Guides & Articles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: The Shimazu Clan
posted 03-28-11 06:04 PM EDT (US)   
The Shimazu Clan: A brief overview

Origins

The Shimazu clan come from the Seiwa Genji branch of the Minamoto Shogunate. In 1187, Minamoto Yoritomo appointed his son, Tadahisa, as military governor of southern Kyushu. Tadahisa renamed the province to Shimazu. The Shimazu clan was splintered into two contending factions following the death of Shimazu Sadahisa and remained fractured into the Sengoku Period. It was through the campaigns of the Shimazu daimyos during the Sengoku period the provinces would be reunited. They remained a powerful house until the end of the Edo Period.

Economy

The Shimazu openly welcomed the Europeans and frequently traded with them. Not only did they get guns from the Europeans, but they also began production of their own firearms that they sold to other Japanese nations. Kyushu Island was especially rich in agriculture due to the climate. It mainly grew rice, tea and soy. After European contact, the Shimazu widely grew the different produce the Portuguese brought with them including potato and tobacco. Silk and porcelain were also produced in large quantities. The clan`s economy was very strong because there was a high demand for a special type of rice that only the Shimazu were able to yield large quantities. Through this extensive trade, the Shimazu were able to build a strong economy that could support their armies and campaigns.

Military

The Shimazu military had a very important quality; they were adapting. Once the Shimazu came into European contact, they realized the massive advantages they could gain by using foreign technology and tactics. The Shimazu became famous for being the first to use firearms in battle. The Shimazu clan retainers and officers were very loyal and there was never any coup.

With the Shimazu determined to expand from their small land, their military tactics focused on defeating larger enemy armies. A common strategy was to lure the opposition into an ambush with gunpowder troops on both sides. When the enemy troops were in panic, they would commit the central forces which would often lead to the shattering of enemy moral and cause a mass rout.

Shimazu Takahisa

In Shogun 2, the main focus of the game is during the reign of Takahisa (1514 – 1571). He was the fifteenth head of the Shimazu clan. He was born in 1514 and became head of the clan in 1526. During his reign, he would lead the Shimazu on a succession of campaigns expanding the realm. This includes the regions of Satsuma, Osumi and Hyuga. His campaign was not complete, however, and it would take another generation to completely reclaim the area. The Shimazu, in the generations after Takahisa, would reign over the entire island of Kyushu. Takahisa supported foreign relationships and actively trade with foreign peoples. He was the first daimyo to bring Western firearms into the Japanese battlefield. He, for a time, allowed Jesuits to spread Christianity in his domain but later retracted his support under pressure from local Buddhist monks. He also had connections with the Rhukyu Kingdom and several other nations in the area.

The Shimazu were able to grow and prosper and become a powerful clan through strong economic doctrines from diligent domestic production and trade, efficient government organization, strong and loyal military and the fact they were isolated from Honshu (mainland Japan) and their wars.

Sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimazu_clan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimazu_Takahisa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyushu
http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.phptitle=Shimazu_clan
- various books that I read but I don't have now

I felt compelled to do research on the Shimazu clan as they were the first clan I have carried out a campaign as in Shogun 2. I also wanted to get a better since of this time period of Japanese history because prior to do doing this my Japanese history was centered on the Tokugawa Shogunate and WWII. This research has made me rethink my whole Shimazu play style because I myself liked to isolate myself and avoid firearms. Please give me some feedback on this.

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment

[This message has been edited by NinjXPk (edited 04-03-2011 @ 06:36 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-30-11 06:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Hi Ninj!

Thanks for taking the time to write us an article! There are a couple of grammar and sentence errors I've spotted that I will point out in more detail a little later.

As for the pictures - Do you have a photobucket account? That is by far the best way to post them up, if not you can send them to my email address (see profile) and I'll upload them to mine for you.

Once all this is done we'll start working on uploading this article to the main Shogun 2 articles section

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 03-30-11 01:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
Ok, Great. I have sent the pictures and their location to your email.

posted 03-30-11 02:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
Once you post it on the site it might be better calling it a history article.

Nice article! Waiting for some nice screenshots you have taken!
posted 03-31-11 10:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Alrighty, had time to read it over and take it all in. There are some things that stuck out that I'd like to see fixed before we make the move to get it uploaded to our main website. Please don't take offense to the critisicm it's merely because we want to establish a high standard of historical and gameplay articles.
In 1187, Yoritomo Minamoto appointed his son, Tadahisa as military governor of southern Kyushu. Tadahisa renamed it Shimazu.
Tadahisa renamed southern Kyushu to Shimazu?
Shimazu Sadahisa and remained fractured into the Sengoku Period. It was through the campaigns of the Shimazu Daimyos during the Sengoku period that the Shimazu would be reunited. The Shimazu remained a powerful house until the end of the Edo Period.
Too many ‘Shimazu…’ in here. I’ve underlined those I’d recommend you remove and replace with another word like ‘Clan’
The Kyushu Island
No The
The domestic economy was very strong because the Shimazu were able to yield large quantities of a special type of rice that could only grow in their climate which everyone demanded. The Shimazu openly welcomed the Europeans and frequently traded with them.
The wording here doesn’t quite work, too much like an entry in wikipedia. Firstly I’d describe it as “The Clan’s Economy” because “their province” was able to produce large quantities of a special, but very popular rice.
The Shimazu openly welcomed the Europeans and frequently traded with them. They also began production of their own firearms that they sold to other Japanese nations. Through this extensive trade, the Shimazu were able to build a strong economy that could support their armies and campaigns.
Here you could do with linking the two – if I didn’t know what you were talking about I’d have no idea how the arrival of the European traders is related to the Shimazu producing their own guns.
. The Shimazu clan was renowned for the loyalty of its retainers and officers.
I’m pretty sure they weren’t known for their loyalty, as in history this is something that wouldn’t be measured… it implies all others were unloyal. You’re getting mixed up with in-game bonuses that CA drums up or exaggerates.
Once the Shimazu came into European contact, they realized the massive advantages they could gain by using foreign technology and tactics. The Shimazu became famous for being the first to use firearms in battle.
This is repeated a little later so might not be needed here as well.
With the Shimazu determined to expand from their small land, their military tactics focused on defeating larger enemy armies. A common strategy was to lure the opposition into an ambush with gunpowder troops on both sides. When the enemy troops were in panic, they would commit the central forces which would often lead to the shattering of enemy moral and cause a mass rout.
I’m curious about this part, where did you get it from. I’m not sure if you’re describing in-game tactics or a real battle.
Takahisa Shimazu
Shimazu Takahisa. Remember Japanese given names appear after their family name.
the main focus of the house is during
This doesn’t really make sense, Shogun 2 isn’t focused on the Shimazu nor any one particular leader. I think you mean most of the game takes place during his reign as Clan Daimyo.
he would lead Shimazu
Need ‘the’ here.
expanding the nation
The realm, maybe. Nation doesn’t fit.
This includes Satsuma, Osumi and Hyuga
This includes the regions of…
Takahisa supported foreign relationships and actively trade with them.
Some grammar errors in this sentence.
Rhukyu
I think you mean Ryukyu. But weren’t these a string of smaller islands and not a kingdom?

Overall Ninj it’s good. But it reads too much like a bunch of facts copied from Wikipedia or a bullet point list, lots of separate sentences which aren’t really linked from one to the next.

If we fix the issues I mentioned above up I think we can safely call it a Shimazu Clan Brief Overview.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-31-11 03:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
The loyalty of the Shimazu was actually real and recognized and so it is not just in-game
I'm still not sure if a Clan can be renowned for their loyalty, and would be interested to see where you got this information from. It doesn't make contextual sense - how can we say they were more 'loyal' than the Uesugi, Takeda, Oda, Tokugawa, Kitabatake, Date, Ashikaga etc?
Through their loyalty, soldiers would hardly ever rout or betray their officers often winning the battle.
We can't really say this either, as there is no evidence to support it. Not to mention 'loyalty' would not effect battlefield morale.
The tactics are historical and not based off of my own strategy. Use the first source. I know wikipedia isn`t that reliable but it`s the only main source I had readily available.
You're right, it makes more sense how it is worded now.
Rhukyu was a string of islands but combined it made a kingdom with special trade items.
I'll concede this one, but it's Ryukyu.
The Shimazu military had two very important qualities; they were adapting and loyal.
Not sure what you mean by 'adapting'

Also; uploaded and added in all of the images you sent me bar the portrait (which was not Shimazu Takahisa, but rather Nariaki, a Daimyo from the early 1800s )

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-31-11 03:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
Oh, my bad about the picture. Can you just find a new one?

By loyal, I mean there were never any coups. Generals were determined to fight for the house. Many other houses had ambitious generals who tried to stage coups.

As for some battle examples, take the battle of Kizakibaru. They tried using it at the battle of Sekigahara but failed.

Sorry about the typo about Ryukyu.

posted 04-01-11 01:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
By loyal, I mean there were never any coups. Generals were determined to fight for the house. Many other houses had ambitious generals who tried to stage coups.
Do you have a source for this? If so you should add it in the article, especially as this is one of those subjects that is hard to back-up in a objective manner. Good sources are generally the best way to do so.

And if you can find them, the details of the books you've used are a very useful addition as they a) help back-up your story and b) provide a hint for further reading to interested readers.

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 04-01-2011 @ 01:09 PM).]

posted 04-01-11 03:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
The wikipedia page for the Shimazu clan says so. Before you get on my case for using wikipedia, let me just say that it is the only source I could find that could provide a lot of information. I went through all the daimyos and none of them had any attempted coups so I am assuming there have been none, although there could have minor ones not involving the daimyos.

posted 04-03-11 06:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Noted, it does. But I could go ahead and name other Clans which never suffered a Coup, are they also known for their loyalty?
Through their loyalty, soldiers would hardly ever route or betray their officers often winning the battle.
It's just we can't upload as a historical overview with assumptions and blatant speculation made like that, it gives the impression that such was commonplace amongst other clans and battles, which it was not.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 04-03-11 06:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
I removed the part just to go ahead. I see your point. I don't have that strong evidence backing it up. It's like saying the Americans today are known for being rich.

posted 04-04-11 12:47 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Thanks Ninj, definitely makes the article better

A f t y

A A R S

posted 04-11-11 07:40 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
Now published on the site: http://shogun2.heavengames.com/info/clans/shimazu/

Hussarknight
posted 04-11-11 03:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
Did you add the extra screeshot Hussar? Foolish cavalry.
posted 04-11-11 03:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
I did, to break the text up a little. 't Was the best screenshot I had with Shimazu in it, sorry for the horsemen

Hussarknight
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: