Modding & Mods
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Unrestricted Battle Camera
posted 08-30-11 08:47 AM EDT (US)   
It is very,very cool and useful.

If you wish to try it, I will tell you step by step:

First, if using Vista or Windows 7, you will need to go into Control Panel, and in a folder called something like "File options", tick the box saying "Show all files/folders".

Now go to *Username*/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Shogun 2/Scripts (for Windows 7. May be different with other)

In that directory only one file exists. Preferences.Script. If you have xp then just open it. If you have windows Vista or 7, copy the file (Right click --> Copy) and paste it to the desktop. Open the version from the desktop and edit this line:

default_camera_type 0; # default_battle_camera , default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

To:

default_camera_type 2; # default_battle_camera , default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

It is only changing the number from 0 to 2.

If you're using xp then just save and you're done! If you have Windows Vista or 7 then save it, and delete the original one then drag the edited one into its place. You're done! Have fun!

NOTES:
* Only works in battles, not the campaign map.
* Works in multiplayer battles and is not considered cheating.
* You may want to keep an unedited version if Preferences.Script just in case something goes wrong.
* Works in Legendary and Very Hard difficulty. Meaning the extra camera restriction that comes with these modes disappears.
* You can now go further past the battle edge(Red line) with the camera, but not too far.

[This message has been edited by Liam_the_Spartan (edited 08-30-2011 @ 10:09 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-30-11 09:51 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Some tiny small problems I have found:

* If you zoom up really high, and the camera is angled upwards (Looking at the sky), then a line may appear on the screen. Change the angle normal or looking down and it goes away.

* If you go too high don't expect to be able to see well, as the clouds make it hard to see what is happening on the ground.

* If you go underground then zooming goes a bit slow.

* Sometimes at the beginning of battles the camera reverses, meaning pushing forward makes you go back, etc. All you have to do is twist around (Push cursor to the side of the screen), then it works fine the rest of the battles.

* Very rarely, the screen may go white apart from the unit cards, abilities and the mini-map. Double click on a unit card and it will go back to normal.

Some of the great uses:

* You are not limited to how high(Or low) you can reach with the camera. Meaning you will have better visibility over what is happening during the battle, among other things.

* Great for taking screenshots. you can split them into:
1. Overview Screenshots. Great for writing articles and showing how your strategy works.

2. Close up screenies. It is how CA get those incredible pictures we can only dream of. You will not be blocked by anything and you can angle the view so you are looking up at a samurai(From a frogs point of view)

* Lag. Experiencing a bit of lag? Well no more! Zoomed right into a battle usually means a lot of lag. Zoomed out as far as possible with normal camera you may still experience a bit, or it may go a bit slow, or jumps on triple speed. But as you can now zoom out as far as you want from the battle you will experience no slowness or lag at high altitude. Great for chasing down enemies at triple speed.

* Many other things that I can't explain or don't know.

* It's fun!

Some more Sceenies:

[This message has been edited by Liam_the_Spartan (edited 08-30-2011 @ 03:36 PM).]

posted 08-30-11 03:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Cool! but the bugs seem to out weigh the pros of it to bad you cannot turn it on/off in game.
posted 08-30-11 03:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Well they aren't really bugs. I seriously recommend it.

I mean, the only real bug that I mentioned that could annoy some people is the pressing forward making you go back. But pressing(on mine "intro") or just touching the side of the screen with the cursor fixes it, and you have a great advantage (Especially in multiplayer )

The other problems I mentioned aren't really bugs, I'm just telling you some things about it. So you don't think you can zoom out to the moon and still see you army, so you don't go underground as the fighting is about to start, etc.

You can always do it and just zoom out-in normally. There is no need to switch it on and off, since there is nothing forcing you to zoom out that far.

Hussarknight, if you read this I think you should do this too, even if it just for articles.

[This message has been edited by Liam_the_Spartan (edited 08-30-2011 @ 03:47 PM).]

posted 08-31-11 04:33 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Hmm, nice discovery Liam It can indeed be useful for article screenshots.

Hussarknight
posted 08-31-11 05:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Liam, I must apologize I now feel like a_______ fill in the blank.
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Modding & Mods » Unrestricted Battle Camera
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: