Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 2nd Stronghold Historical Castle Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 09-25-05 00:08 EST (US)   

The 2nd Stronghold Historical Castle Competition

As designing a historical castle was the most requested contest idea in The Jousting Ground, Stronghold 2 Heaven is proud to present the 2nd Historical Castle Competition.

Unlike previous contests, entries in this contest may be submitted from the original Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader, or Stronghold 2 games. If sufficient entries are submitted from each game, then we may decide to have a winner for each.

We have selected 7 castles for you to choose from (including 3 Crusader castles), and to get you started have found some historical information and floor plans on each of them.

•Carreg Cennon in Wales [castle info * floor plan]
•Warkworth in England [castle info * floor plan]
•Harlech in Wales [castle info & floor plan * aerial photo]
•Conwy in Wales [castle info * floor plan * aerial photo]

Crusader castles:

•Margat (Marqab) in Syria [castle info * floor plan]
•Krak de Chevaliers in Syria [castle info * floor plan]
•Mamure Kalesi in Turkey [castle info * floor plan]

Your entry should be as close to your chosen castle as possible, but can be of any of the available mission types. We'd like you to base any scenario details on historical events, but we're open to some creative 'What if?' scenarios as well.

So what exactly are we asking you to do?

•The map and castle should be based, as accurately as possible, on one of the 7 historical castles listed above.
•The scenario should be based on a historical event involving that castle, or on a feasible What if?

Other rules and notes:

•The closing date for entries is 30th November 2005.
•All scenario categories can be used.
•We will only accept scenarios that have not been uploaded before, but you can submit a scenario based on a castle already featured on Stronghold Heaven.
•Entries will be judged by the SH Staff on accuracy, historical merit and (of course) playability.

First prize: game of the winner's choice, up to US$40
Second prize: choice of HG t-shirt or hat

Entries should be sent to kester@heavengames.com

Good luck!
The Stronghold Heaven Staff

.-•°•-.-• Kester •-.-•°•-.
•-.-•°•-.-• deviations .-•°•-. flickr .-•°•-. gamertag •-.-•°•-.-•
.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.

[This message has been edited by Kester (edited 09-27-2005 @ 01:25 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-25-05 23:14 EST (US)     1 / 155  
Sounds good we are in. Hows it work for us?
do we need to work seperatly and also can we have multiple entries?
Arthus
posted 09-25-05 23:19 EST (US)     2 / 155  
You can work together on this one, and multiple entries are ok.

.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
posted 09-26-05 00:04 EST (US)     3 / 155  
thanks, possibly 3 entries including 1 crusader map are what we have in mind.... we are on holidays for another week- the annoucement of this comp couldn't have come at a better time ,
Arthus
posted 09-26-05 00:11 EST (US)     4 / 155  
That's good to hear - I'm glad we didn't delay it

posted 09-26-05 01:38 EST (US)     5 / 155  
sorry question after question here.
I have been researching Carreg Cennen Castle and started but in recent photos the terrain is very green due to the farms. When the castle was in its prime the terrain was alot different. My question is will you judge terrain on recent photos or old paintings and written descriptions.

A sort of similar problem is the fact that the hill on which is situated has flatened over time. I have been reading that the castle had only 1 possible way of going up and down the hill/cliff. But in recent photos 1 whole side, even though it is steep is in fact walkable.

I am possibly putting to much thought into this but it has to be accurate right? ,
Arthus

posted 09-26-05 02:24 EST (US)     6 / 155  
Good question. If you find an old painting you're working from, it would be helpful if you could send a link to it (if it's on the web) along with your entry. Terrain *will* change over time, especially with the castles now surrounded by cities.

posted 09-26-05 06:50 EST (US)     7 / 155  
I agree - I think you should include copies of photos that infleunced you to re-create the castle as you did. This shows detailed thought and planning on your part.

Also, If I can be of any assistance, please dont hesitate to ask.

Duke of York
"..The Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world." 1 John 4:14
posted 09-26-05 10:42 EST (US)     8 / 155  
Can we make crusader castels in strongold 2?

p.s. krak des chevaliers is my favorite castle!

one land,one king
posted 09-26-05 14:43 EST (US)     9 / 155  
That would be fine
- Good luck with your map making!
posted 09-27-05 01:26 EST (US)     10 / 155  
Updated the header post with the prize information

posted 09-27-05 01:49 EST (US)     11 / 155  
i WAS in it just for fun but now....... ,
Arthus
posted 09-27-05 01:54 EST (US)     12 / 155  
Well, hopefully it'll still be for fun

posted 09-27-05 04:44 EST (US)     13 / 155  
First prize: game of the winner's choice, up to US$40
Second prize: choice of HG t-shirt or hat

Put me down for a Crusader - Mamure Kalesi map.

Lollard

posted 09-27-05 15:42 EST (US)     14 / 155  
I wouldn't be entirely certain, but I may decide to try and wip something up. Its been over a year since I last made anything, after all

EDIT: Never used Crusader before. Krak too hard. Margat for me

house won this

[This message has been edited by Jax (edited 09-27-2005 @ 04:37 PM).]

posted 09-27-05 17:02 EST (US)     15 / 155  
Go for it Jax, the more the merrier
posted 09-28-05 10:30 EST (US)     16 / 155  
hi, please can someone tell me more simple what must i do for the competition? i'd like to play this competition but i don't understand very well english and so i don't know exatly what must i do for the competition.
thx by master teo
posted 09-30-05 19:11 EST (US)     17 / 155  
hi, please can someone tell me more simple what must i do for the competition? i'd like to play this competition but i don't understand very well english and so i don't know exatly what must i do for the competition.
thx by master teo

-=Translation

Hello, could someone please tell me what i must to do for the competition. I'd would like to join the compition but what excatly must i do?

Do you mean enter the competition, or to design a castle mentioned above. If you could tell me what language, perhaps i could translate it for you?

.+"+ . +"+. Brandon Lavoie .+"+ . +"+
.+"+ . +"+. Stronghold Heaven .+"+ . +"+. Age of Empires Heaven .+"+ . +"+.
posted 10-01-05 03:47 EST (US)     18 / 155  
Well, as he comes from Italy, I'm guessing its Italian.

For some reason, I really can't use the Crusader editor. Something to do with how the crenallations work.

*hunts for original Stronghold*

house won this
posted 10-01-05 07:06 EST (US)     19 / 155  
As already said in a different thread by me:

Google Language Translator gave me this. It's never very accurate but here goes:

il concorso deve fare un programma basato su uno dei sette castelli nel filetto di concorso.

Spero che aiuti (means:I hope that helps?)

Ciao

My deviant art..Add me losers..
posted 10-01-05 07:19 EST (US)     20 / 155  
I think this comp will be great
posted 10-01-05 08:11 EST (US)     21 / 155  
thx now i know something more
posted 10-03-05 05:38 EST (US)     22 / 155  
Hi guys,
Arthus and I have pretty much finished our map of Carreg Cennen and we are thinking of doing another on Conwy.
I was just curious as to this particular castle plan i found, there appears to be a Kings Chamber across from the castle any Ideas on that.

I notice that in current pictures it doesnt appear to stil stand, is this the case? Could you let us know.

Heres the site,
http://www.greatcastlesofwales.co.uk/conwy_plan.htm
Just curious more than anything else, as to whether we would have to include it in the map we make.

Thanks,
WL_D. Alexus.

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 10-03-2005 @ 07:01 AM).]

posted 10-03-05 12:15 EST (US)     23 / 155  
From the aerial photo of Conwy it looks like the King's Chamber is no longer there, but sure, that can be included!

posted 10-04-05 06:12 EST (US)     24 / 155  
Hey there, I’ve stumbled across the very same question Warlords have embarked on and not sure which direction to go in – the purest in me is saying do the chambers but I dunno? Were they originally in the plan and will these chambers make my map any better?............. Certainly one to think about

Greetings all.

posted 10-04-05 10:02 EST (US)     25 / 155  
I'd probably do the chambers if I were doing that castle... and if there were still room for it on my map.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » 2nd Stronghold Historical Castle Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames