The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hellenic Mafia: Game Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 24  Next Page »
posted 18 February 2006 20:03 EDT (US)   
Macedonia is once again a threat in the north to the independent and conquered cities of Greece after the defeat of the Epiran threat. The free cities of Greece and Greek cities under despised Macedonian rule have sent delegations to Samos to discuss the possibility of an alliance against the Macedonians and for the future protection of all true Hellenic interests. The discussion has gone well. The alliance will happen, if the delegates can only return home safely.

However, the King of Macedon has received word of these efforts and has dispatched spies and assassins to eliminate the delegation and prevent them from achieving their goals. They sent men to intercept one delegation and infiltrate the meeting to make certain that the delegates are killed, the alliance never takes place, and after their enemies are dead, to sneak to nearby Athens and ignite several fires in the city to let it burn and teach the rebellious Greeks a lesson.

Rome, however, has received word of this meeting and taken an interest.

The Greek delegates have gotten word that one delegation among them is to betray them. They will stay in their chambers until they root out and kill the imposters. Since the delegation was called by Athens, the group will choose democratically who they wish to kill that day or if they would rather not kill anyone. At night the delegations return to their quarters.

Rules:

-Communication during the day outside of the thread is legal. If there is any sort of restriction on that, you will know by e-mail.

-Communication during the night with anyone is forbidden unless your role permits it.

-Do not directly quote the e-mail describing your roles.

-Do NOT edit your posts. Forum rules are suspended in that respect in Mafia games. Double post rather than edit.

-You are embodyments of fictional classical characters. My rules and I are the embodyment of all supernatural forces in the ancient world. As such, I tend to be more interfering in the lives of men than the classical Gods. Break the rules and I will break you.

-Have any questions about sensitive information? Contact me at c_ace89@yahoo.com.

Noble men who still walk among the living:
II. KaiserWinterfeldt
VIII. Johndisp
XI. MaximusDecimus
XIV. Steace43/Yakcamkir
XV. Centurion_13
XVIII. Celer

Souls of those roaming Hades:
VI. Aznninjahitman - Kydonian. Unarmed.
V. Adder - Spartan. Fully armed.
X. NA Lord Blaine - Argive. Unarmed.
III. Jax - Macedonian. Carried a dagger.
IV. Dio - Chamber Guard. Armed.
XIII. Admiral Nelson - Macedonian Leader. Unarmed.
XVII. Sassenach - Loyal Thracian Servant of Athenian delegate. Unarmed.
XVI. Dricus Frisii - Corinthian. Carried a dagger.
XII. Tarquinius - Chamber Guard. Armed.
VII. Shrink - Roman Assasin. Carried a dagger.
IX. Ichbinian - Macedonian Assasin/Defender. Carried a dagger/buckler.
I. Shadowarmy75 - Athenian Delegate (Protector). Fully arrayed and armored.

Reserve of Peers:

II. Stone_12345
III. Emperor Augustus
IV. Seany Boi
V. Aeneas2
VI. Ferret
VII. Marcus Orentius

Bulletin:

~ 4 votes are required for a lynch.

~ It is currently day.

Events:

Quote:

Oh Muses, sing to me the story of the assembly of Greeks at Samos. Sing to me of the ragged man who walked into the delegation. The guards attempted to keep him out, but he knocked them aside and rushed inside, screaming, "Noble men of Greece, there are imposters in your midst! Among you are barbarians who ambushed me on my way here and are falsely representing my city, -" But before the city could be named the Fates cut the thread of this man's soul. Or was it the dagger that was thrown directly into his heart? Suddenly, an eagle let forth a fierce and shrill shriek from an unknown direction. A sign from the Olympians! But does it spell doom for the free cities of Greece or victory?

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Ace Cataphract (edited 03-13-2006 @ 09:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 20 February 2006 14:58 EDT (US)     1 / 599  
Oh Muses, sing to me the story of the assembly of Greeks at Samos. Sing to me of the ragged man who walked into the delegation. The guards attempted to keep him out, but he knocked them aside and rushed inside, screaming, "Noble men of Greece, there are imposters in your midst! Among you are barbarians who ambushed me on my way here and are falsely representing my city-state -" But before the city could be named the Fates cut the thread of this man's soul. Or was it the dagger that was thrown directly into his heart? Suddenly, an eagle lets forth a fierce and shrill shriek from an unknown direction. A sign from the Olympians! But does it spell doom for the free cities of Greece or victory? Sing to me, oh Muses...

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 20 February 2006 15:14 EDT (US)     2 / 599  
So this game starts with day ? How's that supposed to work Ace ? Nobody has done anything yet, nobody has any information to go on. We might as well draw straws for who we lynch first.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
posted 20 February 2006 15:14 EDT (US)     3 / 599  
Nice intro sequence btw.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
posted 20 February 2006 15:29 EDT (US)     4 / 599  
Aside from the fact that you don't HAVE to lynch anyone, I want to give everyone a chance for some participation. I don't like the idea of people dieing before the game really even begins. And to be honest, there's no difference in terms of voting whether it begins during the day or at night. The town might have more investigative knowledge, but they also have fewer people due to deaths, and no investigator reveals themself on the first day, so the town can easily be led astray. To be honest, the voting is as clueless whether you begin during the day or at night. So, get a conversation going and if you guys really just can't form an idea of someone to vote for, you just vote "no lynch", they day ends and you've got some more info and fewer people to work with on the next day.
posted 20 February 2006 15:37 EDT (US)     5 / 599  
OK....

In that case, Vote Mebertus.

I'm pretty certain he dropped out in the confirmation thread anyway but his name is still on the list. This makes him the obvious choice. This situation is a little wierd in that the normal golden rule of never, ever, under any circumstances voting for no lynch doesn't really apply. Still, there's no real point spending a couple of days talking about it and then still not lynching anybody, so a self-proclaimed inactive seems the best way to go.

posted 20 February 2006 15:50 EDT (US)     6 / 599  
Well actually that should be replaced by my name

<Add signature here>
posted 20 February 2006 15:54 EDT (US)     7 / 599  
Ahh. Never mind then.

Anybody have any new bright ideas ?

posted 20 February 2006 16:01 EDT (US)     8 / 599  
Wait for the Mafia to tell who they are because the game ain't getting anywhere?

<Add signature here>
posted 20 February 2006 16:06 EDT (US)     9 / 599  
Isn't this why Mafia games usually start at night? So the town actually has something to go on?

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY
posted 20 February 2006 16:08 EDT (US)     10 / 599  
@ Sass - How does him being the first to drop make him the obvious choice? Seems kinda pointless to me. What's your reasoning behind that?

(Ż`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´Ż)
¨‘°şO.:.Oş°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°şO.:.Oş°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(Ż`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´Ż)
(Ż`•.__.•´Ż)
(ŻvŻ)
posted 20 February 2006 16:17 EDT (US)     11 / 599  
I considered asking everyone to roleclaim, but that would be self-defeating.

我送你離開 千里之外 你無聲黑白
沈默年代 或許不該 太遙遠的相愛
我送你離開 天涯之外 你是否還在
琴聲何來 生死難猜 用一生 去等待

As Water on Rock
posted 20 February 2006 16:17 EDT (US)     12 / 599  
Actually, chances are we have exactly the same to go on as we would have had someone died, unless we had a lucky cop.

Still, this just means we have a very long day ahead of us. Sass's reasoning, I beleive, was that if he has dropped but is still playing, we lynch an inactive rather than anyone else. If I was going to read a long, long way into it, I could claim that Kaiser is a little quick to defend who is now Tarq, or a little quick to point the finger.

But you can all digest that as you will. Myself, I don't actually think we have much to go on yet. Actually, we have nothing.

Anyone up for a random bandwagon? Or some random posting for ferreting reasons?

house won this
posted 20 February 2006 16:19 EDT (US)     13 / 599  
Yeah, or voting for a no-lynch, but that would make you a mafia...

GdB
• • • • •

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract
posted 20 February 2006 16:22 EDT (US)     14 / 599  
Actually, that dosen't apply to this particular day, like Sass said, as not lynching someone merely brings the game in line with a standard night opening.

However, I'd rather act with some knowledge of who does what in the next day.

house won this
posted 20 February 2006 16:23 EDT (US)     15 / 599  

Quote:

Still, this just means we have a very long day ahead of us. Sass's reasoning, I beleive, was that if he has dropped but is still playing, we lynch an inactive rather than anyone else. If I was going to read a long, long way into it, I could claim that Kaiser is a little quick to defend who is now Tarq, or a little quick to point the finger.

Gee thanks for the support... [/sarcasm]

Meb was replaced by Tarq, so no, he's not inactive [anymore]. And if anything Sass was really quick to point the finger first, not myself. Furthermore I wasn't defending Tarq, but rather asking Sass why lynching the first person to drop seemed like a good strategy.

Maybe I should mention that this is only my second Mafia, and the last one I died on the first night.

(Ż`•.__.•´Ż)
(ŻvŻ)
posted 20 February 2006 16:24 EDT (US)     16 / 599  
Which is exactly why I implied that I wouldn't really run on any of that (or thought I'd implied it )

house won this
posted 20 February 2006 16:25 EDT (US)     17 / 599  

Quote:

Isn't this why Mafia games usually start at night? So the town actually has something to go on?

Yup.

To be fair to Ace, the first day often turns out to be pretty random anyway, but the results of the night actions do at least give something to go on, and can actually reveal quite a bit about the game dynamics which becomes useful later on.

Quote:

@ Sass - How does him being the first to drop make him the obvious choice? Seems kinda pointless to me. What's your reasoning behind that?

It is pointless now that I know that Tarq has taken over. My thinking was that as mebertus had already announced he wouldn't be able to be active in the game we had nothing to lose by lynching him.

posted 20 February 2006 16:29 EDT (US)     18 / 599  
Okay, I see now. Thank you.

(Ż`•.__.•´Ż)
(ŻvŻ)
posted 20 February 2006 16:51 EDT (US)     19 / 599  
Vote: Dio

It's always best to kill somebody. If he claims something reasonable than we don't lynch him, but if he doesn't I have no qualms with killing him.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 20 February 2006 16:52 EDT (US)     20 / 599  
OK, in an effort to introduce some kind of a point to today, let's have a look at some different options.

1) No lynch. This would be a bit of a waste in my view, and it's almost always a bad idea. However, as I said earlier, it probably wouldn't be so bad this time. If we are going to do it then let's do it quickly.

2) Random lynch. The chances are that there's about 3 Macedonians we could potentially hit, and I'm sure Ace said that the Romans were involved too. There's probably 2 of them and they're unlikely to be pro-town. This gives slightly worse than a 1-in-4 chance of hitting scum. Not too bad but it's a risk. Obviously this option also begs the question of which random target we choose.

3) Lynch the worst player. This seems a little bit mean but it's a tried and tested mafia tactic early on when you have little to go on. The problem is that I haven't played with most of you before so I don't have any idea who's the worst. The advantage is that even if you hit a pro-town player you at least haven't taken out one of your best.

4) Lynch the best player. This is pretty crazy and I wouldn't really recommend it. The theory is that we take out the best player because if they are scum they represent a massive threat to the town. If we do it then I'd suggest Adder, who's very experienced and extremely devious. But like I say, maybe that isn't the most sensible strategy.

5) Lynch Dio. This option is one for the traditionalists

Options 3 or 5 are my choice if we decide to do a lynching.

posted 20 February 2006 16:59 EDT (US)     21 / 599  
Dio is playing?

Vote: Dio

house won this
posted 20 February 2006 16:59 EDT (US)     22 / 599  
Exactly why I think we should just get rid of Dio, unless he claims something good.

Of the people on the list I view Jax, myself, Shrink, Sassenach as potentially the best players... as such they're recommended targets for the investigative roles.

And on that tangent the docs ought to protect us (or pretend to protect us to make the bad guys think that we're protected... yeah, I'll stop before it gets too convoluted).

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 20 February 2006 17:02 EDT (US)     23 / 599  

Quote:

Of the people on the list I view Jax, myself, Shrink, Sassenach as potentially the best players

Nice way to cover your mafia roles....

FOS Adder

GdB
• • • • •

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
posted 20 February 2006 17:10 EDT (US)     24 / 599  
Adder is far more devious than that. I think there's a good chance at least one of that list (excepting myself of course) is scum, but listing them all together would just be foolish for any scum player.

posted 20 February 2006 17:13 EDT (US)     25 / 599  
I know, but it still sounds suspicious to me.

I'm going to bed now (23:11 local time), will be back in about 9-10 hours...

GdB
• • • • •

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 24  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Hellenic Mafia: Game Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames