Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Idyll - an Upcoming Release
posted 01-21-08 12:50 EST (US)   
Hi guys, this is Antithesis with a few screenshots and words about my latest project - Idyll!

It's an invasion for the original Stronghold, and I still haven't scripted it yet. However, I do have all of the terrain and castle finished (but not quite edited yet), and there are a few screenshots below. But first, a few words about the map itself.

I wanted to keep fiddling around with the idea of a ruined castle that the player must rebuild, an idea that first came up in my earlier invasion for Crusader, Tainted Water. But, seeing as I like the original SH editor better, I decided to make another invasion. In this map, I tried to focus less on the castle, and more on creating a lush, beautiful landscape; one often comes across invasions with huge, ready-made castles, and I (this is a personal opinion) don't really like them. I left a ruined castle for the player, and that was it. However, the landscape is full of little ravines, nooks, and crannies, and I spent quite an amount of time on the terraining. Alas, I forgot to pause the editor, and the trees began growing like mad, forcing me to erase about two thirds of them . Oh well.

Anyways, enough words and more screenies. Here they are:

The mini-map:

The ruined castle:

Some of the surrounding countryside:

A different view:

The story and more to come later as the map progresses!

The map should be released in a few weeks, during March break at the latest and in one or two weeks at the earliest - it's hard to say as of yet.

All suggestions, comments, and criticism appreciated!

As I haven't finished scripting, I am offering to make this a joint project with anyone that is willing to script and is skilled at scripting. If not, I'll script it myself, and anyone who is willing to playtest can be counted as a co-author. My thanks and appreciation!

|<~---~|-A-| A N T I T H E S I S |--|~---~>|

"I am the Alpha and the Omega." - God

Unscrupulous Neighbours | A Small Quarrel | Of Swords and Apples | Tainted Water | Idyll (in progress)

[This message has been edited by Antithesis (edited 01-22-2008 @ 05:45 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-21-08 13:24 EST (US)     1 / 20  
and more on creating a lush, beautiful landscape
...and that you have done my friend!

I was surprised to see this minimap...had to scroll up to see who made it!

Keep up the good work, you're developing very quick as a designer!

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 01-21-08 13:42 EST (US)     2 / 20  
Thanks, Younghappy! It's really encouraging to hear such praise from a master designer! To tell you the truth, this is my first serious map using the original SH editor - I got a lot of pointers from looking at your Saviour of Leugim campaign!

The offer is still open to anyone who would like to co-author this map, by scripting or playtesting! I would greatly appreciate it!

Unscrupulous Neighbours | A Small Quarrel | Of Swords and Apples | Tainted Water | Idyll (in progress)
posted 01-21-08 14:14 EST (US)     3 / 20  
This map looks as if it is going to be right up my street. Like you I prefer to build my own settlement and economy rather than be handed a big castle. The landscape looks great

I would suggest you could make your own script. But why not get some ideas by looking at the scripts of other maps such as Duke of York's foe example, or any map you have found exciting to play. OPen the script in the editor and try to relate the events and invasions back to your playing experience. That way you will get ideas about what to put in your map.

Signpost placement can be important. Try to place signposts equidistant from the keep if you can. Invasions tend to arrive at the signpost nearest the keep. If one is too close then invasions will arrive at that one a bit too predictably.

Edit:
And don't worry too much about working with the editor not paused. I often work that way too. You can end up with a more "natural" forrest that way - different aged trees etc. So this is not always a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 01-21-2008 @ 03:39 PM).]

posted 01-21-08 14:24 EST (US)     4 / 20  
Thanks for the advice, ericgolf - it's very helpful! I'll put it into action right away...as soon as I get some time, of course. Sigh...these cursed essays...:P

posted 01-21-08 19:56 EST (US)     5 / 20  
It looks excellent. Nice work. Very realistic. Reminds me of some of the hillier areas around where I live.

I'm not sure if that's what I'd call a lush landscape. Certainly detailed, but it doesn't look super-ultra fertile from the screenshots.

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"

[This message has been edited by Timballisto (edited 01-21-2008 @ 07:58 PM).]

posted 01-22-08 15:30 EST (US)     6 / 20  
Thanks, Timballisto - it seems I've accomplished my goal in evoking a realistic landscape. Perhaps I should reword it - not lush, but alive, living, and not barren. Anyhow, thanks for the comment!

I'm currently working on the edited version of this map - this is just the rough draft, if you will. Possibly ruins, definitely better terraining and detail, and definitely a story, etc. will be added. More screenshots and details to come later!

[This message has been edited by Antithesis (edited 01-22-2008 @ 05:42 PM).]

posted 01-23-08 00:10 EST (US)     7 / 20  
I noticed there arent any shrubs in your countryside, I always liked using them did you forget them or did you think they looked ugly?

Also if you want a scripter I might be able to help you my email address is on my account.
posted 01-23-08 03:29 EST (US)     8 / 20  
Looks good, Antithesis! The landscape is particularly effective
posted 01-23-08 09:12 EST (US)     9 / 20  
Thanks, Sulis!

And to JuBuOrangie:

If you look closely you can see some shrubs; the resolution is sort of bad. I'll contact you some time and send you a copy of the map after I've edited it some more. Thanks for the offer!

EDIT: I tend to use shrubs more like clumps of plants and bushes underneath trees or in rocky crags and such; I'll post another screen of a part of the map that has that.

[This message has been edited by Antithesis (edited 01-23-2008 @ 04:19 PM).]

posted 01-23-08 12:06 EST (US)     10 / 20  
You are very carefull designer, you pay attention to all of the details in your maps and this makes them so fantastic... As I can see from the screenshots this shouldn't be a map, which would be ignored, the idea of the so called "castle" a.k.a. ruins is very nice, original and whole of those ruins make a lot of obstacles, which could be used as advantages or disadvantages... For the terrain could be judged far from the minimap or from your name It reminds me of vietnamese deltas, good job and keep going with the same spirit, mate

No pain, no gain!
posted 01-23-08 16:24 EST (US)     11 / 20  
Thanks for the kind words, Hitman! I think detail is one of the things I appreciate most in maps, and so I try to put that in my own as well. It's good that my map reminded you of a real place; it means I've done my job in making a realistic map!

I think you'll be glad to know that I will be editing this map even more, adding more detail and realism! (and some more ruins as well)

More screenshots, the 1st draft and a story to come later!

Hopefully I'm generating a little hype...

posted 01-25-08 00:59 EST (US)     12 / 20  
Looking good Antithesis

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+¤=≡↵-._◊¤†¤◊_.-↵≡=¤+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~¤+¤=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=¤+¤~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"Ï'~.-=¤◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=¤~-¤._◊_.¤-~¤=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊¤=-.~'Ï"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
posted 01-27-08 10:24 EST (US)     13 / 20  
Thanks Surajsubba - that means a lot coming from you!

I've finished the first draft of the map, and I think it should be released in a week or two. I haven't had time to actually type up the story (I'm planning on making it at least one or two pages in Word, 12 Times New Roman), but I do have the concept up. Basically, I'm thinking something along the lines of a son whose family is nobility, but have no money and no lands. They have been driven off from their estate by a rival family or bandits (can't decide yet). The family has been killed off or have turned to drinking, and you, the heir and the last one left, have only a sword and your deed (certificate of nobility). You rebuild your family's glory in their old estate, but watch out - the bandits/rival family are still out there.

Anyways, here are the screenshots I promised:

Some ruins:

Some more ruins:

Your grandfather's grave (can you spot it?):

I'll post a panoramic, full-map screenshot some time next week - I pretty much only have time on the weekends.

Oh, and JuBuOrangie: I've sent you the map.

An excerpt from the story and full-map screenshot to come soon!

posted 01-27-08 10:49 EST (US)     14 / 20  
Looks great, no idea why this thread had slipped from my sights...
My only word of advice would be this: dont be afraid to use large stones, when used correctly they look fantastic

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
posted 01-27-08 11:05 EST (US)     15 / 20  
Alright Ill take a look and see what I can do.

EDIT: My e-mail on my account is out of date, my new e-mail is JuBuOrangie@dishup.us sorry for the confusion.

[This message has been edited by JuBuOrangie (edited 01-27-2008 @ 11:16 AM).]

posted 01-27-08 11:27 EST (US)     16 / 20  
Thanks, WD! Yes, I tried the large stones a few times in the semi-waterfall area (on the revised map), and I thought they looked pretty good. I'll be sure to put 'em in in the second draft!

@JuBuOrangie - I see; I'll send it to you on the new address then.

posted 01-27-08 22:30 EST (US)     17 / 20  
I still have not recieved the map... I checked junkmail as well, try sending it one more time if I still dont recieve it we can use a file sharing website.
posted 01-28-08 07:21 EST (US)     18 / 20  
Sorry about that JuBuOrangie, but I think it should work this time. My address is meltedpopsicle@gmail.com. Email me if you have any questions. Thanks!

I've managed to get some time to do a full-map,panoramic shot, so here it is! (I never thought it would look this nice! :P)

The story is well under way, and it'll be good enough for an excerpt to be posted in a few days or so.

[This message has been edited by Antithesis (edited 01-28-2008 @ 10:27 AM).]

posted 01-28-08 12:23 EST (US)     19 / 20  
Nice !
posted 01-30-08 14:41 EST (US)     20 / 20  
Thanks, ericgolf! It's really encouraging coming from a veteran designer!

The story should be up by tomorrow or the weekend, I'm not sure as of yet. JuBuOrangie is still scripting, but I think the map should be out at least within a few weeks or more. I hope everyone is looking forward to this map!

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room » Idyll - an Upcoming Release
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames