Urbans vs Spartans Testudo test

Author File Description
Gaius Colinius
File Details
Game Version: Rome: Total War 1.5
Number of Players: 1
Player 1's Name: Gaius Colinius
# of Denarii: 1180
Somebody mentioned that putting Urban Cohorts into Testudo formation against Spartans would tire them out and make them easier to beat.

I wanted to test this so I loaded up the game and gave the Urbans two upgrades to bring them to the same cost as the Spartans. There are two replays. The first shows the Urbans in Testudo and I deliberately put them in Testudo and didn't touch them until the Spartans got tired.

Sure enough the Spartans tired themselves out trying to get at my men. They got quite a few at the start but towards the end, they were poking away with their spears to no real effect. I turned off Testudo and fought properly. The tired Spartans didn't put up much of a fight.

The second battle is the standard 2 line formation with auto-attack on and guard mode off. The Urbans loosed all their pila before the melee engaged. With their wide frontage, the Urbans started to "spill" around the flanks of the Spartans and it was just a matter of time before they ground them down.

Having tested both, I think I'll stick with the tried & trusted methods. :)
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Golden_Aura How do I view these? I know I need the game but I cant find out how to watch them because they do not appear on the replay list.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw how to on another video upload.

[Edited on 08/15/08 @ 09:51 PM]

Monkcrazy5
Rating
Rating: 4
Well Gauis, this was an interesting test where you yet again, proved that you don't need kyptonite to beat Spartans. When I went to watch the first battle (which was pretty long!) I saw you go into testudo, and let the spartans tire themselves out. Eventually when they got to very tired, you came out and totally destroyed them, however i'm going to have to take a little off for being so long.

In the second battle, you took advantage of the spartans' tight formation, and made a wide one. Your urban cohorts were able to wrap around this spartans and destroy them fast.

Additional Comments:
Good comparison! Maybe someday...Sacred Band or Armoured Hoplites will be better, (Sacred Band is the best!) and we can all say, Gauis did it!

[Edited on 08/20/08 @ 06:27 PM]

Gaius Colinius
File Author
Some background information.

General Willon suggested the idea here (http://rtw.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=4304) so I was curious to see if it would work.

The reason for the second battle was to see how the "testudo method" compares against the traditional Urbans versus Spartans battle where nine times out of ten, the Urbans will "wrap" around the Spartans and kill them easily.

I wouldn't go using this Testudo method online but it does work against the AI (as do most things!).
yuudev I want to ask how to make battle video or Movie?

I already make movie_cam but somehow i cannot find the file in RTW directory..

I already write in RTW property

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -movie_cam:capture_video

but once again i cannot find the file that i've safe

can you help me..

my rome total war version 1.5

(P.S.= if you want to explain me more detail sent me a message at yuudev@yahoo.co.id)
MrMoo I like the game. Yes. But I think it missed out something. Why can't spartans have the ability of testudo or tortoise formation? Since we've seen them use that formation before the romans did. Even if the roman verrsion was different due to rectangular curved shields compared to the spartans' round curved shields. It would be better if the Spartans were able to use not only the already effective Phalanx, but also their famous Testudo formation with their large spears sticking out of it. that would give them the uper advantage especially on defense.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:491
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:101.32 KB