You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: damn projectiles for slingers making arrow-firing sound
posted 30 May 2008 14:43 EDT (US)   
I'm having a bit of trouble adding projectile types - i can take the info and literally copy-pase and change the name, but when i ask a unit to use the new type, all i get is a crash on startup (so it's not even an animation issue).

is there another document that needs to be edited to refer to new projectile types? Or is there a very specific way we give them?
Replies:
posted 30 May 2008 15:28 EDT (US)     1 / 11  
RTW has two files for projectiles, the one you want is descr_projectile_new. Ignore the other.

You'll also want to add show_err to your RTW shortcut so it will tell you what's going wrong. See here for details - http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/tutorials/command_line/index.shtml

I've modded the projectiles extensively. Just tell me what you're trying to do and copy/paste your text here and I'll get you sorted out.

Time to fight! Time to die! Time to win!
posted 30 May 2008 15:58 EDT (US)     2 / 11  
That's alright - once i did it in the right file everything went smoothly.

I was SURE i had done this before on my old computer...thanks for the help!

if you're really interested, it's nothing special, just testing to see if i could get a handle on unit editing. I reskinned roman peasants to wear less color and made them capable of throwing rocks a short distance. These don't kill (range 40, attack 1) but they do bother the enemy a little, and it makes the computer treat the unit as more timid soldiers - complete with skirmish mode. the whole "angry peasant charge against legions" was really dumb I thought.

The reason i needed the projectile menu was to lower the velocity of the stones, they looked crazyfast just using sling bullets :P.

I should probably say also that the way I set skirmish mode is the last thing on the list; that and the strange archery noise the rocks make when thrown? but i'll figure those out soon enough I think.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 05-30-2008 @ 04:19 PM).]

posted 30 May 2008 16:47 EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Did you change the skeletons in descr_model_battle to give the peasants a throwing animation? If you're getting archery sounds try a skeleton for a javelin unit. I went through the same thing with my frag grenade unit.

posted 30 May 2008 17:05 EDT (US)     4 / 11  
oddly enough I used a slinger skeleton, actually i used the whole slinger (and just cropped the shield and sling itself in the alpha channel). I'll try skirmishers though .
posted 30 May 2008 21:27 EDT (US)     5 / 11  
I am getting the same bowshot sound with my chosen slingers in ATW. I still have not gotten to the bottom of what is causing it. I literally copied over all the code in Export_Descr_Unit except the Type and Dictionary Names with the stats from a regular slinger (which makes the correct sound), and still it makes the archery sound. On top of that the chosens were using the same models and skeletons as the regular slingers to begin with. All I did was change their skin and increase their stats.
posted 31 May 2008 09:10 EDT (US)     6 / 11  
I had that same problem in M2TW. Here's how you fix it: in the "data" folder, you will see a file called "descr_sounds_units_fire.txt". In it, you will see sections like:
;;;;;;;;;;; SLINGER ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

type barb slinger briton, carthaginian slinger, east slinger, egyptian slingers, merc rhodian slingers, merc balearic slingers, warband hurler briton

add in the name of your slingers, and you're good to go!

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
posted 31 May 2008 16:14 EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Title changed to be more descriptive.

That worked! Thank you Commodore. I knew it had to be something with one of the unit names, but I had no clue what it could be. I thought that file was to set the sound effects for flames on things like burning buildings and flaming arrows or onager shot, not the sound effects of units shooting missiles!

Added to the List of Helpful Tools and Tutorials sticky.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 05-31-2008 @ 04:17 PM).]

posted 31 May 2008 16:41 EDT (US)     8 / 11  
ah, fantastic!

anyone know how to give the skirmish mode? not that i want you to do the work for me i'm still searching.
posted 31 May 2008 16:48 EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Don't all missile units automatically have skirmish mode? They do for me in all I've done so far. Just like all foot archers automatically have flaming missiles.
posted 02 June 2008 16:48 EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Under category in EDU change infantry to missile. That should let them skirmish.

posted 02 June 2008 23:01 EDT (US)     11 / 11  
ah, if only it did, good doctor.....

i'm missing sometihng but i'll figure it out.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » damn projectiles for slingers making arrow-firing sound
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames