Guides & Articles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Hattori Clan Overview
posted 07-02-11 02:45 PM EDT (US)   
The Hattori

The other Clans fight.
But not all Clans play by the same rules.
One embraces the darkness
one embraces the shadows.
The Hattori are silent, deadly.

We are the Hattori, the Masters of Darkness who march under the black and red banner.

Japan is the homeland of the ninjas. No other place beyond the sea can boast such resourceful, devious, and skilled assassins and saboteurs. No other clan is more knowledgeable on Ninjutsu - the way of the ninja - than we Hattori. Hattori-trained ninjas are famed across the country, from the rocky cliffs of Iwate in the far north to the mikan fields of Satsuma, travelling up and down the land carrying out their masters' bidding issued from our home province of Iga.

As the only province we rule in the year 1545, the Iga province is located right next to Kyoto, the dwelling of the Ashikaga shoguns for generations. We are on very good terms with the current shogun, who has already approved the exchange of trade rights between his clan and ours.

But deep down, the Ashikaga fears us, and with good reason. Our Ninjas are smiled upon by the Gods, and are better than those commanded by the other clans.

Iga is not a rich land, and its borders are small. It has both a Sake Den and a Mountain Hideout, which houses the infamous Iga-ryű, a training school where superior Ninjas and Kisho Ninjas are produced. Thanks to our long-time traditions we are the only clan to start with a ninja, and Chisato is his name. The man is ready to risk his life for your cause... and for a bit of gold, mochiron. He and his fellow agents will have ample opportunity to prove themselves in our neighboring rivals' lands.

Not only do our ninjas enjoy marked superiority over their neighboring counterparts, but our infantry are also specially trained in Kisho, the art of stealth operations. The addition of Kisho training for our recruits costs more money, but it is worth the expenses. In battle they can reveal themselves/ deploy very close to the enemy, leaving the poor foe with barely any time but to prepare for an honorable death.

We have an army under the command of a loyal General, Momochi Taketoshi. It is not an experienced army, but they are ready to prove themselves. You have no enemies at the at this time, and you have the advantage of chosing.

The Asai Clan live to the west, by the Biwa Lake. The lake means they never run out of water, and they have very fertile soil, prefect for growing rice, rice for our clan to consume and export should we control their land.

The Kitabatake Clan own a province to the north. It is not very special, but has a port we so desperately need for the bountiful sea trade it may bring us.

The Tsutsui are found to the east, and are an easy target for us. A great temple is constructed in this province, a religious stronghold whose strong command over the people we could commandeer for our own ends.

Ninja

Ninja

And to the south lies Kyoto, the formidable citadel atop whose mountain fastness dwells the Muromachi Shogun, protected by a strong garrison of yari, katana, and bows. It would be foolish to declare war on the Shogunate with our present military and economy, never mind our lack of recognition among the clans. To be sure, our clan has the will, and the knowledge necessary to change that.

The Hattori are not rich by most definitions - yet. Iga has been the home of the Hattori for generations, but much of it is covered by high mountains, with scarce enough farmland to provide for our people. The Sake Den bring in a bit of wealth from locals and travellers alike, but we need more. Nearby we have many rich neighbors, and all that wealth just sitting there is certainly very tempting... perhaps it is time to sharpen our weapons, for there is much to be gained from war and the clever use of our mastery of the dark arts. All we need is a leader with a keen eye for opportunities to discreetly manipulate the affairs of other states, and of course a suitably flexible sense of honour...

If you are that master, then we urge you to ready your throwing stars, sharpen your blade, and lead the Hattori to victory!

[This message has been edited by Liam_the_Spartan (edited 07-04-2011 @ 07:07 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-03-11 12:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
It is very short. I will try adding a few more bits, but it's hard without getting too repetative...
posted 07-03-11 12:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
A nice and short overview, quite complete in terms of gameplay content. Here are some advice on how to flesh it out:
We are the Hattori, the Masters of Darkness who march under the black and red banner.

We control the province of Iga, right next the Kyoto. We are very friendly with the Shogun and have trade rights with his Clan.
Here I think you jumped too quickly from the clan intro to the Lands without connecting them with a paragraph in between. You can say a bit more about the Darkness bit, like how and what do they excel at that's Dark? Are they the best at ninjutsu or are they just accomplished at its application? To the uninitiated the Hattori clan might seem mysterious (and quite awesome), but maybe you could clear up some of that unfamiliarity with elaborations in the connecting paragraph?
Eg. We are the Hattori, the Masters of Darkness who march under the black and red banner.

Japan is the homeland of the ninjas. No other place beyond the sea can boast such resourceful, devious, and skilled assassins and saboteurs. No other clan is more knowledgeable on Ninjutsu - the way of the ninja - than we Hattori. Hattori-trained ninjas are famed across the country, from the rocky cliffs of Iwate in the far north to the mikan fields of Satsuma, travelling up and down the land carrying out their masters' bidding issued from our home province of Iga.

As the only province we rule in the year 1545, the Iga province is located right next to Kyoto, the dwelling of the Ashikaga shoguns for generations. We are on very good terms with the current shogun, who has already approved the exchange of trade rights between his clan and ours.
See what I mean?
Our infantry are specially trainned. Trainning them in the art of Kisho takes more money, but it is worth it. In battle they can start very close to the enemy, and leaves them no time to prepare for the battle.
- into -
Our infantry are specially trained in the art of Kisho. [Tell the reader what the heck is Kisho before going on] The addition of Kisho training for our recruits costs more money, but it is worth it. In battle they can start (what do you mean by start? Deploy?) very close to the enemy, and leave (no "s", I think?) them with barely enough time to prepare for an honorable death.
That's all I can think of right now.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 07-03-2011 @ 12:48 PM).]

posted 07-03-11 01:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Good guide, even better if you include GeneralKickAss's suggestions. I also noticed that you mention the Ise province and its port twice.

Hussarknight
posted 07-03-11 02:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
GKA, do you want to write the whole thing? Just your way sounds really cool and longer than mine. Why don't you write articles??

I will change your bits. Thank you. I am having a bit of trouble writing this one... Please, if you have any more suggestions...
Tell the reader what the heck is Kisho before going on
I have no idea.
posted 07-03-11 10:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
Thanks HK!
GKA, do you want to write the whole thing? Just your way sounds really cool and longer than mine. Why don't you write articles??
Wrote a couple for BI couple months back, had trouble getting back in "the mode" ever since - no not in that way, thank you very much. Your Hattori overview made me realize I'm much better at supplementing half-done stuff than starting my own.
I have no idea.
N00b! Or you could just do it like this:
Our infantry are specially trained in Kisho, the art of stealth. The addition of Kisho training for our recruits costs more money, but it is worth it......

I've taken the time to read it in depth, and impulsive show-off that I am, I've rewritten parts of it here and there. Take what you deem worthy, and let me rest...

But deep down, the Ashikaga fears us, and with good reason. Our Ninjas are smiled upon by the Gods, and are better than those commanded by the other clans.

Iga is not a rich land, and its borders are small. It has both a Sake Den and a Mountain Hideout, which houses the infamous Iga-ryū, a training school where superior Ninjas and Kisho Ninjas are produced. Thanks to our long-time traditions we are the only clan to start with a ninja, and Chisato is his name. The man is ready to risk his life for your cause... and for a bit of gold, mochiron. He and his fellow agents will have ample opportunity to prove themselves in our neighboring rivals' lands.

Not only do our ninjas enjoy marked superiority over their neighboring counterparts, but our infantry are also specially trained in Kisho, the art of stealth operations. The addition of Kisho training for our recruits costs more money, but it is worth the expenses. In battle they can reveal themselves/ deploy very close to the enemy, leaving the poor foe with barely any time but to prepare for an honorable death.

The Asai Clan live to the west, by the Biwa Lake. The lake means they never run out of water, and they have very fertile soil, prefect for growing rice, rice for our clan to consume and export should we control their land.

The Kitabatake Clan own a province to the north. It is not very special, but has a port we so desperately need for the bountiful sea trade it may bring us.

The Tsutsui are found to the east, and are an easy target for us. A great temple is constructed in this province, a religious stronghold whose strong command over the people we could commandeer for our own ends.

And to the south lies Kyoto, the formidable citadel atop whose mountain fastness dwells the Muromachi Shogun, protected by a strong garrison of yari, katana, and bows. It would be foolish to declare war on the Shogunate with our present military and economy, never mind our lack of recognition among the clans. To be sure, our clan has the will, and the knowledge necessary to change that.

The Hattori are not rich by most definitions - yet. Iga has been the home of the Hattori for generations, but much of it is covered by high mountains, with scarce enough farmland to provide for our people. The Sake Den bring in a bit of wealth from locals and travellers alike, but we need more. Nearby we have many rich neighbors, and all that wealth just sitting there is certainly very tempting... perhaps it is time to sharpen our weapons, for there is much to be gained from war and the clever use of our mastery of the dark arts. All we need is a leader with a keen eye for opportunities to discreetly manipulate the affairs of other states, and of course a suitably flexible sense of honour...

If you are that master, then we urge you to ready your throwing stars, sharpen your blade, and lead the Hattori to victory!

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 07-04-2011 @ 02:59 AM).]

posted 07-04-11 07:05 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
I presume you found my contributions useful then.

posted 07-04-11 07:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
Yes, I just edited them in... *Mumbles under breath*

No, seriously, thanks.
posted 07-04-11 11:17 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Always a pleasure doing business with you.

posted 07-05-11 11:15 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Just FYI, because I love this blog and will take any opportunity to link to it.

Hanzo Hattori

Note there is some "creative" language.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
posted 07-30-11 10:54 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Two-day Rule, Liam?

BTW that was great stuff, Bast.

posted 07-31-11 06:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
I suppose. I was going to see if the new DLC has anything I should add to it, but I guess there's no point in adding something about bandits.

2-day Rule.
posted 08-11-11 10:00 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: