and turned auto-updates to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". Normally, auto-updates is off until I manually instruct XP to update, or DL and apply the update myself.

So MS gets pretty good marks for downloading the WMF fix reasonably promptly to me here in Sweden (within 4 or 5 hours of official MS release).

EDIT: Here is the screenshot .

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 01-05-2006 @ 11:08 PM).]

posted 06 January 2006 13:31 EDT (US)     23 / 30  
XP automatically downloaded the fix for me

So, now that the fix is out, will HG turn on images again?

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 12 January 2006 06:04 EDT (US)     24 / 30  
Will we get an aswear to that? It has gone 6 days now since the question was asked.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 12 January 2006 11:59 EDT (US)     25 / 30  
I'll ask it again too. However, I'm sure that certain issues of HG security and validating that everything is OK, plus to realize that people maintaining the technical side of the forums are volunteers with a lot to do... that's my educated guess anyway.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Important: Forum Images Temporarily Turned Off
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames