You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: custom game briefings and messages.
posted 11-09-11 04:16 EST (US)   
This is a continuation of the following thread

http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=st&fn=22&tn=3866&st=7#post8

I set it as a new thread for 2 reasons.
1st I think this discussion deserves a thread of its own.
2nd No double posting, whilst a prudent tactic, has limitations and im tired of editing the same last post with no indication anyone even knows its been edited.

In my quest to make an entire campaign which includes in mission briefings i came across this article. Its from another fan site, but im a one site kinda guy and want to discuss it here with you lot as this is my 'home' when it comes to stronghold.

http://www.stronghold-knights.com/site/article334.html

Please tell me what you guys think of this.

does it work.
are there steps that can be trimmmed or improved upon.
is it possible to add a single line to the xml file that links to a seperate file which can be used for custom maps.
(it would be nice to just add 1 line of code at the end of the xml that is non destructive(or even better 2 lines at the beginings, line one = read file xxx.xml and in said xxx.xml file, if empty; goback to main .xml file))

im no coder, so all i can do is use my imagination, but i envision a way to reduce the impact on the game whilst having several custom maps installed in such a way

To prep sh2 for custom maps with briefings, the i18n folder should contain {(folder)customs (file)en.xml (file)en-us.xml (file)lang.txt (file)custom.xml

addition modifications would include an entry in en-us.xml to call on the custom.xml file and one in custom.xml to return to en-us.xml

ok so now thats ready, lets say that a map has been made.
the downloader would download from them; The map, the map.xml instructions.txt.
In the instructions file is a single entry to add to custom.xml that drives the proccess and the map.xml would go in the customs folder.

ok thats my waffle over. my ideas could be completly useless and uneducated, but please dont let that discourage you from discussing the merits of the article linked above and any ideas you may have to progress the idea =D

Warning: Smokers computers die younger. Dont let them breath your smoke, or at least clean the heatsinks 5 times more often than a non smoker!

My opinion is free, spellchecking costs extra.

[This message has been edited by GiGaBaNE (edited 11-09-2011 @ 04:17 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-09-11 07:45 EST (US)     1 / 1  
No, when you edit posts there isn't a notification like there is for new posts so edits are often overlooked, I'll bring it up with the HG Techies.

When I said you can't make a briefing, I should have been more specific. You can't do it easily. It is a lot of work and I'm not sure everyone would be willing (and able) to backup the campaign and install the extra modded files to see it through. Not for beginners either, though I'm sure you could handle it as it's not as hard as it is tedious.

One of the main problems with this approach (as I see it) is that you have to unlock the FF maps every time you want to make additional edits to the map after saving it, since you need to build on Events not available in the SH2 Editor. Lord Britain has made a Java app to unlock maps rather than hex editing manually, it is available from SHKights but not here. Additionally, I believe they have some stripped template maps of the campaigns you can start with available for d/l.

If you wan't EPIC, go for it, but the usual plan is to just provide notes in a .txt or .doc file.

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\

[This message has been edited by Doomsword (edited 11-09-2011 @ 07:52 AM).]

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » custom game briefings and messages.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames