You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions
Moderated by peter2008, Lord Michael I, ericgolf, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sparrow's Extreme Challenges -#11 -- The Tortured Road: Act II - Return of That Thing!
posted 03-11-06 05:18 EST (US)   
main thread | main page | all challenges and solutions | rules | honour roll 

Sparrow's Extreme Challenges 
My personal picks of the most difficult maps to play on "very hard" setting. 

This is the map thread for:

Challenge #11   posted March 11, 2006 
The Tortured Road: Act III - Return of That Thing! 
by Andy Baz 
challenge info | download | solution | main thread 

Solution will be published with the next challenge in two weeks.

Please make all posts for this map in this thread.

Please feel free to post your progress, comments, discussions, compare notes, announce victories, or ask for help on this map, but ONLY POST FOR THIS MAP, please. And please DO NOT START ANY NEW THREADS for these challenges. Any new threads started for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges will be locked or deleted.

To post for other maps or for general challenge comments go to the main thread where you'll find links to all other challenge map threads.

Visit the main page for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges to see a complete write up with links, information, and solutions for every map.

Complete this challenge map and be included in the Honour Roll of Extreme Challenge Masters. To be listed for this map make a post in this thread to announce your victory. You MUST state what difficulty you played on so we know which honour roll to put you on.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader

[This message has been edited by Sparrow (edited 03-11-2006 @ 08:25 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-14-06 13:21 EST (US)     1 / 10  
the map is indeed hard to beat because you cannot rebuilt the walls.
I didnt beat it yet but at the weekend i will play it and hope i can lastly beat this good map.
Economy isnt hard and i soon got lots of gold to recruit man and had a siceable amy. But well... i will tll you more when i beat it on very hard or at least on hard
posted 03-14-06 16:05 EST (US)     2 / 10  
Great to hear from you. I'll hope to hear a successful report.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader
posted 03-15-06 14:56 EST (US)     3 / 10  
I'm so happy that my map is being featured Thanks Sparrow
posted 03-17-06 12:31 EST (US)     4 / 10  
after my faild tries i played on easy and won it and now i am trying my tactics on normal and than...
posted 03-26-06 13:53 EST (US)     5 / 10  
You can count me in, Sparrow.

This map was not to difficult to handle on first try.
Until the invasion came up...

I replayed on gamespeed 10 to be able to erase the buildings on fire and get the wood and money back from it.

I started to produce hop and wheat right away, and did not manage to collect any wood, except by the end of the game when the few trees that were not dead started to regrow.

In order to face the events and not to use too much beer, I placed the inns inside the castle - I ended up with eight of them - forcing the innkeeper to go back and forth so some beer would always remain on the stockpile. That is, if you put your inn near a stockpile, they will use more that would be needed and empty the stcok or keep it low. I always put the inns far away from the stockpile to prevent that, as the popularity effects remain quite a while.

I did not use the 30% blessed objective to get the 30 extras archers - the green ones - but once I had produced enough weapons I got rid of the wolves and bears and started to collect stone. I only hired archers and macemen.

In order to reach the amount of population of 230, I had to give them a job. I built a lot of hunters, which attracted at least the macemen and kept them busy, while I was weakening/eliminating the other enemies.

They finaly broke in, and most of them were knights who walk slow, maybe a dozen of remaining ones made it to the bottom of the access before I win.

Althought locked maps are not my cup of tea, it can be unlocked...

posted 03-26-06 18:48 EST (US)     6 / 10  
Okay when I download and click to play the map, Stronghold Crusader Closes and it wont load anytime I try to play it.
Note: it has happened to many other games as well.
posted 03-27-06 04:21 EST (US)     7 / 10  
crusadermacenite, this is a Stronghold 1 map. They have the same .map file extension as Crusader maps but are not cross compatible. Neither game will open the others' maps.

posted 03-27-06 04:37 EST (US)     8 / 10  
Good victory, Duc de Noisiel. Sounds like you had an easier go of this one compared to some of the others. I've checked off your name on the honour roll.

By the way, innkeepers will use the same amount of ale no matter where you put them, unless the inn is too far out and they can't deliver enough barrels. They will only stock up a maximum number of flagons, it's somewhere around 400 or 600, I can't recall which, which I think is about four barrels. I may be off a little on these, but not by much. Try it sometime. Put an inn close to the stockpile and you'll see that once the innkeeper reaches the maximum number of flagons he'll wait until their number dips to a certain point before fetching another barrel.

This means that when first setting up inns they will require more barrels of ale than when they become fully stocked. It also means an inn can go a certain length of time without fresh ale.

posted 03-30-06 13:56 EST (US)     9 / 10  
concrats Duce de Noisel nice too se you didnt have as many problems as myself had at this map =P i cant still beat it i am sorry i wont give up but its annoying.
posted 05-04-06 07:48 EST (US)     10 / 10  
Well I made this one on VH on the third try. I was hoping to make it on the first even though I didn't know what I was facing, but I was ill prepared for the final battle. On the 2nd try I possibly was a little better prepared, but they started to pour in on me so I decided to really tighten down on the third try. And here I made it smoothly even though the AI did their best attacking job hitting me only on one side.

I went strictly archers and on the final attempt I was able to get close to 600 for a 50% increase over the previous two. I also went for pitch, but it didn't come into play this time. I did pit every spot outside my wall and inside by gatehouses. I also went for the full good things bonus this time to help give an extra punch. They did punch through the outer wall, but were too weakened to do much else.

I though about deleting much of the castle, and closing in gatehouses for defense. By my 3rd attempt I only deleted areas that were not necessary for defense and using extra gatehouses as support platforms. Don't be afraid to keep at low gold for much of the game. Buy as much wood as possible to get your economy going quickly. Once your production is going the high tax + high pop will put you over the top. Even giving money for plenty of pit wood.
Also if you want to use up extra workers to meet pop it doesn't hurt to have bakers and brewers+inns. They keep your limited stockpile empty and if they over do it they just rest.

That is it. This was a fun map for me. Usually when I have to replay I find it tedious. Here it was funner each time.

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions » Sparrow's Extreme Challenges -#11 -- The Tortured Road: Act II - Return of That Thing!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames