You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: confused skin??
posted 14 June 2008 23:34 EDT (US)   
Ok, so i can usually sort these display things out on my own, or at least, i know when to quit, but right now i'm totally baffled.
type                            northern_archer
skeleton fs_fast_archer, fs_fast_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/bible/NORTHERN_ARCHER_ASSYRIA.TGA
model_flexi data/models_unit/bible/assyrian_archer_high.cas, 50
model_flex data/models_unit/unit_eastern_archer_med.cas, 60
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_eastern_archer_low.cas, 80
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_eastern_archer_lowest.cas, max
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

type northern_archer_horse
skeleton fs_hc_archer, fs_hc_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/bible/NORTHERN_ARCHER_ASSYRIA.TGA
model_flexi data/models_unit/bible/assyrian_archer_high.cas, 50
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_eastern_archer_med.cas, 60
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_eastern_archer_low.cas, 80
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_eastern_archer_lowest.cas, max
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f
identical, right? except for the 3 necessary word changes?

now, i also KNOW that the second unit is using the entry from descr_model_battle, because these are the only two that USE the new model. If it wasn't drawing from them, how would it know to use assyrian_archer_high.cas ??

HOWEVER!

although the Assyrian Foot Archers are displayed properly, (hey, sneak peek!!!) the horse archers are determined to use the skin designated by the .CAS

Replies:
posted 14 June 2008 23:49 EDT (US)     1 / 6  
You could try setting the textures in the .cas files and see if that fixes it. If you do not have 3ds max email me the models and texture and will do it.

I did find one thing in your code, but it should not be what is causing this. The medium .cas file for the Northern Archer is a "model_flex" rather than "model_flexi".

Another observation. You are not using mod:switch?

Finally, the Assyrians look very good.
posted 15 June 2008 00:08 EDT (US)     2 / 6  
If i set the texture in the .CAS file though won't it always display with that skin? (aka wouldnt babylonian horsed archers display the assyrian texture?) Sounds like a dirty fix (but gives it a try anyway...)

oh and i lost that "i" when adding in spaces for the forum. it's spelled right in the document .

i don't bother with mod:switch because nothing i've done yet affects normal gameplay (SPEAKING of dirty habits...)

lastly - thanks . ther'e still some work to be done (pants...!) but the hard part (new scale mail texture) is over
posted 15 June 2008 01:14 EDT (US)     3 / 6  
It will not always display the skin that is set in the .cas. It will still go with whatever you have listed in Descr_Model_Battle. But you still need to have a texture set in the .cas files that the game can find, even if it is not using it. Otherwise strange things can happen.

For example, almost all the slingers in RTW use the same .cas files, for the Roman Slinger. But the different textures for each faction that have them still appear normally.
posted 15 June 2008 02:56 EDT (US)     4 / 6  
no I know all that, otherwise i wouldn't be at a mod forum .

the issue here is very different though:

here two units use near-identical descr_model_battle entries. Each assigns assyrian_archer_high.cas to use the skin northern_archer.tga.dds. but while one (foot archers) displays properly, the other (horse archers) uses a completely different skin, unit_roman_archer_julii.tga.dds, the skin targeted in the .cas file.

What i can't figure out is why that is happening, as I know the game is reading descr_model_battle (because it uses the proper .cas), but choosing to ignore the line in which i've defined the skin. That's why i say "determined" - it's not using the skin i've defined for it. If I can't get it to use the skin i've defined, then setting the skin in the .cas file won't work (it will display that skin, but continue to ignore my descr_model_battle texture lines).

will post later with an update, jsut to try that out...but i don't have dds plugins for 3ds max working so i can't define the skin in 3ds max atm (which is why it defaults to roman_archer, which is the parent .cas that I edited to make assyrian_archer)

Both pictures are taken in the same battle of the same army, romans_julii.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 06-15-2008 @ 02:58 AM).]

posted 15 June 2008 10:00 EDT (US)     5 / 6  
You can always open the .cas file with Notepad. Then you scroll to the bottom and the default texture is there. All you have to do is type in your own instead.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
posted 16 June 2008 11:26 EDT (US)     6 / 6  
That is brilliant Mythic Commodore. It is actually easier to do it that way then to do it through 3ds Max. I am going to add that to the List of Helpful Tools and Tutorials.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » confused skin??
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames