Moderated by peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sparrow's Extreme Crusader Challenges -#1 -- Grove of the Divine
posted 11-12-05 03:10 EST (US)   
main thread | main page | all challenges and solutions | rules | honour roll

Sparrow's Extreme Crusader Challenges
My personal picks of the most difficult Crusader maps to play.

This is the map thread for:

Challenge #1 posted November 12, 2005
Grove of the Divine
by Harmonastix
challenge info | download | solution | main thread

Solution will be published in two weeks.

Please make all posts for this map in this thread.

Please feel free to post your progress, comments, discussions, compare notes, announce victories, or ask for help on this map, but ONLY POST FOR THIS MAP, please. And please DO NOT START ANY NEW THREADS for these challenges. Any new threads started for Sparrow's Extreme Crusader Challenges will be locked or deleted.

To post for other maps or for general challenge comments go to the main thread where you'll find links to all other challenge map threads.

Visit the main page for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges to see a complete write up with links, information, and solutions for every challenge map for both Crusader and Stronghold 1.

Complete this challenge map and be included in the Honour Roll of Crusader Challenge Masters. To be listed for this map make a post in this thread to announce your victory.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader

[This message has been edited by Sparrow (edited 11-12-2005 @ 04:01 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-12-05 16:42 EST (US)     1 / 25  
i tried downloading the map and it wont work... dont know if im doing somthing wrong or anything?
posted 11-12-05 17:01 EST (US)     2 / 25  
What happens when you try? I just tried it again and it's working for me.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader
posted 11-12-05 17:55 EST (US)     3 / 25  
i get a message that says that the file can not be found. and it wont download.
posted 11-12-05 18:04 EST (US)     4 / 25  
Could it be a pop-up blocker? I just checked the link and it downloaded... after I told my pop-up blocker it was ok.

.-°-.- Kester -.-°-.
-.-°-.- deviations .-°-. flickr .-°-. gamertag -.-°-.-
.-°-.- if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } -.-°-.
posted 11-12-05 18:18 EST (US)     5 / 25  
tried that.
EDIT:
nevermind i got it to work. that was very strange. it wasnt working and then i tried later and it worked....

[This message has been edited by MNICY (edited 11-12-2005 @ 06:30 PM).]

posted 11-12-05 19:12 EST (US)     6 / 25  
wow thats hard. i died.
posted 11-13-05 13:08 EST (US)     7 / 25  
I played this map and nothing really happened...

Enemy forces stood up where they had appeared, except for a few macemen that came to tickle a few walls but who did not really harm...

I wonder.

Finaly, I reached january 1199 without any attack of them, and the game ended with a "victory" message while they were not even dead...

Maybe I need the patch.

Not having any score screen is frustrating

posted 11-13-05 16:03 EST (US)     8 / 25  
Gee, that's a shame. This map has many huge invasions that should really test your mettle. There is an auto stop at 1199, but that's only after the last invasion.

Most of the invasions include 500 troops. Are you seeing many of them make it onto the board, or do they never appear?

What version are you playing? I'm using 1.1. I don't know that it would make any difference.

posted 11-13-05 22:57 EST (US)     9 / 25  
its realy hard. just was playing it a minute ago and i died. again. they just keep coming. i cant hold them off. i think that you should try to play it again to see if it still happens, or maybe, downloading it again.
posted 11-14-05 02:18 EST (US)     10 / 25  

Quoted from Sparrow:

What version are you playing? I'm using 1.1. I don't know that it would make any difference.

I checked. I have version 1.0. I guess I will have to patch it.
posted 11-14-05 16:21 EST (US)     11 / 25  
I played this map and won on the first try. I started off with the speed set slow(10), but once i got everything going and after the first couple of attacks i cranked the speed up and had no trouble defending.

My defensive strategy on basically all maps is to win the air battle and hold your fortifications. On this map I farmed with mostly apples. One cow farm for three butchers shops, about ten fletchers with a couple making crossbows, and one poleturner a ways away from my stockpile. The ai had a tendency to walk around the low corner of the castle that sticks down, so that is a great place for ranged units. Used lots of slingers, great unit that is cheap and can attack walking troops from castle walls. The last couple attacks with the speed cranked they breached my outer wall, but were killed quickly. I ended with over 600 troops left in a wide varitey. I think I may have played that map before, because it seemed somewhat familiar.

Overall it was a fun map and if you need tips I can probably help you out.

posted 11-14-05 20:33 EST (US)     12 / 25  
Great news, Lord Beaker. Congratulations. I've put your name up on the Crusader Challenge Masters Honour Roll.

You raise an interesting point for me, personally, as I generally do not use slingers. But I've heard from many sources that they can be quite effective in many situations. I'm going to have to give them a little more of a chance to prove themselves.

posted 11-14-05 20:44 EST (US)     13 / 25  
By the way Lord Beaker, since you were able to complete Grove of the Divine so handily, do you have Stronghold 1? In my opinion, if you want the really tough challenges, ones where you really have so sit back and think, come up with new approaches, work incredibly hard for some victories, nothing beats SH1 out of the three games.

posted 11-15-05 12:38 EST (US)     14 / 25  
I'm going to try this map and maybe one day I can win (last map I downloaded was very hard for me!).
I sometimes use slingers also (they are cheap and they don't need weapons, so you can create them fast and early on the game for defense against infantry)...
posted 11-15-05 14:44 EST (US)     15 / 25  
I do have Stronghold 1 although it's no longer installed on my computer. After getting Crusader, I found that Stronghold seemed slow and not as much fun for me. Plus I know I am much better at Crasader than Stronghold. If I get some free time over the weekend I may try the Stronghold challenges.
posted 12-04-05 05:17 EST (US)     16 / 25  
My solution for this map is now up at http://stronghold.heavengames.com/sec/sol/sec_solc_001.

posted 12-04-05 21:51 EST (US)     17 / 25  
How do i play the map after it is downloaded?
posted 12-04-05 22:37 EST (US)     18 / 25  
This is a Crusader map, so you must have Stronghold Crusader, preferably patched to version 1.1. The download will be a zip file. You'll need to unzip it and place the .MAP file in your "maps" folder under your main Crusader folder. I'm sorry, but I renamed mine when I installed Crusader so I'm not sure of the default name, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

When you open the game select "Custom Scenarios" and then "Play a Map". Grove of the Divine should be on the list.

Good luck!

posted 12-05-05 21:59 EST (US)     19 / 25  
This one was kindof hard but i managed through it. Nice map thats all i gotta say.
posted 12-14-05 13:13 EST (US)     20 / 25  
I haven't downloaded it yet, but the minimap looks super! I bet you worked days on this!

It looks hard too. If I die playing this.... well, that's because I'm a wimp.

Am off to get it now.

posted 12-14-05 15:11 EST (US)     21 / 25  
I somehow missed your post, LordShadow13. Sorry about the lateness, but your name is now up on the honour rolls. Hope to see yours up there soon, too, Lengo.

posted 12-14-05 15:35 EST (US)     22 / 25  
"I hope to see yours up there too, Lengo."

That's not gonna happen! I got whipped pretty badly in less than 2 hours.

But, this map is truly amazing! It is perhaps the best I've seen! It's beauty is incredible. The castle design is extraordinary! In a word, inspiring!

Now I'm gonna try to make a scenario -- just for the fun of it. I don't care if it ends up suckin'. Just doing it will be a pleasure. There are many ways to enjoy Stronghold Crusader. Thanks to this challenge, I've just learned a new one!

THIS GAME ROCKS! See this:

My Gamespot Review of SC

posted 05-06-06 14:46 EST (US)     23 / 25  

Not much more than a slaughterfest with some annoying fires. Reminded me how ugly Crusader is compared to the original Stronghold.

[This message has been edited by Ironfist88 (edited 05-06-2006 @ 02:46 PM).]

posted 08-03-06 18:20 EST (US)     24 / 25  
i could take that castle and burn it to the groung i just dunno how to play online yet or you and all ya mates can give me the castle as many frinds as ya want either way ill win
posted 06-22-07 17:01 EST (US)     25 / 25  
I beat it basicall I kept sending troop to stand guard at the gathering are and hand made a circle formation to keep a few missile troops protected but it was still incredibly hard do you want a screenie.
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Crusader, Warchest, & Extreme: General Discussion & Help » Sparrow's Extreme Crusader Challenges -#1 -- Grove of the Divine
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames