Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Siege That! Competition 2014
posted 10-22-14 03:43 EST (US)   
Siege That Competition 2014

Hello there, recently it has occurred to me that a competition on this site may be a good idea to get more people who lurk within the downloads section to become more active (and also to drag some old players out of the woodwork)

Therefore I have decided to create a competition based upon the Siege That! mode in Stronghold 1, as the whole idea behind this mode was to create siege maps that you could challenge your friends with.

The rules

The rules of this contest are simple;

Entries must be submitted to the Siege That! Downloads section with STC2014 within the name. Any submitted without it will not be judged. You have been warned!

No editing or updating of the map after the deadline.

Entries must be submitted before the competition closes.

One entry per person.

Entries must be created within the Siege That! Editor.

All entries must adhere to the stone and gold limit within the Siege That! editor.

Stronghold Versions do not matter.

If there are not enough entries for a valid competition, then the deadline will be extended slightly before the competition will be called off as a failure.

No flaming! This is a friendly competition and people are expected to act as such.

Prizes

I'm not actually sure myself on this front; maybe the glory of having won? Being able to say it won in the map description in the downloads?, and therefore, by extension, more downloads?

Entrants
Timballisto
Ircher

Judges
Erskine Ravel (I shall not be entering the competition myself, and so I have chosen to judge)
Captain Diablo

Judging Criteria

(0/10) Playability-How fun the map was to play.

(0/10) Difficulty-How difficult the map was to beat-Harder gets more points.

(0/5) Story-How good the story was-this can be anything from a description to a prologue and so forth (Instructions and hints are included within this marking criteria)

(0/5) Castle Design-As you cannot design the map in Siege That! This will be based purely on the design of the castle that has been made.

Final Mark is out of 30.

Example

I have recently posted an example Siege That! map to the downloads section. The map is entitled FerthHelm Signal-Fort, and I have created it just to show that a map can be created very quickly and easily and it is also, to provide castle design help to people. Download it here: FerthHelm Signal-Fort

The Competition is now closed

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
"Doors are for people with no imagination."-Skulduggery Pleasant
_____v____v_V___________v______V___v________(\ /) _ (\ /) ____V___v_________v__V__________v___________
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )

[This message has been edited by Erskine Ravel (edited 11-26-2014 @ 05:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-03-14 18:43 EST (US)     1 / 19  
I need to find my disk again...

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"
posted 11-09-14 01:44 EST (US)     2 / 19  
Erskine Ravel, nicely done. You may want to make a post in web announcements and link back to this page. Also if you have mapmakers in mind you may want to let them know you are holding this competition too. That may take a email or posting on the downloads on one of their maps.

«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
posted 11-10-14 05:32 EST (US)     3 / 19  
Thank you for the message Lady Arcola, I have added a post in the Website Announcements here: Competition post

I will get to the e-mailing of potential candidates right away! (And may I ask if you would be willing of entering or judging, Lady Arcola?)

Timballisto, funnily enough you were one of the people I was going to email about this, as your Stronghold maps are brilliant. May I ask if you could sign up?

Remember, this is all being done as a way to bring more interest to this community.

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
_____v____v_V___________v______V___v________(\ /) _ (\ /) ____V___v_________v__V__________v___________
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )

[This message has been edited by Erskine Ravel (edited 11-10-2014 @ 05:33 AM).]

posted 11-16-14 11:38 EST (US)     4 / 19  
Ah shucks, I don't see how I could possibly reply no to that! I've located my disk, I can participate.

-DOOMBRINGER-
posted 11-17-14 22:06 EST (US)     5 / 19  
Question: I see nothing in the rules about this, but, I imagine it might not be well received. Is a siege that in which the keep is not accessible to melee soldiers, but within reach of ranged units, acceptable?

-DOOMBRINGER-
posted 11-18-14 05:22 EST (US)     6 / 19  
I think it should be accessible, even if it is just a little; e.g. has a small section of wall that a siege tower or laddermen can reach.

Enemy troops should be reachable but the Lord doesn't have to be. (It doesn't really give the Lord a fighting chance though. Remember, he is quite strong.)

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )
posted 11-18-14 16:53 EST (US)     7 / 19  
Hmm... perhaps ill give it a try....
posted 11-19-14 20:50 EST (US)     8 / 19  
but the Lord doesn't have to be
...So the lord doesn't *have* to be accessible? Just the soldiers?

-DOOMBRINGER-
posted 11-20-14 03:40 EST (US)     9 / 19  
...So the lord doesn't *have* to be accessible? Just the soldiers?
Well... no... but, as I said, it is not very sporting just standing a bunch of ranged troops to fire at the Lord on the keep.

Ircher: I have placed your name in the entrants section, but do not feel as though I am pressuring you to enter, if you run out of time or cannot make an entry, then just write it in the comments and I will remove your name from the list.

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )

[This message has been edited by Erskine Ravel (edited 11-20-2014 @ 03:45 AM).]

posted 11-21-14 19:18 EST (US)     10 / 19  
Okay, my entry has been submitted.

-DOOMBRINGER-
posted 11-21-14 20:30 EST (US)     11 / 19  
Ok! Timballisto's scenario, STC2014 - Haphazard, is here!

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 11-21-2014 @ 08:32 PM).]

posted 11-22-14 11:33 EST (US)     12 / 19  
Submitted my entry; tracking number is 7021 i believe...
posted 11-25-14 16:49 EST (US)     13 / 19  
And here it is, Approved

~~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 11-25-14 21:21 EST (US)     14 / 19  
dang it, a typo in the name… novice not noice………
posted 11-26-14 04:04 EST (US)     15 / 19  
Well then... I guess we have our entries. There are less than I was expecting but nevertheless some interesting maps.

The Competition is now closed and judging has commenced.

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )
posted 12-09-14 07:34 EST (US)     16 / 19  
I am sorry for any delay. I am currently awaiting Captain Diablo's results before I can announce the winner.

If Captain Diablo does not send the results within a reasonable amount of time, then I will go along with my own judging.

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )
posted 12-30-14 09:22 EST (US)     17 / 19  
Can we please have the results before New Year's Eve? Its been over a month of waiting…
posted 12-31-14 13:43 EST (US)     18 / 19  
Hi Ircher, I guess you will need to have patience

Competitions can take a while for judging. Coordination between judges can take up a lot of time. Your judges are volunteers and I am sure they are doing their best. Also this time of year can be busy for people with family commitments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 02-17-15 17:47 EST (US)     19 / 19  
Howdy. What's the word on judging?

-DOOMBRINGER-
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room » Siege That! Competition 2014
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames