Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Haudenosaunee - People of the Long House
posted 07-20-10 18:59 EST (US)   
Hello fellow fans of Stronghold!

Allow me to reintroduce my self. I’m Josh, and I have been designing for stronghold for fun and myself for quite some time. I have one published map on SHH, "The Scottish regalia" I advertised one other map in this forum that I never published because I became to busy with school work. During the school year I very rarely played stronghold, but now I’m back!

I’m about to finish an original map for Stronghold, and I thought I would give you a sneak peak. The map is inspired by Lord Ako's "The Ice Age" as well as maps by Sulis and WL_D. The map's theme is Native Americans, more specifically the Iroquois, also known as Haudenosaunee (People of the long house.) The Map is Large (400x400) and the terrain is roughly based on the actual terrain where the Iroquois lived, my native state, PA. The map features the edge of the Appalachian Mountains, the Allegheny Plateau, and a non-specific river. The map includes some eye candy, including sunken apple trees to look like bushes of berries that your gatherers can collect, a bloody wolf kill made by using a combination of the magic eraser and the 1000 stones trick, and my favorite, 3 custom longhouses made from wooden walls and stairs! =P

You take on the role of Chief of the Mohawk Tribe, one of the 5 original tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy. A man calling himself "The Great Peace Maker" has come to your village to bring peace to the five tribes. He has instructed you to give a peace offering to the Onondaga Chief, the last of the five tribal chiefs to join the Iroquois confederacy. Be careful, as the Algonquians to the north will do everything in their power to stop the 5 tribes from uniting, Including sending their elite warriors to defeat you.

Screen Shots will follow soon, and as play testing by myself is coming to a close, I will be looking for 1 or 2 people to test my map before it is submitted.

Josh

"You see things; and say, 'Why' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" - George Bernard Shaw

My First Map - "The Scottish Regalia"
Replies:
posted 07-21-10 03:32 EST (US)     1 / 21  
Hey Josh2013,

you give us interesting news! And make my mouth water ...

What was that about wolf kill & magic eraser?

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
posted 07-21-10 04:51 EST (US)     2 / 21  
Please show us the screenshots :P
posted 07-21-10 06:14 EST (US)     3 / 21  
That sounds really cool I'm looking forward to see how you handle this one.
posted 07-21-10 11:29 EST (US)     4 / 21  
Here are some pics!

Mini Map

nothing special, just part of the village and river.

there are 5 groups of 'berry bushes' that gatherers from the village can collect food from.

The Mission strart with a large fire, but only trees are burning. The Iroquois would burn down sections of forest to farm, though in the game you must wait 5 years for the trees to disapear to begin farming.

This is the 'Control Panal." The wooden hut lets you control if you have villagers gathering berriers. By turning the well on you will have 6 villagers run to the river to get water to put out fires.

Again nothing special, just part of the mountains.

The Alegheny Plateau.

The 'Wolf kill.' I used the magic eraser to delete the front 3 tiles of a hunters post. I then put an invisable stone on the part I wanted to keep, and deleted the rest of the building. If you look closely you can see the carcas of the deer! Nothing ground breaking, but an original piece of eyecandy I believe.

The Longhouse! There are 3 and each one took nearly an hour to make. You cant tell in this picture but there is smoke that comes out of the roof!

An overview of the starting village. Your economy is spread out, and food production is limited. The berries will keep your economy going until you expand. After building just one hovel you will need to start hunting, but start to soon, and you risk killing the only herd of deer on the map!

well I hope you all like it. I'm not the best map designer, so any pointers are much apreciated. Again, anyone wanting to playtest it should be ready within a week.

"You see things; and say, 'Why' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 07-21-10 12:50 EST (US)     5 / 21  
Hey mate I've gotta tell you I'm really stunned. I really appreciate the feeling of a small village or town, somehow, bonded with nature. You've created just that and only by looking at the map I feel the urge to try it out. It looks amazing and the small details you payed attention to are sure winners. The only thing that caught my eye in a "negative" wat was the Plateau and the randomly placed stones. They kind of stick out you know. Imo you should tweak it a little more. Not nessesarily add more things. If you want to keep it plain I suggest working on the ground itself. A good trick which also Lord Ako used is you place random river tiles and than cover them with grass. The effect is quick and stunning. And so forth you could mod the ground until it achieves a more natural look.

A more difficult method, that I would use, you could intertwine the river with the plain you know. I don't know if it's geographicaly correct, but by adjusting the ground around a body of water you always come to a very realistic look. However this may not be suited for what you've planned.

Either way the map looks teriffic and I hope we could all enjoy it soon
posted 07-21-10 19:11 EST (US)     6 / 21  
Thanks! that means alot. I fooled around with the random river tiles idea and i have to say i rather like the look. I think in the plateau i will remove most of the random 'Rocks' and add a few more 'stones' so its more realistic and not to drab. I do have a few sunken flowers in case no one noticed Also, could you be mor specific about your comment of interwining the river with the plateau? I dont want to add river on the plateau though, because i'm trying to recreat a satalite image i saw of the plateau, where everything looked flat, with rivers cutting away sharp valleys in the plateau. The best example of this is the small part of river in the top left corner.

posted 07-21-10 19:40 EST (US)     7 / 21  
Those long houses are fabulous!!

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 07-21-2010 @ 07:40 PM).]

posted 07-22-10 11:57 EST (US)     8 / 21  
This map looks stunning.

Great stuff, good to see some new and interesting designs around the site again.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it -Voltaire
posted 07-22-10 15:21 EST (US)     9 / 21  
I can surely see the Lord Ako influences. He was a master of adapting different ages and cultures into the Stronghold editor and you have made a wonderful effort of doing the same in this map too.

Great eyecandy and landscape scultping. The mountainous plateau looks fine. Some folks including myself tend to be very liberal with rocks and other things in the mountains and it's good to see a hilly landscape like this that isn't too crowded or rugged.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 07-22-10 19:00 EST (US)     10 / 21  
Thank you all so much! I may make a copy of the map and change the plateau slightly and see which looks better.

A few deatails about the map I thought I should mention. First the map is not suposed to be completely historicaly acurate. Many libertys are taken to improve the gameplay and adapt it for stronghold. Also very little is known about pre-contact america, and few details about the events relating to this map are known. Second this is an eco-vasion, to get the resourses for the peace offering, and defend your village from the alagonquins. The peace offerings consist of Spears (12) and Tabbacco, (Hops; 12). The mission is kinda short, only about 15 game years, so those requirments are harder to meet than you may think at first, though i think i may increase the hops to 18 or 20. Also because of the fire you have to wait about 5 game years to place any hops farms unless you want to place then on the other side of the map. Any invasion will almost always destroy the farms. Raising gold to build poleturners is difficult, plus your will need spearmen to defend your castle, so this is also harder than it seems. Its not really a puzzle, but i wont spoil anything by revealing the best ways to get money. The only other point worth mentioning is that there is only one 'master bowmaker' in the village, so if the only fletcher in the village is destoryed you cant build more.

**Edit**
Well i played around with the terrain for a little bit, taking out some stones and using the random river tiles idea. I'm leaning towards the new version, but what do you all think? Not a huge differance, but its noticeable.

Old/New

[This message has been edited by Josh2013 (edited 07-22-2010 @ 08:17 PM).]

posted 07-23-10 05:29 EST (US)     11 / 21  
Maybe add the odd upward click around each stone? to mask the square base of the stone? Rotate view round each stone to check each side maybe?

Aother good way of hiding the square base of a stone is to have a bush next to it. In this case you might not want more bushes though to keep the sparse feel.

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 07-23-2010 @ 05:31 AM).]

posted 07-24-10 00:06 EST (US)     12 / 21  
This looks great and from your description it sounds like it will test the players' abilities which I'm a big fan of. (As you probably know ) It's always nice to hear my maps still inspire people. I love that quote in your signature btw!

[This message has been edited by Lord Ako (edited 07-24-2010 @ 00:09 AM).]

posted 07-24-10 03:33 EST (US)     13 / 21  
stunning

Yes, the longhouses, wolf kill, landscape look like that(no kidding). Joyful and stimulating.
test the players' abilities

+1.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
posted 07-25-10 20:09 EST (US)     14 / 21  
I will try that ericgolf, never really thought about that before. Thanks Peter!

Lord Ako, I would be honored if i could email you the map and get your opinion before I release it. Not to playtest it unless you want to, just mabey 1 playthrough?

I made small changes to the terrain, mainly the plateau. I use the random water tiles idea as well as the idea of raising the dirt around rocks to hide their square base. I also replaced the bushes on the plateau with the samll shrubs in the top row of the editor, and made them all brown to keep the sparse feel. (Didn't realize you can change their color until today )

I also added a Native American burial ground. Too corny or do you all like it?

Im Getting very close to finishing playtesting this map myself. If anyone is intrested in playtesting let me know, I would like a second opinion before I release it.

Also, I have 2 great ideas for future maps

[This message has been edited by Josh2013 (edited 07-30-2010 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 08-07-10 20:47 EST (US)     15 / 21  
Hi Josh! Yes, I'd like to give this map a go so send it over pls. (aron _ ako @ hotmail . com) without the spaces
I also replaced the bushes on the plateau with the samll shrubs in the top row of the editor, and made them all brown to keep the sparse feel. (Didn't realize you can change their color until today)
Careful with that, IIRC each click on a bush to change color will count as a sprite and so you'll quickly reach the limit.

[This message has been edited by Lord Ako (edited 08-08-2010 @ 11:19 AM).]

posted 08-07-10 22:41 EST (US)     16 / 21  
I also added a Native American burial ground. Too corny or do you all like it?
Looks great, in my opinion.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it -Voltaire
posted 08-08-10 05:49 EST (US)     17 / 21  
It is looking even better. And the burial ground looks good too
posted 08-08-10 14:16 EST (US)     18 / 21  
Keep the burial ground, it's a nice addition

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 08-08-10 17:20 EST (US)     19 / 21  
Thanks Guys. I just got back from a week of camp, so i should be able to finish it up in the following days.

Lord Ako, thank you so much. Im going to play through it one or two more times myself and then I will send it over.

posted 08-10-10 10:40 EST (US)     20 / 21  
No problemo Josh, take your time and send it over when you're ready.
posted 08-16-10 09:44 EST (US)     21 / 21  
Hello lord ako, I sent the map over, thanks again

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room » Haudenosaunee - People of the Long House
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames