posted 05-02-12 11:33 EST (US)   
Once upon a time there was a dairy farmer with only 3 cows. Most of the day he sat around and watched the grass grow. The monotony was only broken by the occasional milking, the making of cheese, and bringing said cheese to the local food store (granary).

One evening, after a long day of more grass spotting, the dairy farmer got a bright idea: Why don't I build a tannery, hire a tanner, and manufacture leather armour for our beloved, but exposed troops? Years of waiting made him think twice, but eventually he made his dream come true. A war industry conglomerate was born!

After 10 years of continued dairy farming - now also interrupted by the occasional divine appearance (reincarnation?) of a calf each time the tanner had picked up one of the cows for patriotic use - the farmer took a good look at his books, and saw that the tanner had produced 29 leather armour during those 10 years, which he calculated to be 2.9 leather armour produced each year, or 0.24 each month. The farmer was pleased with the result, and decided to build another tannery, and hire one more tanner.

Another 10 years went by, and the dairy farmer had a new look at his books: The two tanners had produced 55 leather armour, which meant that each tanner had produced 2.75 leather armour each year, or 0.23 each month. The dairy farmer got very excited by his newfound profitable niche, and decided to double his production capacity.

After another 10 years, the books showed that his 4 tanners had produced 104 leather armour, equivalent to each tanner having produced 2.6 leather armour each year, or 0.22 each month. The dairy farmer was ecstatic, and wondered what would happen if he doubled his production capacity again? He right away decided to try, and so he build 4 more tanneries, and hired tanners accordingly.

After yet another 10 years, it was again time for examining the books. His 8 tanners had produced 204 leather armour, equivalent to each having produced 2.55 each year, or 0.21 each month. The dairy farmer was baffled. This was completely beyond his expectations. He immediately decided to increase his tanning production capacity by only 50%, as he did not want to stretch his luck.

Guess what, another 10 years went by, and the same thing happened: The dairy farmer examined his books, and found that his 12 tanners had produced 289 leather armour, meaning each tanner had produced 2.41 each year, or 0.21 each month. "This must be the work of God", the dairy farmer thought. "Maybe I am blessed?" With newfound confidense he decided to increase his production capacity by a third.

Another 10 years went by, and the dairy farmer was getting older, but not yet ready for retirement. He again examined his books, and found that his 16 tanners had produced 338 leather armour, equivalent to each tanner producing 2.11 each year, og 0.18 each month. The dairy farmer sensed that he was about to reach the limit of his enterprise, but decided to build yet another 4 tanneries.

Same old story. Another 10 years went by, and the dairy farmer once again examined his books. His notion about reaching the production capacity limit showed to be correct. The 20 tanners had produced 340 leather armour, which was almost the same as 16 tanners had produced in the same period, and so realized that the last 4 tanneries - and their employees - was a bad investment.

The dairy farmer finally decided to have 12-14 tanneries, and thus still be able to make a little cheese. He just loved the happiness, that the small food supplement of cheese created among his fellow villagers.

At last the dairy farmer was ready for retirement, and wanted to turn over his thriving business to his son. But his son had other plans! "I have just bought a one-way travel pass to the holy city of Jerusalem at local office of Cruader Pillage Tours", he said. His father was sad to hear this, but decided to reveal the secrets of his business, so his son could fare well in the holy land.

The dairy farmers son finally arrived in the holy land, upon many a hardship, and set up a business exactly like his father had told him. Not surprisingly, it turned out to be just as prosperous as it had been in the old country.

Both father and son lived happily (and wealthy) until they perished!

And believe me: It's a true story!

Image: The setup used for both SH and SHC. Numbers indicate production order. Tanneries 16-20 was added to the 4 existing rows (bottom right)

Selected production figures from the dairy farmers books:

01 tanners produce 029 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.90/year 0.24/month)
02 tanners produce 055 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.75/year 0,23/month)
04 tanners produce 104 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.60/year 0.22/month)
08 tanners produce 204 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.55/year 0.21/month)
12 tanners produce 289 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.41/year 0.20/month)
14 tanners produce 319 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.28/year 0.19/month)
16 tanners produce 338 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.11/year 0.18/month)
20 tanners produce 340 leather armour in 10 years (average: 1.70/year 0.14/month)

the above without the "deceptive" data:

04 tanners produce 104 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.60/year 0.22/month)
08 tanners produce 204 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.55/year 0.21/month)
12 tanners produce 289 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.41/year 0.20/month)
16 tanners produce 338 leather armour in 10 years (average: 2.11/year 0.18/month)
20 tanners produce 340 leather armour in 10 years (average: 1.70/year 0.14/month)

Btw: The tanners work in a mysterious way. As far as I can see, they happily use each others tanneries if they can't pick up a cow, and simply continue working on any leftover hide. Try observing them yourself. Can't figure out if it's a strength or weakness, but I'm leaning towards "strength". The tanners seem to be very efficient.

I haven't seen a description of the above before, and it seems like most players are unaware of this, but what do I know?