Moderated by peter2008, Lord Michael I, ericgolf, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sparrow's Extreme Challenges -#12 -- The Oracle of the Forest
posted 03-27-06 04:41 EST (US)   
main thread | main page | all challenges and solutions | rules | honour roll 

Sparrow's Extreme Challenges 
My personal picks of the most difficult maps to play on "very hard" setting. 

This is the map thread for:

Challenge #12   posted March 25, 2006 
The Oracle of the Forest 
by pmn3829 

Plain, yes. Easy, no. Fight off bandits and archers while stewarding the forest carefully to get enough wood for victory. This one is deceptively simple looking, yet annoyingly difficult.
challenge info | download | solution | main thread 

Solution will be published with the next challenge in two weeks.

Please make all posts for this map in this thread.

Please feel free to post your progress, comments, discussions, compare notes, announce victories, or ask for help on this map, but ONLY POST FOR THIS MAP, please. And please DO NOT START ANY NEW THREADS for these challenges. Any new threads started for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges will be locked or deleted.

To post for other maps or for general challenge comments go to the main thread where you'll find links to all other challenge map threads.

Visit the main page for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges to see a complete write up with links, information, and solutions for every map.

Complete this challenge map and be included in the Honour Roll of Extreme Challenge Masters. To be listed for this map make a post in this thread to announce your victory. You MUST state what difficulty you played on so we know which honour roll to put you on.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader

[This message has been edited by Sparrow (edited 03-27-2006 @ 09:45 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-27-06 09:26 EST (US)     1 / 14  
well the map looks strange sparrow but i will have a go on iit and some of yoeur other challenges ( i didnt beat andi´s map so far) and i will post some comments when i have time
posted 03-27-06 09:49 EST (US)     2 / 14  
Glad you're going to give it a try. Don't forget it's how it plays that counts.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader
posted 03-27-06 13:49 EST (US)     3 / 14  
When are the solutions for all the missions coming? There hasn't been any for a while now...

Sand is overrated. It's just tiny little rocks.

Check out my latest map, Dear Brother
posted 03-27-06 15:32 EST (US)     4 / 14  
Yes they are a couple behind. Very sorry about that, but I am working on them. I hope to have #10 up very late tonight. Then I'll see if I can get Andy Baz's #11 done within a day or two after that. I'm glad someone's reading them. I never really know!

posted 03-27-06 17:18 EST (US)     5 / 14  
Hello Sparrow!

Your Challenge is very nice idea. I solwed some maps of Your selection on Very hard, including The Oracle of the Forest, where should I send saves and victory pictures?

Best regards, Futzy

posted 03-27-06 18:49 EST (US)     6 / 14  
Hi, Futzy. Glad you're playing some of these.

We cannot host screen shots here on the Stronghold Heaven forums but many members have their shots hosted at a free web hosting site so they can be displayed here. The first FAQ question in NAT's The Official SD Compendium: Take 2! lists a few of these free picture hosting sites. The BB coding to use to display them once they are hosted can be found in the Forum FAQ.

It's not required to post winning shots of your games but they are nice to see.

Your wording was a little vague in your post. Could you clarify for me (just in words) that you did do The Oracle of the Forest on very hard? If I read that correctly and you did I'd like to get your name up in the honour rolls as soon as possible.

If you have completed any of the other challenges on very hard (or hard), please post your declaration of victory for those in their respective threads, too.

posted 03-28-06 01:59 EST (US)     7 / 14  
You can count me in, Sparrow.

Well I must say I made it on the first try.

I started playing to see what was available or not to build and so on, and positioned my keep in the more accurate location, placed the granary, the armoury and the stone barracks. I did this several time to figure out how the game ticks and how the trees would spread around. Each time I let the game go 2-3 years.

I figured the stone available at the beginning was more useful to build a tower than to build a wall, and started the game.

I made it on the first try.

In order to let others try their own way, I will post how I did it later.

Anyhow:

posted 03-30-06 14:38 EST (US)     8 / 14  
Hi Sparrow,

Yes, I finished "Oracle of the Forrest" on very hard setting, like other ones, which I sent to You (last saves before winning and victory pictures).

Futzy

posted 05-05-06 08:54 EST (US)     9 / 14  
I have to say this map is one of the best so far. In that in its simplicity it almost turns the game into a puzzle.
It also was one of the toughest so far and after the first 2 or 3 runthroughs for me I thought it would be impossible on VH. Although in seeing that others could do it I knew it was possible. You basically have to figure out at least some of the puzzles and then you know how you can do it and then you just tighten the screws. I too don't want to share my solution right now. I will wait for someone official to do it. Finding out was more than half the fun of this one anyways and then you just let it play out.

posted 06-08-06 01:35 EST (US)     10 / 14  
ANYONE want to help me a bit? I've reached 731 Wood on Very Hard. Cannot get past that amount.

Without giving away too much, I use engineers at the beginning. But I need some help/tips to get more wood. Also wondering how you guys that have finished it have handled the first archer rush??

Simple but tough map on Very Hard.

One thing that didn't help the last time..I saved two mature trees near my keep, just about ready to cut one down and they just died! Bummer!

Thanks for any help.

posted 06-08-06 05:55 EST (US)     11 / 14  

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

Without giving away too much, think "popularity", Duke of The Glen...
posted 06-08-06 21:52 EST (US)     12 / 14  
OK, I still need help.

I finished it (defeated) on very hard with 866 wood. Could probably squeak out another 50.

What would popularity have to do with getting more wood???

Anyone want to help yet???? I have no problem with the bandits or small invasion, keeping popularity at 90-100 or having food and gold. (I just can't get enough dang-gone wood!!).

posted 06-09-06 02:09 EST (US)     13 / 14  
I think you need some quiet time in the stocks until you figure this one out. Or we can get you some more heads at the chopping block to help you out.
posted 06-09-06 08:14 EST (US)     14 / 14  
I think the difficulty is melting your brains.

If I was that good at stronghold...well...I'm just not.

Winter is coming. Stark words, Game of Thrones
Mr. Christie, you make goooooood cookies!
Sticks and stone will break my bones, BUT MY SWORD WILL HURT YOU MORE!
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions » Sparrow's Extreme Challenges -#12 -- The Oracle of the Forest
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames